2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570693 - 18/01/05 05:39 AM 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All!

I am going skiing this weekend and I was wondering how the 2wd X was going to handle in the snow. Has anyone had any exprience with this? Can anyone give me some pointers?
Thanks in advance.

~matt

#570694 - 18/01/05 05:44 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Lewis:
Hi All!

I am going skiing this weekend and I was wondering how the 2wd X was going to handle in the snow. Has anyone had any exprience with this? Can anyone give me some pointers?
Thanks in advance.

~matt
Drive slow, don't nail the gas and give yourself more time to stop and turn than you normally would.

#570695 - 18/01/05 05:46 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have the Crapper stock tires. I would get a different set of tires......

#570696 - 18/01/05 06:07 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XTERRANJJOE:
If you have the Crapper stock tires. I would get a different set of tires......
Sure, if you can cough up $500 in a few days.

#570697 - 18/01/05 06:09 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

First and foremost, make sure you have a tow/recovery strap in your truck! laugh

Oh yea, and have fun!

#570698 - 18/01/05 06:19 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

id say just take it easy, dont let the truck get away from you, i have the stock tires on mine but its 4wd, but if im in snow and in 2wd it seems to get stuck easy on certain icy/heavily packed snow spots, if its a 5spd start out in 2nd most of the time and try to avoid stopping on hills or else you might find your speedometer going 45 and the truck sliding backwards

#570699 - 18/01/05 07:17 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
You can probably find a lot more discussion if you use the search function. In the search function, just type in a key word, and a forum that matches, (like "driving in snow" in the 2WD forum)

I am the new Search Nazi!

#570700 - 18/01/05 07:36 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

put on your seat belt, drive slow, take it easy on turns and switchin lanes, hold on and have some fun

#570701 - 18/01/05 08:40 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Get some weight in the back of the truck. X's in 2wd (or that only have 2wd) suffer big-time trying to push the engine-weighted front tires through the snow. Throw a couple 50lb sand bags under the luggage in the back hatch and it'll help alot. If the back springs are noticeably compressed, you probably have too much weight. wink Of course, this advice only applies for getting the X moving. Nothing helps to slow you down or turn on the slick stuff (good tires help marginally). Like the others said- plenty of room to stop, plan your driving moves well in advance so you can just kind of "coast" to where you want to be without using the brakes.

#570702 - 18/01/05 08:46 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Drive like you're trying not so spill a cup of coffee.

#570703 - 18/01/05 08:48 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the responses. I have been doing some research but there is nothing like first hand experience.

Would anyone suggest to gear down when in hilly, snowy areas, like coming down from the mountain after skiing? It would be on a curvy nonpaved access road.

Thanks again.

~matt

#570704 - 18/01/05 10:30 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
You would definately want to gear down for heading downhill. Engine-braking is less likely to put you into a skid than hitting the brakes, as engine-braking in 2wd will slow the rear wheels, while brakes are proportioned more towards the front wheels. The unpaved road will probably be to your advantage, as there will be more natural "traction". The key is to make your downshifts as delicate as possible, otherwise you make break the wheels loose when you drop the clutch. As I said before, just try to plan and drive way ahead of where you are. Usually by the time you realise you're going too fast for conditions, its too late. I like the analogy of driving like you're trying to not spill coffee.

#570705 - 18/01/05 10:40 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea definetly use the engine for braking, im assuming you have a 5spd? if you do keep it in 2nd when going down, dont pump the brakes cuz of the ABS but if your going to brake, apply them gently and in intervals, if you do slide the abs will kick in so just keep you foot planted on the pedal....if you in an automatic keep it in 2..depending on the grade of the hill maybe even 1 and no sudden turns or you'll just keep going straight..i love playin in snow in 2wd in open parkin lots so i've learned alot in the short time i've had my X, when it looses traction, its gone until it either hits something or does a 180 and stops...or so this is what my x does...also FYI try to stay away from the edge of the road, generally snow and ice like to pile up and pulls the wheels off onto the side..just take it slow smile

#570706 - 18/01/05 11:25 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let us know how it goes too dude. Never driven my X in the snow, but we were considering a trip up to Flagstaff to check out the snow if it snows again this year.

#570707 - 18/01/05 01:29 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
pdanko Offline

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
I has a 2wd X before my recent trade up. Last winter we hit and ice storm in the middle of westrern Kansas on the way to Breckenridge. Not good. Put it this way. I got stuck in the Applebee's parking lot in Ft. Hays. Bottom line, treat your X like you would any rear wheel drive pickup.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -Voltaire

#570708 - 18/01/05 10:39 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Prepare for the worst, and you should be fine! By that, I mean take a recovery strap, borrow some tire chains, sand or salt in the back (for weight and assistance getting unstuck if you need it.)

[Wave]

#570709 - 18/01/05 11:53 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
dont pump the brakes cuz of the ABS but if your going to brake, apply them gently and in intervals, if you do slide the abs will kick in so just keep you foot planted on the pedal
ABS is nice, but if you "plant it" and all 4 tires lock up, the abs has no idea you are still moving.. The trick is at lease 1 tire has to be turning for the abs to kick in.. otherwise it would pulse at evert stoplight & stopsign, just to make sure you were stopped, and not sliding...
If you start to slide (and you will know it) let off the brakes (they arn't doing any good anyway) and let the truck straighten up, then reapply the brakes. the hardest thing to do is stop at a light, on a paved, ice covered, downhill, when it turns yellow on you and you don't have a choice.. Boy, that was fun... :rolleyes:

#570710 - 19/01/05 02:17 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

today was my first experience in it, i was lucky i was on gravel, because that gave me plenty of traction, and it was only an inch thick, but once i hit regular snow...its terrible, as someone said, just like any normal rear wheel drive car. It's kind of odd, everyone just assumes my car would be amazing in the snow, and they're like "well atleast you have 4x4" "no..." "atleast its front wheel" "no..." "oh"...

but oh well, it doesn't snow too often here for me to be worried about it, i have a 4x4 wrangler incase i need it drastically. I need to try out putting weights in the back, and is a better set of tires noticeablly better?

#570711 - 19/01/05 06:43 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

being 2wd you can run different tires at each end.. Might try a really good pair of AT's for the rear.. May end up just needing chains or studded tires tho...

#570712 - 21/01/05 11:58 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
ABS is nice, but if you "plant it" and all 4 tires lock up, the abs has no idea you are still moving.. The trick is at lease 1 tire has to be turning for the abs to kick in.. otherwise it would pulse at evert stoplight & stopsign, just to make sure you were stopped, and not sliding...
That makes no sense. The ABS system can certainly recognize the difference between all 4 tires going from 10+ MPH to "0 MPH" in an instant vs. a gradual slowing to a complete stop, and will react accordingly to get the tires rolling again.

#570713 - 21/01/05 12:36 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
I've driven in the snow a few times in my X and the advice about throwin some sandbags in the back is right on
Just take it easy, stay on the road, don't try anyhting stupid and you'll be fine. And don't be ashamed to carry a tow strap and a good set of chains

#570714 - 21/01/05 08:33 PM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

someone if snow country so a test for me..
Get your rin to 10 or 15 mph in a packed snow/ice covered parking lot. Try to lock up the brakes by planting your foot as hard as you can. report back as to weather you can lock all 4 tires and slide or not.. Not the loose snow, the packed stuff.. no chains / studded tires either..

#570715 - 22/01/05 09:02 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in Utah, so I get to deal with snow from October to March. So here are my suggestions that haven't already been said. When you start sliding (notice I said when, not if) you have to turn into the slide, even though your gut tells you to turn away.. i.e. you go around a left turn and keep going right, turn your wheels back to the right. You want to get your tread back in line with you direction your going. Other than that definately get some bags of salt. My Xterra can make it just fine up the canyons to the slopes if I do those things.

#570716 - 24/01/05 04:29 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Like a one legged pig on an ice skate...

The only way I would ever depend on a 2WD Xterra (or any 2WD truck) to be driveable and halfway safe in the snow is with true winter tires...WInter Duelers, something with studs, etc.

And yes it is possible to lock all wheels at the same time and have the ABS think the vehicle is stopped if it is slippery enough, although it should only happen at very slow speeds, like below 5 MPH.

#570717 - 26/01/05 05:21 AM Re: 2wd and Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well thank you all for your responses! I just got back from my skiing trip and everything went great! I had no trouble what so ever, on the drive there the interstate was fairly clear so I just took it nice and slow. In fact, 6" of snow had just dropped and except for the interstate the roads weren't even plowed yet but the X made it all the way to the top of the mountain even when the 5 other cars/vans got stuck half way up. Everyone thought that the X was 4wd with the way I was able to make it up the mountain. I was very pleased with the X's performance in the snow.

I kept it in 2nd gear, maintained a constant speed, had at least 150lbs of luggage in the back along with 3 passengers not included myself. I took everyone's advice and I appreciate all the reponses.
Thanks again,
Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal