shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#571633 - 02/11/00 06:48 PM What are a 2X4's limits
Xterraboy Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ, 85260
Hey my name is Anthony, and I have a 2000 4X2 SE and I am interested in taking my X for some more serrious offroading. What kids of limits can a 2X4 push.

Also any tips, for a beginner!!!

Thanx

#571634 - 02/11/00 07:02 PM Re: What are a 2X4's limits
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Anything you care to tackle! Provided you have some other vehicles with you with sufficient recovery gear to get you out of stucks or help you past/over things you can't do in 4x2, you're free to try things and learn for yourself what your X can do. It's the only way you'll really challenge yourself and your X.
We took a 4x2 without the limited-slip rear diff on a trail a few months ago, it was his first 'wheeling trip. He took a bad line up a heavily rutted firm dry hill and got stuck, and nearly threw in the towel right there. We convinced him to let us pull him over and keep going, and he was glad he did. He had a blast up until there was a rocky hill he just couldn't conquer and a pull up it would have taken too long. He ran the same trail in the other direction (down that hill) later that day though.

The 4x2 will surprise you as long as you keep pushing it. Just have the help you might need handy and go for it!

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#571635 - 02/11/00 07:06 PM Re: What are a 2X4's limits
Walt Offline

Loc: Grapevine, TX
You ought to hook up with XterrAZ. Check the Arizona Club forum- they can prob give you tips on good stuff in your area.

I did a lot more stuff than I originally thought possible when I had a 2wd- it will surprise you.

Good luck-
Walt

------------------
Walter Stephenson
VP-SWXC Member #1
'00 4wd SE Solar Yellow

#571636 - 03/11/00 04:51 AM Re: What are a 2X4's limits
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Since you have the SE and therefore a Limited Slip Differential in the rear you'll get farther than if you didn't have the LSD. We were discussing different 4wheeling styles in the 4WD forum and I mentioned that I spend most of the time in 2WD when I'm offroad until I can't go any further, then switch into 4WD. I have the benefit of switching to 4WD when I get stuck in 2WD and I've learned a lot about how to handle different terrains as a result. You don't have the luxury of switching into 4WD when you get stuck, so be sure you have someone with you in a 4x4 that can pull you out if you get stuck. You'll have some trouble on steep or long hills, on sandy trails, in deep mud and be weary of deep water, but you can still have fun in your Xterra. One thing to keep in mind, momentum is your friend. Don't let up on the throttle if you feel the X struggle, as long as your moving keep on the throttle. However, once you stop moving, don't spin the tires too much because you'll just dig yourself in. Try to rock it back and forth and keep the steering wheel moving from side to side while you do it. Be sure to get a recovery strap and a snatch strap to pull you out of a stuck. Don't rely on other peoples' equipment, you'll get more respect and help if you have your on straps.

Hope this helped.
Good luck!

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra

#571637 - 03/11/00 09:26 AM Re: What are a 2X4's limits
Philosopher Offline

A 2x4's limits?

Holding up a wall, making window frames, breaking over someone's head, etc. Sorry, you asked for it.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal