shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#560371 - 14/07/07 04:55 PM Re: iPhone
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA

#560372 - 17/07/07 05:30 AM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

#560373 - 17/07/07 10:28 AM Re: iPhone
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Right on the money as usual.

#560374 - 17/07/07 12:22 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only reason the Iphone will make it is the Iheads. Gotta have the Ilife, well whatever. Spend your money and scratch your screen. I will stick with my Razr.

#560375 - 17/07/07 02:38 PM Re: iPhone
Claus Offline

Alpine, the screen is Glass.

So I was in Orlando this past week on business and was given a 4GB Iphone. My first reaction was "I live in Canada this is a doorstop to me" BUT, we managed to apply the hack that unlocks most of the functionality (Wi Fi, Ipod etc) and this alone is impressive. I am off to China next thursday and have been told that the geeks at the University of Beijing (where we are going) have unlocked the phone itself, if that is indeed the fact I will be able to use my Sim card and will be a happy Mac fanboy

#560376 - 17/07/07 07:48 PM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by 3MTA3:
Alpine, the screen is Glass.

So I was in Orlando this past week on business and was given a 4GB Iphone. My first reaction was "I live in Canada this is a doorstop to me" BUT, we managed to apply the hack that unlocks most of the functionality (Wi Fi, Ipod etc) and this alone is impressive. I am off to China next thursday and have been told that the geeks at the University of Beijing (where we are going) have unlocked the phone itself, if that is indeed the fact I will be able to use my Sim card and will be a happy Mac fanboy
Yeah, but even if you unlock every ounce of potential in the thing, it still can't send a picture message, capture video, copy and paste, instant message, support any third party software, replace a battery in anything close to a convenient manner or utilize 3G speed.

As far as tech toys go, this would be a great device if it came with a free time machine to 2003.

*shrugs*

Why is this feature-less (but great first step towards a better user interface for all phones) phone getting all the hype yet nobody is talking about the coolest thing to hit cellphones in the last year?

Link to the coolest thing to hit cellphones in the last year....

#560377 - 17/07/07 08:45 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm pretty happy w/ the replacement phone I just got; the LG Chocolate Black Cherry. Does everything I need it to do (my cell phone is my mp3 player), and the user interface is just like an ipod (Apple definitely got that right).

The speaker isn't the loudest for music, but the headphones jack is freaking loud as hell.. I heard no wind noise at 110 mph wearing a full-face helmet on the motorcycle. My last phone, using the same headphones, couldn't really be heard at any speed above 60 mph or so.

Oh yeah. And 3G downloads are damned fast compared to my last phone. The GPS feature is pretty nice, too; now I can finally have turn-based directions on the bike. That makes it really nice, 'cause portable GPS's that work well on motorcycles are extremely expensive.

#560378 - 25/07/07 08:20 AM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Apple stocks just took a hit because the number of iPhone activations the last two days of the quarter weren't as high as analysts expected. Just personally - I have yet to see one on the loose, and I gotta assume half the reason someone spends $600 on a phone is to be seen with it.

I also read CNETs review. They gave it an 8 out of 10, very high for CNET. I get how this phone is already the best MP3 player/phone on the market and will be the bees knees in a generation or two when it's 3G (internet surfing speed is currently barely better than dialup), improved memory, they allow some 3rd party apps, and it can actually send and receive picture messages - but to give it an 8 just because it plays tunes and pre-loaded video better? I don't get it.

One CNET reviewer went so far as to call it the best gadget he's ever owned (accompanied by a picture of his children praying to the phone). I'd get bored with the thing and want my real time weather maps, free streaming TV and planetarium software back. Hell, at the very least I'd still want to picture message obscene messages back and forth to my friends.

I gotta admit I'm fascinated by the impact marketing can have on a cool looking gadget, thus why I've been following the developments.

#560379 - 25/07/07 08:43 AM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Hell, at the very least I'd still want to picture message obscene messages back and forth to my friends.
Best post ever laugh

#560380 - 25/07/07 09:14 AM Re: iPhone
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
CNET's reviews have become a joke. They started their decline even when James Kin was there, but it's even more noticable since he died. I only use their reviews as a small part of my research when looking for the best particular product. I think they've sold out and allow places like Apple to pay them for better reviews, but that's just my opinion with no evidence to back it up.

#560381 - 25/07/07 10:58 AM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
I think they've sold out and allow places like Apple to pay them for better reviews, but that's just my opinion with no evidence to back it up.
Something has to be up. I usually admire them for giving understated reviews, but this is the first product I've seen where their review is leaps and bounds ahead of even the user reviews - which tend to OVERstate everything good about the product.

Giving a 2nd generation smartphone that can't take video, SMS, or allow 3rd party apps an 8? I get how it deserves points for the slick interface, finally figuring out how to work as an MP3 player and phone and taking voicemail to the next step, I just disagree with how relevant that is to the overall score.

#560382 - 26/07/07 02:36 PM Re: iPhone
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:

Giving a 2nd generation smartphone that can't take video, SMS, or allow 3rd party apps an 8? I get how it deserves points for the slick interface, finally figuring out how to work as an MP3 player and phone and taking voicemail to the next step, I just disagree with how relevant that is to the overall score.
But should the ability to take video have much of an impact on others? Current cell phone video is crap, no matter what anyone says.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#560383 - 05/08/07 01:25 PM Re: iPhone
DocNo Offline

Another one jumps off the fence:

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/08/04/20-reasons-im-happy-with-the-iphone/

I'm still waiting for the next version... but it's getting harder as my Treo pisses me off more and more.

#560384 - 05/08/07 05:20 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally had a chance to test spin this phone. Overall it's really impressive.

According to the sales person, AT&T has the iphone exclusively for 2 years. Once their contract expires everyone else should have them. It's my hopes that by then a better version will be available at a better pricetag. It'll definately be my Treo replacement if that's the case.

#560385 - 06/08/07 01:19 PM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]
But should the ability to take video have much of an impact on others? Current cell phone video is crap, no matter what anyone says.[/b]
Oh, I agree. The quality is pretty bad.

But it's still good enough to send a clip of me and my buddies mooning the camera on the golf course to the one buddy that got stuck at work that afternoon. You get the point. laugh

#560386 - 05/09/07 11:57 AM Re: iPhone
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
The 8gb iPhone just dropped in price to $399.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9770620-1.html

#560387 - 06/09/07 07:56 AM Re: iPhone
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX

#560388 - 06/09/07 08:05 AM Re: iPhone
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX

#560389 - 06/09/07 06:41 PM Re: iPhone
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Attention iPhone Owners: You Paid Too Much
Apple finally steps up to the plate

I don't know of any other manufacturer that offered an across the board refund like this on a new electronic gadget.

It would have been better if they would have offered it off the start, but at least they did step up and do the right thing. I'm sure people will still bitch :rolleyes:

#560390 - 06/09/07 07:04 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

How interesting... it's a credit! :rolleyes:

Way to reduce potential losses there Apple. (No sarcasm either)

#560391 - 07/09/07 07:48 AM Re: iPhone
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Actually it happens quite often. If you buy any electronics at say, Best Buy, and the price is lowered within 30 days, you can get the price adjusted. I'm pretty sure this generally ends up going back to the manufacturers in the case of a manufacturer price cut. If you had been able to buy your iPhone at Best Buy, you would have been able to get a $200 refund instead of just a $100 store credit. Apple is really doing less than the competition here.

It's nothing they have to do, but they're hardly going above and beyond when the largest B&M electronics store in the country has a policy that is better.

I know Cingular, er AT&T at least has some sort of guarantee in their contracts that allows you to return a phone within x days (VZW is 30 days, I think it was 14 when I last had Cingular). I'd suggest that iPhone users who are eligible for it, take advantage of it to get the reduced prices. Unless of course that clause is blacked out in the iPhone contracts...

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal