shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570062 - 02/04/01 03:16 PM Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Well I am very sad to say that on Sunday during the AZXC X'cursion to Crown King, I had to get my 2WD towed for the first time. I had 2 choices I could fall off a cliff or get pulled out, I of course chose the getting pulled out. I obstacle was the hardest one we have over been on, I actually got over the hard part and got stuck in between that rock and next rock. When I got stuck it spun my rear tires on the rock and pushed my X left to the side of the cliff. So I had no choice, It was just barely on the edge of the teail. I got towed over the next rock ok. A lot of people in my club could not beleive that is the only place I stuck and that I made it all the way through the trail. So all in all it was a good trip.

------------------

#570063 - 02/04/01 06:53 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Shortbus Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL, USA
Sweet! Sounds like you are really putting the 2WD to the test. Glad to hear you didn't go over the cliff, that would have pretty much ruined your day. I've only managed to get off-road twice and once was just a really muddy dirt parking lot at UCF .

------------------
-Shortbus-

'00 XE 4x2
Solar Yell:)w

"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people are just trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

"Since the internet has no walls or fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

#570064 - 02/04/01 09:46 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Sounds like you were stuck between a rock and a hard place! Glad you chose the rocks rather than the cliff... cliffs can hurt. Sounds like you had fun, and that's what counts. Keep havin fun!

------------------
'00 4x4 V6 XE
Yella 3pack

#570065 - 03/04/01 10:06 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Ya it was pretty extreme, everyone in AZXC cannot believe what I do with my 2WD, NO FEAR. I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it over the next one.

------------------

#570066 - 03/04/01 10:09 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
some of my "finer moments":

the trail ahead got so bad that i had to be towed up this hill and off the trail
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=4085179&p=20254273&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

while getting back down off that hill i got literaly stuck between a rock and a hard place, and had to be winched sideways to get out
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=4085179&p=20484336&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=4085179&p=20484175&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

at the top of the hill you see Ned who is preparing to winch me up
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=6895371&p=23715831&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

these last two, i had to be pulled backwards off this rock(long story dont ask)
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=12037200&p=43552602&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=12037200&p=43552601&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

------------------
Undisputed Mercedes Killing Champion Of The Board
(Damn Those Trailer Hitches are handy)

--Imici Username:Todrick
--AOLIM Username:Todrick451

#570067 - 03/04/01 10:27 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
XLincolnNE Offline

Loc: Lincoln
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
Ya it was pretty extreme, everyone in AZXC cannot believe what I do with my 2WD, NO FEAR. I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it over the next one.

LOL My brother and his wife went to visit my mother and decided to take her 4X2 out 4-wheeling. They called me to say the good news was that they got through the trail without getting stopped, the bad news was that my mother now needed 3 new tires!

------------------

#570068 - 03/04/01 10:49 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

I dropped my rear stock tires to 18 psi and front to 24 psi I didn't have any problems with flat or pitched tires. Our fearless leader XterrAZ had one flat and pitched the sidewall on another tire real bad. And Shanna also had a flat. Thats what I like to see Todrick, I can't wait to come to So. Cali and do a X'cursion with you.

------------------
"I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it to the next one."

#570069 - 03/04/01 11:13 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Todrick Offline

I'm not normaly "careless" but i do tend to be the "Guinee pig" 4x2 and when the going gets tough im usually the first to get it...

the trail that i got stuck sideways:
rated "most difficult"
named "diablo dropoff"
we went up it the wrong way
I was the only 4x2 in the group

------------------
Undisputed Mercedes Killing Champion Of The Board
(Damn Those Trailer Hitches are handy)

--Imici Username:Todrick
--AOLIM Username:Todrick451

#570070 - 03/04/01 01:20 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

So far there are two 2WD in our group, I was the only one to go on this trip. I am perfectly happy with what my 2WD can do. But I am going to get a 2002 with 4WD when it comes out. I just don't like holding my club up.

------------------
"I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it to the next one."

#570071 - 03/04/01 02:42 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Kuuipo Offline

Loc: Benicia, CA & Scottsdale, AZ U...
I happen to think that being one of the only 4X2s in the AZ Xterra Club is a good thing. Besides that whole 'cliff' thing we did pretty damn good!

------------------

#570072 - 03/04/01 02:45 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
hey Jackel8821...you gots some pics of this trip right? kinda hard to visualize the obstacle. plus i always like seeing people doing cool stuff on trails.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#570073 - 03/04/01 02:47 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Yea, we should be putting them on our web site shortly and under the pics column I'll make sure I updated.

------------------

#570074 - 04/04/01 08:49 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Here is one pic of me going up a hill this was the easiest one.

http://www.azxterraclub.com/crkng05.jpg

------------------

#570075 - 06/04/01 07:22 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
mechbee Offline

Loc: Chula Vista, CA .,U.S.
Todrick in regards to being the guinea pig 4X2, i'm aboutto join you guys on the Xcursion to Anza and I am a real newbee at this so I will get stuck a lot I'm sure and tested as well!

------------------

#570076 - 07/04/01 10:00 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Mechbee,

Keep in mind that selecting the correct line, using the proper technique, and learning from/watching others goes along way in preventing stuck situations. One of the great thing about the group dynamic is there are always plenty of folks around to help out/give advice.

We have other 4x2's in the group that have yet to get stuck, so don't assume you will get stuck a lot. The last few beginner runs with newbes, nobody got stuck with the exception of one returning member who always seems to find trouble. The more trail Xperience you get the more comfortable you will become I hope and I'm always amazed at the progress some make just in one day IE…tentative in the AM…. going full force after lunch.

When riding with 4x2's myself and maybe a few other Xperienced members normally drive in 2WD. When we approach obstacles and/or terrain that might give 4x2's troubles we attemp them first and give the appropriate advice/spotting on how to make it if possible. This strategy works pretty well most of the time, however some situations are tougher than others and getting stuck/unstuck in part of fun/process. If your going to push your abilities/X to the limits sooner or later you will get stuck, the key is to learn from the Xperience and have a blast doing so.

For 4x2's owners that are serious about off-roading the most important upgrade is real all or mud terrain tires IMO.

[This message has been edited by Xtoolbox (edited 04-07-2001).]

#570077 - 10/04/01 08:20 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Todrick Offline

Sorry i did not see the additional posts to this thread until now.

Good luck in Anza, as stated i wont be attending(i will be busy scouting the location for the Calico Ghost Town trip)

Anza is an amazing place there is truly something for everybody... just heed the advice of the more experienced and you should do fine...

dont think because i like to "go off" a bit and have been in some "interesting" situations that that means i represent the case for all 4x2's...

I have never owned a 4x4 and before owning my Xterra i had only ever been stuck once in my life (funny enough it was in deep sand at Calico Ghost Town) simply fixed with a shovel and a piece of wood.

just be smart... if you have a 4x2 realize you have a 4x2... with the group around you can aford to be a little more "wreckless" as there is always a 4x4 handy to help you out...

bare in mind that I do not suggest anyone do the things i have done, unless they understand what they are getting into... i'd hate to have someone damage their truck because they didn't think before they acted and then say "but you said i could do it"

Toolbox is right, sometimes getting stuck/unstuck is part of the fun/process

you live and learn

------------------
"Homer no do, beer well without"
-Homer Simpson(Spoken While Sober)

#570078 - 11/04/01 08:44 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Yep pretty aware of all that, I think we are in the same boat,I have already replaced my crossmember and now it is bent again, my front skid plate is banged up, and I have tons of AZ pinstriping. But I always make sure that I will be safe and everyone around me.

------------------

#570079 - 11/04/01 12:03 PM Re: Towing the 2WD
Todrick Offline

Like the sig...

seems like something that i should have

------------------
"Homer no do, beer well without"
-Homer Simpson(Spoken While Sober)

#570080 - 19/04/01 11:09 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
98Hotel Offline

Loc: Rockledge, Florida, US
At a minimum, you did get towed by another fellow Xterra. The picture is cool.

Stay Motivated!

------------------
2001 ALPINE GREEN
4X2 SE AUTOMATIC V6

#570081 - 20/04/01 09:00 AM Re: Towing the 2WD
Jackel Offline

Yep no matter what us X's must stick together.

------------------
www.azxterraclub.com

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal