2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570192 - 31/03/03 01:35 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Mike Velazquez Offline

Loc: Whittier Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by DNAGRL:
I'll just go on trails I can handle for now. Looking forward to Northern CA group's next expedition (and my first)
Have FUN!!!!! laugh [Wave]

#570193 - 30/05/03 09:50 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
DNAgirl,
NCCX is going to Hollister this weekend. Feel free to join us.

#570194 - 12/06/03 10:20 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Getty-up-go:
Expense is totally involved in a 4x4; parts wear thin with age, extra physical maintence, etc. Already have two, don't need a third.

Gotta admit, love the 4x4 option in the 99 3/4 ton chevy - only have that because of the size of camper it carries. Never had to use it, yet - but it doesn't go where the 4x2 Rodeo goes.

Not all "off-roading" is classified as boulders/rocks - there's much more too see, do and experience besides trying to add a dent or major expense to the wallet. And I am from Colorado - 2 SUV's, both go the same places - but, only 1 is a 4x4. smile [Wave] [Too much XOC]
Good Point Getty-up-go...I use my X to carry my sports stuff and Bikes and get me where I want to go, on pavement or off-road and my 4x2 X, does just that with no problem...I'll leave the extreme off-road "boulder/rock climbing, add a dent to your X" to those who like that sort of fun and could afford it...I am still paying for it, don't need no extra expense to the wallet.... smile

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#570195 - 13/06/03 12:31 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Shockinxterra Offline

Loc: PhaRR, Tx
Hey ya'll. Just like most of you, I wanted a 4x4 as well. But since I'm not the one making the payments, I was left with little choice. Since I'm only 18, a brand new 4x4 with full coverage(a must have for any new car)my parents would have spent an arm and a leg for insurance. My parents are paying about 300 a month for my car alone!! So, I'll just sit tight and have as much fun as I can with my 4x2. Not many places down here to climb, execpt the levy, so we mainly just mud. Haven't gotten stuck yet. And if I do, well then that's what friends are for. smile

#570196 - 13/06/03 06:40 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth. The insurance difference for a 2WD version of my Xterra would be less than $1 per month.
As far as payments, assuming about $100/month for every $5000 financed over 5 years, the extra cost of 4WD is <$50/month in payments.

Bummer you got stuck with a 2WD over that.
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#570197 - 13/06/03 01:43 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Shockinxterra Offline

I guess another reason that they didn't get me a 4x4 is cause they knew I would offroad. lol. I went offroading in my previous truck and the engine sucked up a bunch of mud. [Freak] But anyway I'll the best with what I have

#570198 - 14/06/03 11:34 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth. The insurance difference for a 2WD version of my Xterra would be less than $1 per month.
As far as payments, assuming about $100/month for every $5000 financed over 5 years, the extra cost of 4WD is <$50/month in payments.

Bummer you got stuck with a 2WD over that.
Brent
well brent now that your proved your not only arrogant, but also ignorant let me fill you in.

it may be a myth... for you. I know for me the difference was around $300 a year... making it about $25/mo... add that to your $50/mo, in payment increase.

so in the time i have owned my X i would have paid $3,075 more than i have already.

In addition I would have damaged several more parts I'm sure(but thats more based on what i would do with a 4x4)

I don't know about you but in 3 years I have saved a nice chunk of change and have a vehicle I'm happy with

#570199 - 15/06/03 12:37 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
4WD costing more to insure than 2WD is a myth.
Gee, I thought the purpose of insurance was to replace or fix things that get broken or stolen.

That means the insurance company has to spend $$$. So if you have something that costs more $$$ to begin with, the insurance company is going to want to get more $$$.

I know there was a price difference for 4x4 for my insurance, as others have reported. For the SC too (gee, what a suprise - it cost more to begin with!)

Perhaps your insurance company was screwing you to begin with and that's why they didn't feel compelled to charge you more [Huh?]

#570200 - 16/06/03 07:57 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I called my insurance agent last year to inquire how much cheaper it would be if I had a 2WD, the difference was under $1. If your insurance is different, so be it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#570201 - 16/06/03 11:50 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Shockinxterra Offline

OK, you all say that 4x4 isn't much more. But consider this, I'm only 18. Insurance rates are way higher for me. For my age group, getting a 4x4 is like getting a sports coupe.

#570202 - 16/06/03 03:47 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
I called my insurance agent last year to inquire how much cheaper it would be if I had a 2WD, the difference was under $1. If your insurance is different, so be it.
thats cool... like i said before when this came up, it maybe a CA thing, the reason as it was explained to me was "Risk". People who drive 4x4's are more likely to seriously damage their vehicles

#570203 - 18/06/03 01:59 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Definately a Cali thang... I talked to my auto insurance company (Prudential), and they said that if I had a 4x4 instead of a 4x2, my premium would jump another $220 for six months... Total of $440 a year ...

But I'm more than happy with my 4x2... Everything I need, nothing I don't!!!!

- Air B

#570204 - 18/06/03 03:02 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
I don't know about you but in 3 years I have saved a nice chunk of change and have a vehicle I'm happy with.[/QB]
The end of the comment above is the bottom line for this entire discussion - being happy with what you're driving. People who are compelled to belittle other peoples' choices will need a lot more than a 4x4 truck to fix their real problem.

#570205 - 18/06/03 04:02 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
The end of the comment above is the bottom line for this entire discussion - being happy with what you're driving. People who are compelled to belittle other peoples' choices will need a lot more than a 4x4 truck to fix their real problem.
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.

#570206 - 18/06/03 05:10 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.

It just seems that every time someone does ask the question they get chastised. I can understand being proud of something you own, but I didn't think 4x2 bashing someone's ride was something you beat your chest over. But then again, I'm still the "FNG" so what do I know?!

laugh

#570207 - 19/06/03 04:03 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
I completely agree, but the only reason a lot of these discussions get started is people with 4x2s inquiring about how far they can push their truck in a domain where a 4x4 would be more appropriate.[/QUOTE]

You're right, but the puzzler is why don't people just say what you said in a respectful way as opposed to thrashing around pointing out the "error" of 4x2 buyers' ways (in their not-so-humble opinion). There are some on this board who are so indignant about the "anything but a 4x4 is a waste" thing that it's pretty clear their issues go way beyond how much farther into the mud they can go. [Freak]

#570208 - 19/06/03 07:21 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

I happen to be a proud owner of an SE 4x2 and have absolutely no complaints. I have taken it on some pretty nasty trails in Germany, snow and ice cover mountains of Austria, and sandy beaches in Spain. I bought a 4x2 to lower the cost, lower the MPG, and thought it might go a little faster on the autobahn. My initial thoughts were right. I have never been in a situation where I needed a 4x4. However, I didn't buy it to climb Everest or deep mud fording. If you wanted a vehicle to do these things, you should have bought a 4x4. Can't afford one? Than maybe you shouldn't be 4 wheelin'!

#570209 - 19/06/03 09:04 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Vaca Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Romad:
Can't afford one? Than maybe you shouldn't be 4 wheelin'!
Wouldn't you be two-wheelin' in that case? laugh

My 4x4 scares me anyway, but I feel cool having a shifter, so it was worth it to me. My $0.03 here is that the bottom line is being happy with your vehicle.

I just don't PERSONALLY understand why someone would get a 2wd SUV. If I wanted an inexpensive car, or one with cheap insurance, I'd get something else. My last car cost less than half as much on gas as my X.

I do not subscribe to the believe that SUVs are minivan replacements, therefore I don't understand why someone would get a 2wd model under the guise of having kids, pets, or groceries to cart around and not have enough cash to support the 4wd model. Likewise, SUVs aren't pickup trucks meant to do serious hauling, so their proper usage lies somewhere inbetween. Minivans with the soul of Paul Bunyon or something. [Laughing]

I'm rambling. More power to you if you have a 2wd model--you'd probably clown me anyway. laugh

#570210 - 19/06/03 09:11 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vaca:
[QB]I just don't PERSONALLY understand why someone would get a 2wd SUV. If I wanted an inexpensive car, or one with cheap insurance, I'd get something else. My last car cost less than half as much on gas as my X.

I do not subscribe to the believe that SUVs are minivan replacements, therefore I don't understand why someone would get a 2wd model under the guise of having kids, pets, or groceries to cart around and not have enough cash to support the 4wd model. Likewise, SUVs aren't pickup trucks meant to do serious hauling, so their proper usage lies somewhere inbetween. Minivans with the soul of Paul Bunyon or something. [Laughing]

Have you ever tried hauling a 3K boat with a car or minivan? Don't quite need the guzzling of a fullsize truck - not all the time, though I own a 99 3/4 4x4 Chevy as well as 2 SUV's, both paid for and well paid for themselves several times over. Granted my SUV's don't have the gas mileage cars do, but are much better then I've read some other SUV's are. And they do come in handy, even the 4x2, on several occasions in regards to pulling the boat out of small docks where the big truck/camper can't quite fit.

#570211 - 20/06/03 01:25 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wouldn't you be two-wheelin' in that case?

In my opinion, to each his own. But it would not be two wheelin' if I have 4 tires on the ground! wink
I agree that SUV's aren't made for serious hauling but they get the job done and they do it well. They also CAN be a replacement for minivans depending on what you buy it for. Lot's of people don't like the look of a minivan and prefer the rugged look of an SUV. Why would I spend the money on something I may never use? Just because I can say "yeah I have 4 wheel drive, don't you see my shifter!" It's not worth the cash and I didn't buy the vehicle to impress my peers. Granted it's not the most economically sound vehicle but in my opinion it may be the most ergonomically sound for my needs.
Again, to each his/her own. laugh

#570212 - 28/06/03 05:25 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
FANOF5 Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city, and i do not have the $$$$$$ to spend when i ding up my X off roading with the 4x4ers. don't get me wrong, if i had alot of $$$$$$ to spend i would have bought a 4x4.

#570213 - 28/06/03 10:12 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by FANOF5:
i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city
So why not buy a mini van with more room, better safety, better mileage, better handling, better performance, better everything ?

#570214 - 28/06/03 10:27 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Rickster43 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by FANOF5:
[b]i bought my 4x2 for family room and thats all. i live in the city
So why not buy a mini van with more room, better safety, better mileage, better handling, better performance, better everything ?[/b]
...Cause he wanted an Xterra...This is America, you can get whatever the Fuck you want, man....

#570215 - 28/06/03 10:36 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Are you two buddies now ?

#570216 - 29/06/03 07:15 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Rickster43 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Are you two buddies now ?
....Good come back!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal