shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56919 - 04/01/06 05:18 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
In answer to the bolt question...

Yes, The shock has an optional hole located further along the frame horn...and you just slide a bolt through it to get an extra mount point. The frame itself doesn't have another hole anywhere though, so you just use the bumper mount holes as a guide, and drill through the frame, and THEN slide the bolt through.

I like to use Grade 8 hardware for all of that....and locktite for the threads....but I didn't, because it was getting dark, and I wanted to play with the winch, as I had other X's over, etc.

laugh

Mine's been fine w/o it. I did torque the bolts, and they've never slipped, despite my, um, unique style in the rocks.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#56920 - 04/01/06 07:15 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thing about proper tourque...When the bolts are tightened properly, the friction between the bumper & frame horns will take a lot of the forces. To loose and the shear resistance of the bolts have to take all the load. To tight and you can fail the bolt by having stressed the bolt paste its yeild strength. By doing this the bolt will strain and "loosen". When you retourque the bolt, you strain it even further. Eventually it will snap.

So if you continually find yourself retourquing these, it may be time to replace the hardware.

#56921 - 04/01/06 09:03 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Good point Eric.

laugh

That's why I torque with a torque wrench...not too tight. not too loose....just right.

aaaahhhhh

I checked mine a few times...and for two years now, still tight, and no slippage.

laugh

I'll probably screw that up...I got some nice plate for some more armor I'm doing for the new OBA set-up...and plan to do some extra frame braces with it if I can keep it looking stock under there for the NJ inspection Nazi's...

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#56922 - 05/01/06 10:07 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

did you guys ever hear of someone getting a Shrockworks bumper but welding the ARB tubing on top. I really like the tubing on the ARB but like the Shrockwork bumper because i find it to be the best all around.

Also, does anyone have the Calmini bumper? How come it doesnt come the D-ring hooks in the front?

#56923 - 06/01/06 06:31 AM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
did you guys ever hear of someone getting a Shrockworks bumper but welding the ARB tubing on top. I really like the tubing on the ARB but like the Shrockwork bumper because i find it to be the best all around.

Also, does anyone have the Calmini bumper? How come it doesnt come the D-ring hooks in the front?
Lots of people have the Calmini Bumper. It seems to be bulletproof. It is HEAVY, tho. Like I've said in the past, it's my favorite for the open winch mount.

Kevin has the ARB. He has hit deer, pedestrians, buildings, buffalo and other vehicles. So far it is holding up ok.

#56924 - 06/01/06 10:17 AM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it good to pull another truck from the D-ring attachment on the ARB/Shrockwork bumper? From the previous post, people were saying that it might bend the bumper.
Does anyone have pics of how the ARB bumper is bolted on the X? Thanks!

#56925 - 06/01/06 02:18 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would always try to pull from the frame... it is the strongest spot and it is what you really want to attach to.

For just pulling/winching it should not be a problem at all but snatching NOPE!! Get that strap on the frame. When snatching you are putting some extreme loads on any point you attach to far more than if you had just winched. And it all happens so fast.

Oh and Jeff I never hit a building..... it was the side of a mountain!!!!! So there!!! [Finger]

#56926 - 06/01/06 06:52 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just one last question concerning the Calmini bumper, do you guys know how much it weighs? thanks for all the info been very helpfull!

#56927 - 07/01/06 05:49 PM Re: Shrockbumper broke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
Just one last question concerning the Calmini bumper, do you guys know how much it weighs? thanks for all the info been very helpfull!
I belive it weighs about 115#. With skid plate and crating, shipping weight is 250# (they always overestimate, to be safe).

I have no idea what it will cost to ship to Canada, but the Calmini is generally the most expensive to ship.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal