shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570134 - 20/12/00 03:26 AM 2WD IN SNOW
jojo Offline

I purchased the Xterra 2WD and it does a lot of sliding in the snow, has anyine else had this problem? If so what have you done to correct it? Thanks In Advance

#570135 - 20/12/00 05:57 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Vince Offline

Loc: Denver (Cherry Creek), Colorad...
I hope you didnt buy a 2 wheel drive X where it snows a lot. The car isnt much better in the snow than a Mustang GT in two wheel drive. Try adding some weight in the cargo hold or putting on some light chains or studded tires.

In Colorado, the 2 wheel drive X would be an abortion. I dont think you can even buy em that way out here. There would be no point.

#570136 - 20/12/00 07:09 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
Even though I have the 4wd, here there isn't a real need for it. I have added 80lbs bag of salt in the back. But without changing your tires or driving style, there isn't much I have found that helps, besides switching it to 4wd if it's too bad or when I get tried of playing in the snow.

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages

#570137 - 20/12/00 07:09 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
jojo Offline

Vince thanks for the info...I'm a little disappointed w/my 2wd X in the snow, I live in VA where it doesn't snow a lot.

My 2wd seems to struggle with a little bit of snow, this is my first truck and I probably should have went 4x4. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks

#570138 - 20/12/00 08:38 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by jojo:
Vince thanks for the info...I'm a little disappointed w/my 2wd X in the snow, I live in VA where it doesn't snow a lot.

My 2wd seems to struggle with a little bit of snow, this is my first truck and I probably should have went 4x4. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks

If you don't have the limited slip differential in your 2wd you're screwed. The rear end is going to be really sloppy.

You're better off carpooling with someone with a honda.

Good that you're posting though. People need this info when they think that they are saving $$$ going with the 2wd.

#570139 - 20/12/00 11:01 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
I have to laugh at myself a bit w/regard to snow. I have the 4WD and don't regret it, but many years ago (1975-1979) as a student in the Buffalo NY area I, like most other folks up there, got along fine most of the time in 2WD. No front wheel drive or radial tires in those ancient times either. The "secrets": a)TAKE IT EASY, both starting and stopping. b.(very strongly recommended for 2wd)dedicated snow tires, maybe studs if legal. Snow depth was mostly no problem. The biggest hazards were ice, poor or no visibility, and maniacal drivers; none of which are helped much by 4WD. Adding weight can help some, but can be offset by the addtional momentum your truck gains if the rear does start to break away--80-100 lb should be OK. Driving my X the last few days in snow for the first time, I haven't noticed any unusual instability in the snow when in 2WD given the stock tires.

#570140 - 20/12/00 11:23 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I often drive in 2wd in the snow, and the X does tend to slide.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but try to avoid sudden changes of speed or direction. Slow down before you need to turn, and do not accelerate when turning.

If you can, take the vehicle somewhere safe to play in the snow so you can get a feel for how it behaves.

#570141 - 20/12/00 05:27 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Well, I have 4WD but have yet to use it in snow. Don't get me wrong I've driven in snow twice and ice once. I never bothered to put it in 4WD. I felt no need to even on unplowed roads. As long as you take it easy you'll generally be OK. Myself, I'm actually quite happy with how my X has performed in these conditions. But then the rear end does have the limited slip so that may have something to do with it.

I do however strongly agree with lemsip, find an snowy empty parking lot or something and play around. See what it'll do, how it'll react to various things, etc. It's a habit I got into several years ago. You might be surprised about how much this can teach you. Besides it can also be minda fun. I pretty much do this every year actually partly b/c it's fun but also to refresh myself.

later

Rob

------------------
2000 Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#570142 - 21/12/00 07:21 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Jake Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC. USA
I have a 2WD here in NC, granted it doesn't snow much although we had a few snow storms last year. I agree with Schludwiller, "if you don't have the limited slip differential(LSD) in your 2wd you're screwed. The rear end is going to be really sloppy". I have the LSD on mine & it was a big help in the snow last season .

#570143 - 21/12/00 08:10 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
"Don't get me wrong I've driven in snow twice and ice once. I never bothered to put it in 4WD. I felt no need to even on unplowed roads"

--------------------------------------

I hear comments like this, but never understand why. If you have 4wd, and you're driving on snow or ice, why not put it in 4wd? I know you can "get away" with it if you take it easy, but why not take advantage of the extra capabilities of your truck. If someone locks up their car and starts sliding at you, being in 4wd and being able to accelerate out of the way is going to save you and your truck.

In my old 4x4 subaru I was coming back from skiing with one car ahead of me. On a banked turn he slid into the right side snow wall. I geared down to stop before him, but glancing in the rear view mirror saw all the traffic that had been tailgating was locking their wheels up and starting to slide.

I started to move to the left of the damaged vehicle, but he started sliding on the banked turn, and was coming right at me.

Well I was in 4wd, had studded snow tires on, and gave it some gas and accelerated between the left snow wall and his bumper free and clear.

Everyone else was not so lucky.

I guess my point is you can often get by with less, but why? I had good tires, we were driving downhill, the subaru has front wheel drive when 4wd is not engaged, so I could have made it if nothing had gone wrong.

But something did, and having it in 4wd, gave me additional steering and traction control that saved my butt when I needed it.

Guess this post has gone on a bit. If you have it, use it please. You might be able to save yourself and someone else from damage out there this winter.

#570144 - 21/12/00 09:15 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Al_in_NY Offline

Loc: western NY
I agree with Schludwiller. If you have it use it. I hear comments from many of my co-workers along the lines of "why spend the money on a 4x4, how often do we get snow deep enough to need it?". They seem to have the misconception that 4x4 is only used in snow deep enough to get cars stuck. I always explain that I use 4x4 a lot, anytime the roads get slippery, and that's not necessarily when the snow is deep. After I explain it they seem to change their opinion. Unfortunately that's often the people who already own a 4x2 and put a lot of weight in the back. In my opinion adding weight in a 4x2 just gets you back to being about as good as a rear wheel drive car. The only advantage of the 4x2 truck is extra ground clearance which reduces getting "hung up" on deep snow.

Al

#570145 - 21/12/00 10:08 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
Well I'm of the opinion that the 4x2 platform can be an unexcelled training aid for learning how to drive in the fluffy stuff. Sure beats getting 4x4 and thinking it makes you invincible. Irregardless of what you choose to drive, learning how to drive is the most important of tools you can utilize.

#570146 - 21/12/00 12:44 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
You can learn just as well w/ a 4x4, just don't shift into 4x4...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#570147 - 21/12/00 09:06 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Vestnik Offline

Loc: Laurel, MD USA
Hi. I have the 4x2 SE w/LSD, and it's ok so far. In this area they salt/gravel the HELL out of everything, usu. before the snow hits, too. You could take a motorcycle out..

#570148 - 03/01/01 05:48 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
NCXTERRA Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC 27609
I just purchased a 2-wheel drive with LSD. We receive little snow in NC, but a few times a year we have considerable accumulation. I wonder how my 4x2 with LSD will compare to a 4x4 or a 4x2 without LSD? Do I need to add weight in the back for bad weather? Will I regret buying the 4x2 with LSD?

#570149 - 03/01/01 06:41 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
NCXTERRA,

You should do okay in the snow with 2WD and LSD. A 2WD Xterra acts similarly to any rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow. I would recommend throwing a few hundred pounds in the back to help keep the rear from breaking loose.

You'll regret not getting a 4x4 the first time you get stuck ;-) Seriously though, you should be fine if you don't plan on leaving the pavement. If you want to do any off-roading, you will wish you bought a 4x4.

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra <---Newly updated

#570150 - 03/01/01 07:56 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Oh well, I tried to quote another post but all it was quoting was they quoted from me. Go figure.

"I hear comments like this, but never understand why. If you have 4wd, and you're driving on snow or ice, why not put it in 4wd? I know you can "get away" with it if you take it easy, but why not take advantage of the extra capabilities of your truck."

Acouple of you have made good points regarding the use of 4WD. My reason for using it only when I feel it necessary is simply that I don't want to become dependant on it when the weather is bad. I've always driven 2WD vehicles and know how to drive them in snow and how to get out of a bind with them. So I guess it's just that I'm used to doing it that way.

Besides I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not always in my own vehicle in bad weather (e.g. go out w/ friends in their car, they drink, I have to drive). And I have known people who almost had to relearn how to handle a 2WD car after owning 4WD's and always using them.

Basically it just boils down to being what works best for me. Hopefully that makes some sense.

later

Rob

------------------
2000 Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#570151 - 12/01/01 11:45 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
MerchantOfVeniceBeach Offline

Loc: Hollywood CA
Since I live in Southern California, where it doesn't snow a whole lot, I settled for a 4x2- saved a lot of $$$, etc. But I used to live in Utah where it snows a lot, and I always had rear wheel drive vehicles- a small 4x2 Nissan Pickup and an old Mercedes 240D sedan.

They never plowed the roads in the town I lived in, so I just learned how to drive in the snow with what I had. I always made sure I had a heavy load of either sandbags or film equipment in the trunk or pickup bed, and I never had any problems. I only got stuck once. Anyway, you just take it slow and point your car in the approximate direction you want to go.

On another note, the 1980 diesel Mercedes sedan was one of the best off-road vehicles I ever owned. They are built like Panzer tanks. On many occasions our filming location was in a remote wilderness location, and while most of the crew left their cars and SUV's down at the designated distant parking lot and took the "Shuttle Suburbans" up to the set, I drove the old Mercedes right up the hill with all my gear in the trunk. Okay, I know it didn't have the ground clearance of an Xterra, but...

#570152 - 28/01/01 02:21 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
MyXGA Offline

Loc: Findlay, Ohio USA
I got the XE 4x2 (Wish I got the 4x4 for trailing $$$$)and drove this past Dec in Ohio. There was not a lot of snow but enough to play. I have the LSD in my X and it did help a lot. You could get it to play but then when it was time to get serious it walked upright fairly well. I am a snow junky and grew up in it along with my 85 Z-28 back in my teenage years.

------------------
2000 XE 4x2 Silver Ice
Flowmaster Street 50 series with dynoflow
XOC Sticker Ó¿Ò vvrrrmmmm
Plus personal X'tras

#570153 - 28/01/01 04:44 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
xterraroy Offline

Loc: queens ny usa
2 weeks ago i had my x in about 10 inchs of snow. and without 4x4 in a xterra. in deep snow you will get stuck. the xterra with the wide tires and no 4x4 they are one of the worst vehicles for the snow. when ever i put my x in 2 wd i could not even pull out of a parking spot. but in 4x4 the x is a tank.

------------------

#570154 - 01/02/01 03:38 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
BlackKnightX Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have had my 4x2 X for almost 2 years now and have not had severe problems with snow. I think it depends on the driver. I live in St. Louis and we only get snow a few times a year but I usually buy about 10 bags of cat litter (which I end up using anyway) and stack them in the back. This helps with the sliding and traction in the snow.

I also recommend starting in second gear at stops, this will keep your tires from spinning excessively. If you have an automatic you can shift into drive 2 and manually shift.

I know that 4x4 is alot better but you can make it by with a 4x2 if you drive properly.

Hope this helps.

00 XE V-6 4x2

------------------

#570155 - 02/02/01 06:50 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
NCXTERRA Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC 27609
Does your X have a LSD?

------------------
Patrick

#570156 - 07/02/01 02:02 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
gen-xterra Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I bought a 2wd, 5 speed, xterra w/ LSD (it helps.. A LOT) about a month ago. Here in the northeast, about 2 days ago we just got hammered with 6 inches of some really nasty wet snow. This is the kind of stuff that sticks to phone and powerlines, and the second that you drive over it, it becomes like ice. Really nasty stuff. It took some of my co-workers 5 hours to get home. I was actually dreading the drive, until i realized that if i took it slow, i wouldn't have a problem and for the most part i didn't. In all honestly there was a place where i encountered a little trouble going up an incline and one turn did pose some handling problems, but i never got stuck. In the future i'll really consider paying the extra cash for a 4x4, but for now I'm pretty happy with the way the truck handled that nasty commute home.

------------------

#570157 - 07/02/01 03:18 PM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Anonymous
Unregistered

here in KC we have ice- The X did wonderful in it, (as long as you don't drive like an idiot)

------------------
Do you smellalallalalala what Xrock is cookin?

#570158 - 09/02/01 11:03 AM Re: 2WD IN SNOW
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by NCXTERRA:
I wonder how my 4x2 with LSD will compare to a 4x4 or a 4x2 without LSD? Do I need to add weight in the back for bad weather? Will I regret buying the 4x2 with LSD?

i had mine in snow 2 weeks ago(XE 4x2 V6 LSD)...
i pulled off the plowed road to let my son play in the snow, and parked in 6"-12" of snow on dirt/pavement. I had no additional weight in the back. when it was time to go and we walked back to the X. the jeep grand cherokee and mercedes that were parked on either side of me were stuck spinning tires... i calmly(on the outside only i assure you) pulled my p-brake back a click or two(someone told me this helps the LSD, i dont know for sure) and eased on the gas...

and slid calmy back out and onto the road leaving the other drivers to stuff towels /clothes under their tires

just be smart and think about the situation you are getting into. dont go driving across a snow covered road at 40+_mph slow down take it easy and you'll be fine

------------------
Undisputed Mercedes Killing Champion Of The Board
(Damn Those Trailer Hitches are handy)

[This message has been edited by Todrick (edited 02-09-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal