shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570217 - 29/06/03 11:13 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought all of us were buddies here...

[Finger]

#570218 - 29/06/03 01:36 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

There seems to be so much animosity between the 4x2 owners and 4x4 owners, why? Didn't we all purchase the X because, the bottom line, WE LIKE IT?
Not all X owners plan on off roading, at least I don't. Is the X only good for that? I don't think so. I had a 4x4 a few years ago, living in Northwestern Pennsylvania, lots' of snow. Did I need the 4 wheel drive capability? Hardly. Managed just fine without it. So why have 4x4 if you don't need it? I bought my X because the reliability of my two previous Nissans, and because I love the X, the way it looks and the way it handles, and plenty of room for my camping stuff.

#570219 - 29/06/03 01:55 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2old4genX:
There seems to be so much animosity between the 4x2 owners and 4x4 owners, why? Didn't we all purchase the X because, the bottom line, WE LIKE IT?
Not all X owners plan on off roading, at least I don't. Is the X only good for that? I don't think so. I had a 4x4 a few years ago, living in Northwestern Pennsylvania, lots' of snow. Did I need the 4 wheel drive capability? Hardly. Managed just fine without it. So why have 4x4 if you don't need it? I bought my X because the reliability of my two previous Nissans, and because I love the X, the way it looks and the way it handles, and plenty of room for my camping stuff.
Most of the people here had a really bad relationship with a 4x2 that left them emotionally scarred. They just haven't gotten over it yet. I've suggested counseling, but it didn't help. If you're looking for love, you're definitely not going to find it here. [Finger] laugh

#570220 - 29/06/03 02:08 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks ELFTERRA, I needed a good laugh!! [Laughing]

#570221 - 29/06/03 07:45 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
FANOF5 Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
just like very other thread on this forum, you always get some dickhead old timer who just HAS to say something smart about everything. you learn to ignore it and move on.

#570222 - 29/06/03 07:53 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
FANOF5 Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
i am 26, my wife is 23, and my son is 2 1/2. we are too young for a mini van IMO. i have always liked the X since it came out, and i was finally able to afford one, thats why i bought one...... no offense to any mini van owners. one day i might own one. laugh laugh

#570223 - 29/06/03 09:22 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
darcon Offline

Loc: Martin, TN
Quote:
Most of the people here had a really bad relationship with a 4x2 that left them emotionally scarred. They just haven't gotten over it yet. I've suggested counseling, but it didn't help. If you're looking for love, you're definitely not going to find it here.
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Sounds kind of like a "penis envy" kind of thing... remember it's not the length or width... it's how you use it! laugh

Honestly, I am starting to get very sick of every thread on this site going the way of the 4X2 vs. the 4X4. This is insane... other than the tranny, guess what kids... it's the same damn vehicle!

I didn't go the 4X4 route becuase of the gas mileage issue, and you guys with the 4X4 SCs, you have my deepest sympathies... I have a lead foot, along with the jack rabbit takeoff syndrome, so my gas mileage sucks bad enough with the 4X2... didn't need the additional insult when I went to the gas pumps...

Also, I have noticed that a lot of folks here have started to not list under their usernames whether or not they have a 4X4 or 4X2... what gives here, are you not proud of your X's? I drive a 4X2 and am damn proud of it... I don't pay extra at the pumps for the 4X4, nor extra for insurance (it's not a myth...), and evidently, don't suffer from the "penis envy" associated by some (note that I don't say "all")with not driving a 4X4...

remember guys it's not a size issue, it's how you use it! [Spit]

now for those of you who feel the need to make a smart ass comment to this, [Save the fine unicorns]

#570224 - 29/06/03 09:22 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Warning, long post! This is a collection of random thoughts, primarily on this topic.

I'll admit the primary reason I bought my X is because I think they look cool as heck. To that, I don't think there are many here who would disagree, or we'd all probably be on some other board extolling the virtues of our other desired brand of truck.

I obviously did not buy it for the gas mileage. That's a pretty well worn subject on here, so I'll leave it at that.

I did buy it because, even in 4x2 form, it has superb ground clearance and pretty good approach and departure angles. I did intend, when I purchased the X, to take it off-road some, but realize that with only two driven wheels, there would be many limitations.

For example, living in Alabama, our clay-based soil dries pretty quickly to a fairly firm, if not rock-hard, consistency. Once it rains good, though, look out. When they were building our house, I drove into what is now my back yard with my old F-150 (4x2) and immediately sunk it to the diff in mud. Lots of rocking and wheelspin eventually got it out, but lesson learned.

A similar lesson was learned in the same F-150 when I was doing a turnaround in some loose sand and immediately dug down in about six inches in and got stuck on LEVEL ground. Second lesson learned. (Funny side note - I dug myself out of that situation with a plastic oil funnel!)

Now I'll admit, I love looking at the pictures of the 4x4 guys climbing over rock strewn paths, plowing through foot deep mud and two foot deep water holes, climbing steep inclines, balancing on rutted surfaces with one wheel hanging freely in the air.

I'll also be the first to admit that my 4x2 would be hopelessly stuck in all of those situations. There is simply the sheer physics of turning (most of the time) all four wheels with power that makes those applications possible for a 4x4 and improbable with a 4x2.

Sure, I could probably take my 4x2 and clamber up a muddy incline, but only by utilizing momentum and sheer luck (and terribly damaging the trail in the process, and possibly bits of undercarriage).

On the other hand, there is a certain challenge of taking my 4x2 and finding it's limits, in the same manner that others with 4x4's attempt to find the limits of their vehicles and/or the modifications to their vehicles.

I'll never pretend that I could ever keep up with any 4x4 vehicle in particularly rough terrain for which only the 4x4 vehicle should be traversing.

By the same token, I'll never try to be a wannabee by throwing good money at items intended more for a 4x4 rig, such as lifting my rig, throwing on 31" or 32" mud tires all around and so forth. (I have, admittedly, considered having an air locker installed, since the factory LSD fairly sucks).

Anyways, bottom line is that some folks buy a 4x2 Xterra solely on looks. Others on room (if you look at some of the other similar sized SUV's on the market, they either have a much smaller cargo area, less rear seat room, or both).

Many buy a 4x4 Xterra to go off-road, and I applaud those that do. Get out there and get 'em dirty - you're getting the most bang for the buck, in my opionion. On the other hand, I wonder how many mall cruisers are running around with a front diff idly wasting away.

A final note. I took my X in last week to get a faulty power window switch assembly replaced (and my diff fluid changed). While waiting for my wife to pick me up, I browsed the lot and looked at the new '03 X's. Out of about a dozen X's on the lot, one (1) of them was a 4x4.

That's somewhat of a sad commentary in and of itself. On the other hand, that means there will be eleven new X owners in our area not wasting good front diff hardware running to Lowes and the mall.

By the way, I'd trade up to a 4x4 if it were economically feasible for me to do so. I've been pricing used 4x4's, and they're still about $3k to $4k more than what I paid for my 4x2 ($15k to $16k vs. the $12k I paid for mine), with more miles on them.

Maybe when mine turns over 60k miles and drops completely out of warranty, I'll look into it again. Until then, I'm having fun, and that's what counts, in my opinion. (It also doesn't hurt that my X is completely paid for).

Whether you bought your X for carrying the family around on paved roads, or for rock-crawling through the North Carolina forests or squeezing through impossibly tight squeezes in Utah or Colorado, have fun, stick around, enjoy the pics, ask some questions (use the search function first, though), share your experiences and knowledge with others and try to get along.

#570225 - 29/06/03 09:42 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
darcon Offline

Quote:
Now I'll admit, I love looking at the pictures of the 4x4 guys climbing over rock strewn paths, plowing through foot deep mud and two foot deep water holes, climbing steep inclines, balancing on rutted surfaces with one wheel hanging freely in the air.
Totally agree... I even have a shot like this as wallpaper on my computer...

Quote:
A final note. I took my X in last week to get a faulty power window switch assembly replaced (and my diff fluid changed). While waiting for my wife to pick me up, I browsed the lot and looked at the new '03 X's. Out of about a dozen X's on the lot, one (1) of them was a 4x4.

That's somewhat of a sad commentary in and of itself. On the other hand, that means there will be eleven new X owners in our area not wasting good front diff hardware running to Lowes and the mall.
Same mentallity here with my local dealer, and with many other dealers, if you check through the Nissan search for vehicle through local dealers function; which leads me to the rational of "Guess what 4X4 guys, there's a lot more of us 4X2 guys than you on a national level." Maybe not on this board, yet; but on a national level. [Finger]

#570226 - 29/06/03 10:06 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Did you ever think there are so many 4X2's on the lot because all of the 4X4's got SOLD? When I was at the dealership the other day I was talking to one of the saleman and he said that they can't keep the 4WD's in stock, yet the 4X2's some of them have been sitting on the lot for a few months. [Laughing]

#570227 - 29/06/03 10:14 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Did you ever think there are so many 4X2's on the lot because all of the 4X4's got SOLD? When I was at the dealership the other day I was talking to one of the saleman and he said that they can't keep the 4WD's in stock, yet the 4X2's some of them have been sitting on the lot for a few months. [Laughing]
No, I asked when a salesman came out to the lot to accost, er, help me. He more or less quoted the opposite and said that they just don't get much call for 4x4's, so they primarily order 4x2's.

Around these parts, ATV's rule for off-roading. Gotta be careful when I wheel around the neighborhood that I don't run over one of my neighbors' 12-year-old kids running around on their ATV's.

Even when a few of us went wheeling last weekend in the local wildlife management area, we passed dozens of ATV's, several dirt bikes and one lone truck.

#570228 - 29/06/03 10:47 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Nice rant Malcolm, you understand my feelings well.

#570229 - 30/06/03 03:50 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Talley:
No, I asked when a salesman came out to the lot to accost, er, help me. He more or less quoted the opposite and said that they just don't get much call for 4x4's, so they primarily order 4x2's.
It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#570230 - 30/06/03 04:02 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
qb][/QUOTE]It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Same here Jorge, anytime I've been in the dealer lot, 70% seem to be 4x4....and they have never had more then ONE S/C on the lot, sometimes none, say they ussually get no more then 3 and they are gone in days....

BRX

#570231 - 30/06/03 05:33 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
darcon Offline

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge:
It's obviously different per area. In Jersey 2WDs are fairly rare, I've only seen about 3 in the last year. My guess the amount of 4WDs vs 2WDs is directly proportional to how much snow an area gets.
That would make sense... I've spoken with my dealer here, and he says that 4WDs have a tendency to spend double or triple the amount of time of the 2WDs sitting on the lot. Therefore the only way that they ever get one in, is when it is ordered, and they know that they are selling one. Must be a southern vs. northern thing... anybody up for a Xterra Civil War? North vs. South... 4WD vs. 2WD... All of us 2WD owners could succeed... we could further divide the union that combines us (ie. we all drive the same vehicle and this board). Now we are talking about some fun! (note the intended sarcasm...) :rolleyes:

#570232 - 30/06/03 03:42 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Nice rant Malcolm, you understand my feelings well.
Why, thank you. Guess it's one of those things I had to get off my chest. smile All in all, I enjoy being here. Most of my clothing is pretty flame-retardant. :p

FWIW, I keep track of all the 4x4's for sale within a 300 mile radius, just in case. cool

#570233 - 04/07/03 07:27 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Finally, there's a place where Xterra 4x4 owners can go to feel the pain we 2WD'ers feel here on XOC.

Sadly, the owners of "mere 4x4's" are ostracized by these drivers since of course buying a vehicle with "only" 4WD is clearly a waste.

[Smoking]

#570234 - 06/07/03 05:31 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
No response from Ian. Must have been away for the weekend. laugh

#570235 - 06/07/03 06:38 AM Re: 4x2 Off-road
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
Finally, there's a place where Xterra 4x4 owners can go to feel the pain we 2WD'ers feel here on XOC.

Sadly, the owners of "mere 4x4's" are ostracized by these drivers since of course buying a vehicle with "only" 4WD is clearly a waste.

[Smoking]
Hehe - we got one of those running in neigbourhood. How that thingy isnt rolling over - beyound me 8)

#570236 - 06/07/03 06:38 PM Re: 4x2 Off-road
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
My brother in law used to import the Pinz. They trully are the best offroad vehicle. Surprising they are hard to roll. The entire drive train is housed up in the frame. My brother in law would get one in and totally go through it and modify certain things and sold them for around $40,000.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal