2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#570894 - 02/04/08 03:20 PM Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was curious as to what the off-road limitations were for a bone stock 5 speed v6 with solid on/off road tires are.

I'm not expecting to tackle the extremes of the saharas, but I do like to hike and mountain bike. So basically, what can these things do?

[Wave]

#570895 - 02/04/08 04:04 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

well from my experiences with my 4x2 it has gotten me as far as ive ever wanted. except at a trail run with some pretty gnarly stuff. just stay away from really off camber stuff and keep those back wheels on the ground as much as possible and keep momentum thru the mud and muck. enjoy it!

#570896 - 02/04/08 06:01 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll put it this way...same driver, two different vehicles in same sticky situation. A 4x4 durango and my 2wd X. My X got out, the durango needed a tow from a lifted F-350 4x4. Enough said.

#570897 - 02/04/08 06:08 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends alot on the driver. Join a local club, go on a run and learn what you can and can't do surrounded by guys that know what to do.... they will throw you a strap when needed wink

#570898 - 02/04/08 06:34 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hehe, thanks for the feedback guys, I'm not planning on doing anything extreme, just wanted to verify that my ride can handle some choppy trails and such.

Based on your responses I should be adequately equipped!

#570899 - 07/04/08 11:01 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

depends on the driver, but my 2wd has gotten me through tons of stuff. and it's stock by the way. you can get in and out of many places, just stay away from sand lol

#570900 - 02/05/08 02:51 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've gone on impromptu offroad adventures in dirt areas around the valley. Some mild trails that have some sudden dips and bumps. I'd go uphill or go around/over things that require a lot of flex.

The factory ride height, ground clearance, and the the 265/70R16 tires that appear to be factory stock size are completely amazing. I've got a 2wd V6 manual transmission and the gearing on it, especially in 1st lets you claw out of damn near anything. I actually followed a buddy around in a 4x4 1988 Pathfinder and I was going everywhere he was going too. I can't imagine what I'd be able to do with a 4x4 X.

#570901 - 16/05/08 10:30 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

after my latest trips and having to have 2 people stand on the rear bumper for weight to add some tracktion, i am keeping some sand sand bags in my xterra so that if i need the extra weight then i can fill them up with dirt and get some traction. just a thought.

#570902 - 26/06/08 08:34 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

The XterraRacer is only 2wd and it does everything that "Best in the Desert" puts out in front of it. Mile long silt beds to knarly rock climbs up some mining trail. And yes it is stock! I only added shocks and heavier springs. The rest is just decals and skid plate, trust me!!!!!

Most of it does depend on driver ablity though.

#570903 - 28/06/08 11:43 AM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2WD xterra I have to say for the street it is great and also for camping. My advice is dont go where it is slick and dont go into sand with it.

#570904 - 14/07/08 10:53 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hear ya about the sand, here in Hawaii that is something to think about. I almost got stuck in sand near the beach and that scared me straight...no more of that. My 4x2 X can go pretty much everywhere else though, love the ground clearance on my Offroad.

#570905 - 21/07/09 05:41 PM Re: Off-road limitations of the 4x2 [Re: Anonymous]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
It all depends on the DRIVER.

A good driver in a clapped out slammed chevy vega can sometimes get further than a bad driver in a lifted lockered monster.

Its a big variable.

Generally, the disadvantages of a 2wd vs a 4wd center around a lack of a t-case with a low range, the inability to pull oneself up over things...and that with an open diff, if ONE tire loses traction, you're stuck.

So, if doing 2wd, you can do like Xterra Racer, and lock the rear, so one tire slipping DOESN'T mean you're stuck, get the fattest, tallest tires that will fit, to maximize flotation and traction, and wheel with adequate recovery gear/friends for the terrain.

If all you're doing is fire roads, and dirt roads to fishing spots, etc....you don't need to DO anything, you're fine as is.

laugh

If you're going through deep mud, or sugar sand, etc....well, then you DO need to do things.

As for rock climbs over boulder fields, etc....you can TB.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal