shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#571032 - 17/12/03 06:15 PM Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Degree of difficulty? Anyone have experience with this yet? Should I go body lift or susp. lift? I really want to do the 3" susp lift, considering it would raise the whole thing, not just the body...anyways...just checking..thanks..and if anyone has links to a write up for either, that would be great.

Dave.

#571033 - 25/12/03 11:15 PM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
while i haven't installed a body lift myself, i know someone who has.

i think he said it took him roughly 8-10 hours of work. this time can vary of course, depending on how careful you are and how much time you take.

a body lift AND the installation from a 4x4 shop will probably cost you less than a true susp. lift's parts alone.

#571034 - 26/12/03 09:12 AM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
BL is no different between a 2WD and 4WD.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#571035 - 26/12/03 07:57 PM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
correct. either way it's a lot of work.

#571036 - 28/12/03 08:18 PM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
It depends on what you want from your lift. If you are off-roading, the suspension lift is the way to go since that is giving you more ground clearance, and (slightly) more articulation. The body lift is really just for more clearance from the tires to the body so you can fit bigger tires.

As for work load, I would say both lifts are somewhat comparable, just different. I installed a 3" susp lift, and it should take one day, but took two because one of the UCA camber bolts was seized into place and that was a royal PITA to deal with. I just recently added an additional 3" of body lift. Also, kind of a pain in the ass, but it was done in one long day. Getting everything apart and lifting the body itself wasn't that bad, it was more getting all the bumper relocation brakets together and remounting the radiator and things like that. Both are fairly involved, but I would say the susp is truly "bolt-on" where as the body lift requires a little more detail things and some slight cutting of metal.

I would say that a susp lift is practical for off-roading, and a body lift is more just for show. However, a susp lift AND body lift gives you both sides of the coin. For me, I had the susp lift and it was great, but I was running 33s on stock rims and I wanted a wider stance, with more offset rims. I went to 10" rims, with 3.25" offset. They stick out a lot, and I had clearance issues with the body. (bigtime issues up front while turning) So, up the body went! :-)

http://www.haughs.net/memories/2003/haspin/photos/photo_27.html

http://www.haughs.net/memories/2003/haspin/photos/photo_11.html

Enjoy!

#571037 - 29/12/03 08:56 PM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the tips and responses...and thanks for the pics..that's a great looking Yellow X you've got there...

Dave.

#571038 - 30/12/03 06:42 PM Re: Who has installed a Body Lift on their 2wd X?
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
[Wave]

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal