shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#567394 - 21/04/02 04:15 AM Question about settings...
NissanXterraNyc Offline

Loc: Queens, New York
I just got Adobe Premiere 6 and would like to know what are the best or standard settings?

I have quite a few videos I would like to put up but I'm very new to digital editing. One video that I tried to put together turned out to be 650 MB. I don't know how I did that since the video's original size was 418 kb!

It's not rocket science but it sure beats the crap out of me.

#567395 - 21/04/02 05:59 AM Re: Question about settings...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Did you read the manual ? It covers compression quite well.

#567396 - 21/04/02 09:05 AM Re: Question about settings...
RabidRaider Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Run........it's a trap laugh

#567397 - 21/04/02 09:36 AM Re: Question about settings...
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
320x240 at 15 fps is what the uxoc videos settings are. mono on sound. export settings to web for t1 connection (under windows media player) for larger files and dsl connection for smaller ones. it compresses pretty good. i am trying out mpeg4 (divx) so more info on that later.

if anyone has additional questions, feel free to send me an email.

robert

#567398 - 21/04/02 08:27 PM Re: Question about settings...
NissanXterraNyc Offline

I read the manual but got a headache after finding out there's sooo many options. So I was wondering if there was a "trick" setting that is very effective but not very well known to an amateur such as I or published (besides utilizing divx or streaming). I had the sound setting at stereo but everything else was what Fastdrmr wrote and it was still a gazillion megabytes. Does anyone know the settings when you download a 5 minute music video and it's only 35 MB or was that what I'm supposed to get with Fastdrmr's settings. I'll try again.

Thanks everyone!
wink

#567399 - 21/04/02 09:19 PM Re: Question about settings...
fastdrmr Offline

5 min. should be around 10 mb...

send me the file or post it on superjens place and i can check it out in premiere (it will identify all the settings)

pm me if you have problems

robert

#567400 - 21/04/02 10:39 PM Re: Question about settings...
XOC Offline
Admin

A lot depends on the CODEC being used. I have about 20 installed, you could have more or less.

Most CODECs allow an overall bitrate, which you could set to say, 125k per second, which would always give you a 7.5MB per minute video. Then again, it cold be smaller based on key framing, or it could be larger if there is too much delta between frames.

Do not expect to just find a magic number and work with it, it takes a long time and a lot of experimentation to get quality output and a small filesize.

You spent $500 on Premiere, you should learn how to use it correctly. Read the manual again, then a few more times.

#567401 - 22/04/02 08:41 AM Re: Question about settings...
NissanXterraNyc Offline

Oh ok, thanks!

I have to read the manual? But for $550 it should be reading to me. I should be on MTV's Making a Video on the first shot!

I guess I'll play around and take notes.
[Geek]

Thanks for all your help!

#567402 - 22/04/02 09:42 AM Re: Question about settings...
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Trust somebody who went to school for film & video. Compression makes ALL the difference. Try going to Adobe.com They will most likely have a users forum. You can also try searching for resources on Non-linear editing.

#567403 - 22/04/02 10:21 AM Re: Question about settings...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by NissanXterraNyc:
I have to read the manual? But for $550 it should be reading to me.
I guess you're missing the point of high end software. You might want to try Microsoft MovieMaker if you want a point and click solution.

#567404 - 22/04/02 11:56 AM Re: Question about settings...
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
I agree with Ian. Premiere is a professional non-linear editing tool. While not as prolific as Avid, Media 100, or any of Discreet's tools, it's designed for professionals or pro-sumers. Consumer stuff is the software you find in Circuit city. Premiere was designed to work with After Effects which does all the cool FX and CGI stuff. If you want something for home movies, you just wasted $400 on power you'll never use or need.

#567405 - 22/04/02 03:06 PM Re: Question about settings...
NissanXterraNyc Offline

I wouldn't be making just home videos and vidcaps. Unless you are telling me that the standard consumer products can edit more than one video track, handle graphics and many audio remix tracks on one workspace with effects. I mean I did get the right thing, right? The way I see it it's like Paintshop Pro versus Photoshop. I rather pay more "to be able to" than "to not be able to." Kind of like a 4X2 versus a 4X4.

I guess I'll check out the user forums and play a little more. Arghhh... so many .ppj files! Thanks!
wink

#567406 - 22/04/02 04:02 PM Re: Question about settings...
fastdrmr Offline

You bought the right program! Just make sure to test out all the options and enjoy its abilities. Pump out an Xterra video! Let's see your stuff! You can do almost anything in Premiere, time to get busy.

FYI - for each minute of final cut video you may spend around 1 hour in capturing, sorting, editting, and compressing. Its a blast, make sure its fun.

I bought an Adobe bundle package, then bought Premiere... spent some good $$$ but no regrets. Great buy! smile

Now get busy.....

Robert

#567407 - 22/04/02 09:19 PM Re: Question about settings...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
I agree with Ian. Premiere is a professional non-linear editing tool. While not as prolific as Avid, Media 100, or any of Discreet's tools, it's designed for professionals or pro-sumers.
Oy! I wouldn't compare Premiere to any of those programs. $500 for Premiere whereas Discreet can easily set you back $100,000 or more for Smoke. Comparing Premiere to those is like comparing the Canon XL1 to the Panasonic DVCPro 400. Not even in the same league.

Interesting tidbit about Premiere 6.0 by the way - you can no longer adjust brightness and contrast with it. You have to have After Effects (which I think is complete bullshit - that's such a basic thing).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal