shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#568782 - 12/11/01 11:18 PM Sigh ... newbie blues
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
So I decided to meet with some other, non Xterra 4x4 group this weekend to hopefully get the scoop on more interesting trails up near Vancouver, BC. It's too bad I still suck as an offroader, I think I gave us a bad name, sorry guys! One of them was nice enough to get me on video on a little rock garden I previously backed away from. I finally made it up without damage (my #1 priority), but I sure didn't make it look easy.

The trail wasn't extremely steep, but it was very wet, tires are stock and over pressured (23 lbs), and like I said I'm still learning. Anyways, without further ado here's my weekend follies entitled "Xterra Woes"

Xterra Woes

#568783 - 13/11/01 12:00 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Don't feel too bad, 75% of that was lousy tire with no traction.

25% was lack of finesse and momentum though, which is something I see a lot of with newer drivers.

Watch the video, and notice how often you just about got over something, and backed out of the throttle. The key is feeling exactly where each tire is in relation to obstacles, and just having enough power to get over them, then let out of the throttle slightly to avoid carrying too much speed to the next obstacle.

You should never have to rev the engine that high to start moving. If you have to, you're too far onto the obstacle, and you'll just spin. Back up a bit, let the clutch out at a low rpm, then use that bit of momentum to clear it.

You should be able to drive that whole section without ever touching the clutch. Get some new shoes for the X before you try that section again, and visualize how momentum can help carry the vehicle over each bump. Look at the trail on foot, and visualize the wheelbase of the Xterra, and you'll see where you will need to apply throttle, and where not to.

#568784 - 13/11/01 07:08 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
The thing that I really noticed is that you were reving the throttle really high before letting out the clutch. Why?

I admit, those tires are about as useful as slicks on that wet rock, but a more judicious application of throttle was warranted (otherwise you are looking to smoke your clutch).

Practice makes perfect, though, and

#568785 - 13/11/01 08:12 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
superjens Offline

Thanks for the advice Ian, you're absolutely right about the momentum. I had the same problem on our PNWX outing a few weeks back at one obstacle. Just as I was getting to the peak (which involved a high root, slick mud, rocks and trees everywhere), I let up on the go pedal.

One thing that happened this time though was that the clutch completely let go. At least, this is what I think happened due to the heavy, nasty unmistakable smell. On my first attempt I had the clutch all the way out, so the engine revved high, and the truck rolled back. Unnerving, to say the lesat. Anyways, new tires are the first thing on my list, but I'll be waiting for spring to buy them so no more rock gardens for me this year.

#568786 - 13/11/01 08:56 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Excellent video, and a good balance between file size and compression.
As for the content, I agree, better tires and some practice. Better yet, an automatic, would have been a cakewalk smile

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#568787 - 13/11/01 09:32 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
kook Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That was awesome...where can I see more stuff like that!?
Kook! smile

#568788 - 13/11/01 09:48 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by kook:
That was awesome...where can I see more stuff like that!?
Kook! smile

Come with NCCX on our next outing!!! laugh

#568789 - 13/11/01 09:54 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Got to love automatics. You can just let it crawl through most rock-gardens. And no stalling on hills. Anybody can stall a manual. It takes a REAL driver to stall an automatic wink

#568790 - 13/11/01 10:26 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
That was a sweet vid.

Right on.
smile

#568791 - 13/11/01 12:01 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
superjens Offline

No, that wasn't a sweet vid, that was an embarrasing vid! Here's a sweet vid, PNWX's very own Andy taking on Funny Rocks in Washington State. Very inspiring to watch these guys in person. By the way, mudphud (Joe) did this in his stock automatic, stock General Grabbers, and sway bar still attached. Bastard!!

Andy doing Funny Rocks

This works best when you right click, select Save-As and watch it from your hard drive.

#568792 - 13/11/01 03:41 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
You made it through the obstacles. So what if you had a few little problems. I am not the most experienced offroader but I know from the little experience I have had that you get better everytime you go out.

#568793 - 13/11/01 05:49 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
soops Offline

Loc: Phoenix, az
thanks for sharing the video. dare i not say a 2wd can make it through those trails? wink maybe if it wasn't wet.

#568794 - 13/11/01 06:48 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Stone4x4 Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ
<>

Yep, and fun wasn't it? Heart was racing. A little sweating. Gotta love getting out.

Marshall

#568795 - 13/11/01 07:02 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Don't feel bad for trying what so many would talk about but never do. I would agree that an automatic makes things a whole lot easier for new off-roaders as it is one less thing to worry about, when you have soo many other things to be considering.

The rock crawling on trails in AZ would be difficult for me to do in a manual. I like having the ability to break with one foot while controlling the throttle with the other.

Ian gave you some very good advice, go back out and try it again. You will notice large gains in your abilities each time you go out.

Have fun, and play safe. laugh

#568796 - 14/11/01 05:15 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
tommystyle Offline

Loc: Vanouver, BC, Canada
HEY bud
looks like fun to me - no matter how many times you have to try!
hey email me the next time you guys are going out in the lower mainland - I like the idea of four wheelin' with a bunch a people who like the idea of returning home without damage!
Tommy

#568797 - 14/11/01 06:03 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Peanut Butter Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by tommystyle:
I like the idea of four wheelin' with a bunch a people who like the idea of returning home without damage!
Tommy

Yes but liking to return without damage and actually returning without damage are two different things wink

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: scott.com ]

#568798 - 14/11/01 08:38 PM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
superjens Offline

Hehe, Scott's first outing with PNWX resulted in his not-often-used nickname, Busted Bumper Boy smile

Well, if you guys are up to no good this Saturday, why don't we get together for some Lower Mainland wheeling? I know lots of places we can go nearby. Scott, time to break in those new tires you got eh?

#568799 - 17/11/01 12:05 AM Re: Sigh ... newbie blues
Cobra427 Offline

Pretty good for a newbie...but I'd have to agree momentum is everything. Once you get going don't stop unless you are going to hit something or someone.

I learned this the hard way when I was a kid. We tend to get alot of snow here in the winter. Try driving a FWD midsized car in a foot and a half of snow , you quickly learn to use momentum or you will be using a shovel.... wink

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal