2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570105 - 10/04/05 07:10 PM 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had my first off road experience today in my totally stock 2WD. Took it out to the 'White Tank' range with a bunch of folks from AZXC, the majority of which also put their trucks in 2WD for the day in my honor. Had a little trouble in 1 spot by taking a bad line up an incline, which would otherwise have been passable in 2WD. Ended up being towed out of that one. Plus a hill no 2WD was ever gonna make it up, thank you to DBax for the tow on both occasions. Other than that, it shocked the hell out of me how capable the truck is in 2WD. Some quite nasty inclines, only 2 of which I needed the help of a strap with. A couple of photos of the other 4x4 guys at: http://www.rinky.us/coppermine/

#570106 - 10/04/05 07:31 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] sweet, my X is a 4x4 but the other day i was driving in some acess roads and kept it in 2wd 99% of the time, there were some good ruts and mud and some good hill climbs, my buddies were really impressed, when they saw only the back tires spit dirt they were like, whoa this things still only in 2wd!? awesome! got stuck in a rut cuz i didnt have enought speed so i used 4 to get it out but just keep momentum up and youll be suprised at how capable it is in 2wd

#570107 - 10/04/05 07:49 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yupp. Momentum is deffinately the key, expecially up some of the hills we took. Which was the problem really on the hill that it wasn't possible to take, because there was no way to get a good start on it. The other time I got stuck I just took a bad line and rolled back, but the exhaust wouldn't allow me to take another try at it as it got hooked up on the downslope. So the only way was forward with a strap and some help from a 4x4.

#570108 - 10/04/05 09:26 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've taken my 2WD X down some pretty muddy farm roads and mud patches with no trouble.....but I managed to get stuck Friday.

Went to a party and they were making SUVs/Trucks park in this muddy pasture on an incline and it rained and the X wouldn't back up the incline, so I put it in first and drove down the hill but it wouldnt go back up and I ended up nearly sliding into some woods. Luckily, a guy that goes mudding all the time got it out for me. Its amazing how easy he made it look. Put it into reverse and threw it into first. My Xterra climbed that hill like it was nothing and put me to shame.

#570109 - 11/04/05 08:45 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just found out that I have the LSD. Which might explain why it was a little more capable than a non-LSD equiped vehicle.

Can't say I'm overly displeased with that finding! smile

Now I've got plans for the Shackles / T-Bar crank to make it a little more capable.

#570110 - 11/04/05 09:12 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Though I'm glad that circumstances allowed me to get a 4x4, I used to have immeasurable fun in my 4x2. A good set of tires and a good head for the best line to take goes a long way.

After having my 4x4 for a while now, I do now see where the dividing line is. There are times when momentum is not your friend, but 4LO is.

Other than that, keep having fun. Looks like being out in AZ means more opportunity to have some fun in 2HI.

[Wave]

#570111 - 29/04/05 08:55 AM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, i got my xterra used, well my parents got it, and they didn't really check for it being 4wd or 2wd, and they got one that was 2wd, its fine for on-road, except when it snows, i'm not an offroader, mainly because i didn't think it would be good in it, and if i were to get stuck, none of my friends have SUV's. I regret it being 2wd at times, especially in the winter, there is absolutely nowhere i can go with this in the snow, its horrible. I was wondering if you guys recommend me trading it in for a 4wd one, or tips on making it good in the snow as is.

#570112 - 29/04/05 10:12 AM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now I've had a small taste of the 4x4 life. My next vehicle purchase, which will most likely be another X will certainly be driving all 4 wheels. Considered just keeping my 2WD tho because it's in pretty good shape, then getting an old Scout, Jeep or Cruiser as a toy for Offroading.

#570113 - 04/05/05 04:39 AM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

I highly recomend trading it in when you can for a 4wd. You will love the hell out of it.

#570114 - 08/05/05 09:53 AM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
OnlyOneDR Offline

Put a locker in it and you will be shocked at just how much farther you can go with it. Since I put in the Detroit in mine I can do things in 2wd that used to give me fits in 4wd (extreme cross ups). Can't wait to do something with the front axle now.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#570115 - 08/05/05 03:07 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2wd and was wondering if I could lock them up? Also how much will that run me?

#570116 - 26/05/05 01:37 PM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

awsome, but i wish i had a 4 wheel drive.

#570117 - 11/06/05 07:45 AM Re: 2WD Very Capable on Dry Dirt/Rock
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good day all,
Spent half of last winter (first one with my X) in 2WD when it transpired that a plastic bushing in my RF hub was n/s. This, unknown to me at first, resulted in a 2WD situation. I've been used to 2WD RWD vehicles a lot of my life, and this X was amazing. I thought I had 4WD a lot of the time, because I would intentionally drive into big snow piles and drifts to see if 4WD would get me out. The X never once got stuck, despite my best efforts to do so.
Then, imagine my amazement when 4 WD was repaired, under warranty, in late Jan and I took the X back out to the same spots....WHAT a difference! Even so, it is a GREAT vehicle and I am very happy with it. Happy trails to all. PK

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal