2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#571457 - 25/02/02 12:16 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by LOGAN:
Quote:
Except for me...maybe...... :rolleyes:
Maybee ????????

#571458 - 25/02/02 12:21 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:

but now the debate is not even about that, it seems to be more about trying to convince people i am the one who starts this fight... when in reality i just want to go out and have a good time with fellow x owners who dont care whether we have 4x2's or 4x4's
I thought the dabate (in part) was about this imaginary "bias" that you believed existed within XOC....and why there is so much talk about 4wd and off-roading here, but none about pre-running and desert racing.

#571459 - 25/02/02 12:54 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra_canuck:
My apologies, Todrick, I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was criticizing you...

...Good luck in the future taking your X places it shouldn't be able to go, and proving nay-sayers wrong.

Happy wheeling.[/QB]
thanks man, the post was not so much directed at you, but the comments you made have been made by others... and its especialy true in this case... ID DID NOT START THIS... and when i do come in and defend those of us who made the choice to buy and wheel with a 2wd, i get blamed for being the one who always starts it...

thats simply not the case... its really a pointless arguement... as it seems that i am arguing one poitn while the oposition ignores it and argues a completely different point, its like clapping with one hand... and no resolution will ever come of it

#571460 - 25/02/02 01:00 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
I thought the dabate (in part) was about this imaginary "bias" that you believed existed within XOC....and why there is so much talk about 4wd and off-roading here, but none about pre-running and desert racing.
that is part of it, but since this thing started in 2 threads simultabiously this time and then quickly spread to 2 others... it was really about several things.

when i made to post that you responded to what i was refering to was the whole debate in general, i just find it very sad that 2wd owners can not post how happy they are with their trucks in the 2wd forum with out non-2wd owners coming ibn and mocking them, or worse yet out-right slamming them for making a decision they are obviously happy with...

i just dont get it... im happy with my truck as im sure the people who argue this debate with me are happy with theirs... so whats the problem?

the problem is Opinions are like @$$holes... everyones got one

#571461 - 25/02/02 02:22 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
The reason I've gathered why someone else always steps into the 2wd forum when anyone mentions anything about a 2wd being even remotely capable offroad is just to make sure that anyone who's thinking about getting a 2wd or just got one doesn't get misled and get their hopes up thinking that they have a decent offroad machine in their hands...
So why don't we just put some big fat disclaimer at the top of the forum saying that?
Then they'd have a good heads up knowing that they should avoid getting a 2wd if you want to do anything fairly difficult offroad. Then the 2wd people can live without having a 4wd coming in and "correcting" us about what we're discussing about offroading etc. Just an honest suggestion.
I KNOW my 2wd can't go many, many, many of the places a 4wd can, I've got that in my head... but I'd like to see how far it will go, because I know that for me, it is a decent offroad truck. My definition of "offroading" is different than someone from Colorado, or California, or New York.
I know I love my 2wd... sure, I honestly wish I had 4wd, but I don't... I'm still going to have fun and see what I CAN do. Learning experience. Just my little thought.

#571462 - 25/02/02 08:23 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
...and its especialy true in this case... I DID(sic) NOT START THIS... and when i do come in and defend those of us who made the choice to buy and wheel with a 2wd, i get blamed for being the one who always starts it...

thats simply not the case...
NOT TRUE
From the Liberty Gets Air Thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Nobody(sic) gets air like Robby Gordon...
http://www.robbygordon.com/OFFROAD/glamis/glamis_air.htm
You followed immediately after with
Quote:
hey ian...

correct me if im wrong.(like i have to tell you to do that [Laughing] )

but the rear end kicks up alot of sand when he lands but the front does not... when looking at the truck profile it appears that it only has spec for "rear end"

plus historicly the Trophy Trucks are... thats right you guessed it... is that a 2wd?

ok so you say "its a purpose built 2wd"

that leads me to this... could a scorpion or unimog(being those are well suited and even purpose built to trails/rockcrawling) do that jump and survive?

i only ask cause this would illustrate the point ive been trying to make for 2 years
Opinions are like assholes, so quit rubbing yours in everybodys face.

Xterra101.com

#571463 - 25/02/02 10:33 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

like i said

"...everyones got one"

sadly Kerensky97, you did nothing more than show your lack of any understanding of the whole topic.

this time the arguement was a whole lot more complicated than 1 thread. let me explain:
---
you should read "Whew" from the 2wd forum... the attacks started there...when nolarocks was mocked. other 2wd owners jumped in and agreed with Nola after he was mocked... then i posted that i was happy that other 2wd owners had figured out that its about having a good time, not whether or not you have 4x4... it then went downhill and quickly turned into the old arguement that we all know and hate

my post to the Liberty getting air thread you mentioned was a response to the other arguement, and i posted it over 12 hours after the original arguement broke out in the "Whew" thread, which by this time was well into the second page

but i think what realy started it was Ian posting the 4x4 or 4x2? poll three days earlier. it was in that thread that that the first disagreement happened. HOWEVER it was not even about which is better or anything close to it... it was about why there were so few 4x2s on xoc in comparison to 4x4s... looking back i guess that its possible that

-my posting my belief that a few of the 4x4 owners had bullied 2wd owners so bad it had chased them away, or made them afraid to join in the first place.
and

-the fact that several people agreed with me.

ruffled feathers and prompted the attacks that happened later.

but thats just my opinion.
and like i said
"Opinions are like @$$holes..."

#571464 - 26/02/02 12:53 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
My question is this..

Why does anyone really care if Todrick wants to turn his X into a desert runner or not? It's his business, his truck..

Never have I seen Todrick say, "Why'd you lift your X, Ian?" or "What's with the Pathfinder wheels, Brent?".. I know Pathy wheels have nothing to do with it, and yes, Ian lifting his X is proportional to what an Xterra is marketed for, offroading..

But Todrick wants to go a different way, so just let him spend his 30+ on truck & mods and drop it, people.. Maybe he'll be happy, maybe he will have to eat crow, we'll see, now won't we?

Obviously, I can't hold a candle to guys like Schuld or Ian for that matter in the 4 wheeling department, that's why I shut my mouth on things like that, for I am ignorant to it.. Hell, my first offroad experience with my X won't be till this Saturday, and I've had my X longer than a lot of people around here..

All I know is, the bullshit from everyone involved in these 4x2 vs. 4x4 threads(including me) needs to stop.. It's a waste of time, and personal insults aside, will be my last comment about it in this thread..

Can't wait till everyone starts getting lockers and whatnot, then perhaps they'll start dishing out the shit on the "regular" 4x4 boys and make it even worse.. :rolleyes:

#571465 - 26/02/02 05:52 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
My question is this..

Why does anyone really care if Todrick wants to turn his X into a desert runner or not?
No one does. It's just this misconception that a 2wd Xterra is a pre-runner. It's not. It has zero capabilities of a pre-runner. Oh wait, it has IFS...just like 99% of the other cars out there on the road. A 2wd Xterra is not a trophy truck, not even remotely close. It's hard to believe anyone would really actually think that their 2wd truck is something other than a plain old 2wd truck.

Nobody cares if Todrick or any other 2wd owner takes their X off road or into the desert. But it shouldn't be posted that a 2wd is highly capable off-road or that it's a great desert runner. It's neither. It's simply facts, that's all.

#571466 - 26/02/02 09:07 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Xterrapin Flyer Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Quote:
It's hard to believe anyone would really actually think that their 2wd truck is something other than a plain old 2wd truck.
Well, I happen to believe my 2WD truck is not just a plain old 2WD truck -- it's a 2WD Xterra. Everything I need, nothing I don't. I don't need 4WD. when I get to the gnarly stuff, I park the X and whip out the mountain bike and conquer the mountain with sweat and muscle. Or maybe I'll unload my hang glider and fly over the gnarly stuff.

My 2WD X suits my needs perfectly. Where I grew up (Santa Barbara, where there are few if any off road areas) we, as boys, thought those big trucks with the huge wheels were neato. Then we grew up, realized that most of them were posers, and that the inverse proportion law applied to most of them (the bigger the tires, the smaller the penis).

I did not buy my X to make a statement, or to see how big a rock I can go over. I bought it because it carries all my toys (bikes, kayak, hang glider, mountain board) and me to the places I use them (mountains, ocean, desert). You got a problem with that?

#571467 - 26/02/02 10:14 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
[b]My question is this..

No one does. It's just this misconception that a 2wd Xterra is a pre-runner. It's not. It has zero capabilities of a pre-runner. Oh wait, it has IFS...just like 99% of the other cars out there on the road. A 2wd Xterra is not a trophy truck, not even remotely close. It's hard to believe anyone would really actually think that their 2wd truck is something other than a plain old 2wd truck.

Nobody cares if Todrick or any other 2wd owner takes their X off road or into the desert. But it shouldn't be posted that a 2wd is highly capable off-road or that it's a great desert runner. It's neither. It's simply facts, that's all.[/b]
1st of all you've been following him arround this board for 6 days now acting like a bitch in heat. Spouting off the same useless crap while ignoring anything anyone else had to say.

If you have such a hard on for Todrick , E-mail him , ask him for his number and give him a call once and for all. It's getting old . Since when are you the appointed one who should save all perspective 2wd owners from a dismal future withough 4wd. Geezuz Christ you're like a 5 year old.

2wd drive Xterras have the capability to do light off-roading. It serves the purpose of it's owners.
NOONE has EVER said it was a pre-runner , a trophy truck or any other of the overgeneralized crap that you have spewed. He wants to mod his truck to his personal tastes so be it. Let the shit go man. A week of the same shit from you is enough.

You think you're being cool by keeping the "let's dick with Todrick bandwagon going ? It stops here.

#571468 - 26/02/02 10:27 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

thanks socalpunx... you have a point, no one is listening to anyone else, nothing will ever be solved like that.

to all the 2wd owners: keep it up. you guys made a great choice and im sure you will enjoy using your truck on and off-road.

the all the 4x4 owners: keep it up. you guys made a great choice and im sure you will enjoy using your truck on and off-road.

i think thats about enough of that

#571469 - 26/02/02 10:45 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Let's discuss the capabilities of a 3wd Xterra! I mean, if you removed one hub...

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#571470 - 26/02/02 10:53 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE]Oh wait, it has IFS...just like 99% of the other [b]cars out there on the road. A 2wd Xterra is not a trophy truck, not even remotely close. [/b]
"Oh wait,"

I know you're not going to respond to this because you have a hard time seperating fact from fiction but : A) The 4wd is the same IFS so does that make it less capable for that reason? Why would you site the IFS as the reason why 2wd sucks ? At least if your're going to say it sucks , say it sucks for the right reasons. (The front diff and the little lever to shift it , perhaps?)

"Oh wait ,"

B)99% of the cars out there more accurately have 4 wheel independant suspension not just IFS. As opposed to our trucks that have a straight rear axle , unlike most cars. (and most SUVs these days for that matter)

"Oh wait,"

And C) 99% of all desert race trucks and pre-runners have IFS as well. Hummm , Mr. sarcasm , let me see here : desert running trucks have IFS , the X has IFS . I say it again : if you're going to spew crap just for the sake of spewing crap at least spew crap you know something about.

#571471 - 26/02/02 11:15 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
A) The 4wd is the same IFS so does it is obviously less capable , right ?
Um, no. It has 4wd. It has a way to control traction. A 2wd does not. It's much more capable.

IFS does not mean the Xterra is a pre-runner. If that were the case, every car on the road would be a pre-runner. When you bought your 2wd Xterra, did the window sticker mention anything about you buying the pre-runner model?

Quote:

And C) 99% of all desert race trucks and pre-runners have IFS as well. Hummm , Mr. sarcasm , let me see here : desert running trucks have IFS , the X has IFS .
So that makes the Xterra a pre-runner then?
Hoooo-kay.

Quote:

I say it again : if you're going to spew crap just for the sake of spewing crap at least spew crap you know something about.
Like the fact that desert race trucks have ifs, and the X has ifs, therefore 2wd Xterra = desert race truck. You mean that kind of crap?

I think a moderator maybe outta move this to the ALR since it's getting some people worked up.

#571472 - 26/02/02 11:21 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Once again you miss the point. I am going to try it one more time S L OO WLY.

Why argue that the X is so different solely on the fact that it is IFS ? Why not argue that the stock steering is a weak link and not up to the task of heavy high speed desert running ? Why not state that it's not ballanced and too top heavy ?

Why not give the example of the fenders being too tight as to not allow sufficient wheel travel without damage ? Why not argue that it doesn't have the horsepower to get it up and over tough jumps ?

To argue that it can't be done with the exampple of IFS is also saying that it has a common link with desert trucks. Thus contradicting yourself.

And once again , noone said that because it had IFS just like a desert runner that it made it on the same footing.

#571473 - 26/02/02 01:20 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
GrayHam Offline

4WD Xterra--moderately capable off-road, stock.
More capable with (XX)-degree of modification. Capability expands based on modifications and dollars spent (all to the taste of the owner).

2WD Xterra--slightly capable off-road, stock.
More capable with (XX)-degree of modification. Capability expands based on modifications and dollars spent (all to the taste of the owner).

Neither version of the Xterra is, right out of the box, a winner. It's a solid base to mod. You want to lift it, put big tires on it, and drive over rocks slowly? Then do it. I know it's fun. Happy wheeling.

Some want to put long-travel suspension, work on developing a faster, desert-friendly runner? Then let them do it.

You have to mod yours to get it where you are happy (at least, many have, and many will continue to).

What the hell do you care that Todrick wants to mod his this way? More power to you, Jason. Have fun.

#571474 - 26/02/02 02:24 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Just checking in. One BIG thing that separates the 4wd Xterra from the 2wd is the low gearing in 4wd. That low gearing allows the vehicle to move over obstacles slowly and in control without tearing up trails and breaking parts. It's not just an issue of power to all 4 wheels.

Anyway, back to your bickering about IFS and pre-runners.

#571475 - 26/02/02 02:39 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
nolarocks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Another BIG thing that separates the stock 4wd Xterra from the 2wd is:

"All Xterras feature healthy ground clearance, and the 4x2 versions are slightly higher than the 4x4s. The 4x2 XE rides 8.7 inches above the ground and the SE a full 9.2 inches. The 4x4 XE and SE provide 7.9 and 8.4 inches of clearance, respectively." Cars.com

eek

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - The C man

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#571476 - 26/02/02 02:40 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
Let's discuss the capabilities of a [b]3wd Xterra! I mean, if you removed one hub...[/b]
We did, I had to tow and winch Norman up every hill on Saturday. 3WD is one step below 2WD... which ain't nothing on the trails in the Northeast.

Matt

#571477 - 26/02/02 04:10 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by nolarocks:
Another BIG thing that separates the stock 4wd Xterra from the 2wd is:

"All Xterras feature healthy ground clearance, and the 4x2 versions are slightly higher than the 4x4s. The 4x2 XE rides 8.7 inches above the ground and the SE a full 9.2 inches. The 4x4 XE and SE provide 7.9 and 8.4 inches of clearance, respectively." Cars.com

eek
Why would a SE ride higher? Doesn't it have more crap on it than the XE?

#571478 - 26/02/02 04:14 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
[QUOTE]Nexterra member.
2000 Yellow XE 3Pak, Custom rack and sliders, AALs, SLR shackles, SAW T-bars, Bilsteins, Trxus tires, Skid Row skidplates, Hella 4000s, Calmini Bumper soon, and a dent.
Hey Matt , nice sig !!

#571479 - 26/02/02 10:34 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

[Spit]

matt you might want to read THIS

#571480 - 26/02/02 10:42 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Quote:
Originally posted by nolarocks:
[b]Another BIG thing that separates the stock 4wd Xterra from the 2wd is:

eek
Why would a SE ride higher? Doesn't it have more crap on it than the XE?[/b]
I'm pretty sure that quote is for the XE with the 235x70r15 tires and the SE with 265x70r15 tires. Most people got the 265's on their XE anyway, so the XE and SE are effectively the same clearance-wise if you have the same tires.

Interesting, though, that the 2WD has more clearance.

#571481 - 26/02/02 10:50 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

thats odd. because when suspensions where talked about a couple weeks ago i stated that i thought they were identical between 4x4 and 4x2 and Ian corrected me and said the 4x2's had less clearance... i have to wonder if cars.com f-ed up their numbers

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal