shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#572470 - 15/04/03 11:42 AM 2wd lifted X
mattL Offline

hey does anyone here have a 2wd lifted x. If someone does how well does it do offroading does it keep up somewhat with a x with 4wd. Thanks.

Matt

The reason of this question is that because i love to offroad and im wanting to get a lift but unfortionatly mine is a 2wd and i would trade up for a 4x4 but im only 17 and dont have the money 2. So im just trying to do my best with my 2wd X. I wish me parents would have just bought me the 4x4 X. Hey do you guys think if i get rear air lockers would that help me out alot when im romping!

#572471 - 15/04/03 01:08 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
It depends what kind of terrain you are going to tackle...you can still do alot of "moderate" off-roading with a 4x2, what alot of people don't know about the X's is that, ALL XTERRA'S ARE BUILT FOR OFF-ROAD....but if you going to tackle "4x4" type of terrain (mudd, deep sand, big rock trails), I would take along a buddy with a 4x4, and plenty of rescue equipment (just in case)....I take my X to the construction sites and uncharted land for surveying purposes (cause of my job)...with no problem...my advise is just do it and use your own judgement of the types of terrain you are going to, and take a 4x4 buddy along...
P.S. - maybe get some all-terrain tires for off-roading....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#572472 - 15/04/03 03:15 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Lift will not make your 4x2 "keep up" with a 4x4, on 4x4 trails...

However a correctly built Long travel suspension will make your X out perform a 4x4 in "desert running"

A locker will go along way to help the 4x2 X... think of it as being 3 wheel drive smile seriously the only times i have gotten stopped in my X were due to clearnace or lifting a wheel(sometime both laugh )... a 3 inch lift and a rear locker and you have just eliminated both those issues

#572473 - 15/04/03 06:30 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
yellowfever Offline

Loc: Alabama
I just had my 2wd Xterra lifted 6"!!(3"susp. and 3" body). Im running 33x12.50 bfg all terrains. I had to do some trimming in the front wheel wells but i now have no rubbing issues! I havent noticed much power loss running the bigger tires nor gas mileage loss.

I took it offroad yesterday, nothing serious though, just a little mostly flat dirt trail. But just as the other guys have already said, it just depends on the terrain. Serious rock climbing, deep mud, and sand are the types of terrain i would NOT suggest!

Im posting pictures as soon as i get the scanned! laugh

#572474 - 15/04/03 07:08 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Munday Offline

Loc: Red Deer ,AB ,Can
So yellowfever what did you end up goin with the 15x8 or the 15x10 ?

#572475 - 15/04/03 07:35 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
yellowfever Offline

Loc: Alabama
I went with the 15x8 Eagle Alloys, with a 3 3/4 backspacing. the tires stick out about an inch and a half from the lip of the wheelwell. [Wave]

#572476 - 16/04/03 03:42 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
...you can still do alot of "moderate" off-roading with a 4x2...
no you cant wink

#572477 - 16/04/03 06:08 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
[b]...you can still do alot of "moderate" off-roading with a 4x2...
no you cant wink [/b]
yes, you can....

#572478 - 16/04/03 06:52 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]...you can still do alot of "moderate" off-roading with a 4x2...
no you cant wink [/b]
yes, you can....[/b]
4x2 modetate trail = 4x4 Very easy trail

I have been in a groups where 4x2 was present, and speed would be the only way 4x2 could take some obsticals, and speed in most of the cases offroad is not smart thing to do
and the rest of the time 4x2 was attached to a tow strap wink

( i am not talking about desert runners, there you have advantage over us )

#572479 - 16/04/03 07:05 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
no you cant wink [/b]
yes, you can....[/b]

I have been in a groups where 4x2 was present, and speed would be the only way 4x2 could take some obsticals, and speed in most of the cases offroad is not smart thing to do

well, that's what I meant..."moderate off-roading" (land terrain a 4x2 TRUCK can handle) - of course I would not take my 4x2 to "4x4" type of terrain....Remember Xterra's are a truck, not a car....an other words it's an Xterra not a Pinto...

#572480 - 16/04/03 08:44 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:
no you cant wink [/b]
yes, you can....[/b]

well, that's what I meant..."moderate off-roading" (land terrain a 4x2 TRUCK can handle) ...

At most that would be something like a fire road wink

#572481 - 16/04/03 09:23 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

Oooooh yeah...don't I love the Xterra...still kicking ass....

#572482 - 16/04/03 10:59 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

hey rickster...

its a loosing argument... regardless of whether your right or wrong there are many more people on here who think of a 2wd Xterra as a mini-van... so your out numbered... I have been arguing the same points as you since May of 2000... it never ends...

Well unless you go HERE

PS. OLEG has in the past at least been reasonable in his debate... more debate than out right bashing

#572483 - 16/04/03 11:26 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

I guess people have the right to speak out....Oh, well....I'm having fun with my Black X....that's all that matters....

#572484 - 16/04/03 12:29 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Olegkha Offline

Todrick
i am not realy bashing 4x2 ( atleast that was not my intent, if it did look like i was bashing, i am sorry )

but cmone, you can not realy say 4x2 can do moderate trails, speed is bad while you are offroading, and you would need alot of speed to get over ( bounce over ) some of the obsticals on moderate trail

i say if you geting off the fire road with 4x2 you are A: going to be speeding through obsticals B: be in need of a tow strap on every rock C: take all the bypasses D: slow every one down after you speed over something, and break down

if any 4x2 in North East of USA want to prove me wrong, please let me know, and we can play " follow the leader" wink
( just a friendly offer wink )

PS i DONT think 4x2 is a minivan, you look more like a station wagon wink ( joke ! )

#572485 - 16/04/03 12:55 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Rickster43 Offline

Can we all just get along and enjoy our Xterra's, for crying out loud....

#572486 - 16/04/03 02:56 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Todrick
i am not realy bashing 4x2
I know... i'm not gonna debate this issue with anyone, including you... its tired.

#572487 - 16/04/03 05:40 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
mattL Offline

hey guys thanks for all your aplies but im gonna have to prove u wrong about taking ur 2x4 in the mud that is all i do hear in AZ and i have not once gotten stuck and i have done some crazy stuff i have even gotten water in and i havent gotten stuck so that just proves that a 2x4 X can do alot of petty good thinks but i do have to agree about going throught rocks and boulders i dont think a 2x4 can pull that stuff off. But i bet it can do some. Thanks

Matt

#572488 - 16/04/03 05:56 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by mattL:
2x4 .... 2x4 ......... 2x4

A 2x4 is a measurment of wood. A 4x2 is a vehicle. In mud , you're screwed unless you're really moving quick in a 4x2. And the X doesn't really have the HP to go boggin' in 2wd. Stick to light trails and desert stuff and you'll be fine.

#572489 - 16/04/03 06:43 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

go you one better socal...

Quote:
Originally posted by mattL:
aplies
u
ur
2x4
alot
thinks
throught
Replies
You
Your
4x2
A lot
Things
Through

#572490 - 16/04/03 09:44 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:
quote:
no you cant wink [/b]
yes, you can....[/b]

well, that's what I meant..."moderate off-roading" (land terrain a 4x2 TRUCK can handle) ...

At most that would be something like a fire road wink

Hey this reminds me of the "quoting" thread...

Return of the snake! [Finger]

#572491 - 21/04/03 06:52 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Quote:

PS i DONT think 4x2 is a minivan, you look more like a station wagon wink ( joke ! )
laugh
I just think if you're gonna spend $20K on a truck, why not spend the extra couple grand for the 4x4...especially if you plan on letting it see some offroading action. Hey, even if you don't, it can be handy if it snows where you live.

If you live in the heart of the city, never plan to offroad, and plows will get you through the winter, fine! 4x2 it is. But why lift it, put MT's, skid plates, ARB's and stuff on there if they will never get any use.
:rolleyes:

Hey, to each his own, especially if you've got a money tree in the backyard! wink

DKX01

#572492 - 22/04/03 11:13 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
sometimes it's not an option to get a 4x4 (financial restrictions at the time of vehicle purchase) so they fix up their 4x2 to improve it's offroad performance.
yes, a 4x4 to start off with is ideal but it seems the assumption here is that 2wd's are only lifted for looks.
i personally know of a few 4x2's that're lifted, and yes they wheel often. can they handle everything a 4x4 can? no but they're pushing their limits in their own way.

#572493 - 23/04/03 08:29 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

---at risk of starting a huge fued again.... I wanted to point out a couple things here------

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
sometimes it's not an option to get a 4x4 (financial restrictions at the time of vehicle purchase) so they fix up their 4x2 to improve it's offroad performance.
absolutely right, aside from a 2k increase in initial cost of the vehicle here in CA insurance jumps by several hundred

Quote:
yes, a 4x4 to start off with is ideal
not always a 4x4 is not the ideal choice for a "desert runner" then again an SUV really isn't Ideal, so I guess its about even, but given they are both Xterras the 2wd is a better choice.
Quote:

but it seems the assumption here is that 2wd's are only lifted for looks.
i personally know of a few 4x2's that're lifted, and yes they wheel often. can they handle everything a 4x4 can? no but they're pushing their limits in their own way.
In 4x4 style trails no a 2wd will not do as well as a 4x4... that sems obvious... but ignore that, modifying any vehicle with a lift, larger tires a locker, skid plates, etc. will increase its performance abilities... who cares what the base line is...

At some point a 2wd Xterra lifted, locked, maybe revolver shackles... will have enough mods to go places a stock 4x4 Can not...

don't agree?

My truck is not modifed much at all... but at the Last westx i lead a run... one of the 4x4's in the group got hung up due to step rails, stock tires and picking the wrong line...

Driver has a lot to do with it...

All other things equal(mods, driver, etc.) the 4x4 has a huge advantage over the 2wd in 4x4 style trails... but anything you do to shift the scales will help narrow that gap

#572494 - 23/04/03 11:38 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
DKX01 Offline

I wasn't trying to talk smack about 4x2's. I just figured that if a person had the intent of taking thier vehicle offroad when they initially signed the documents, they would start out with a 4x4...that's all I'm sayin'. I've been enlightened.

When I purchased my X they didn't have any 4x4's on the lot either. I made them drive from Albany, NY to Plattsburgh (near the Canadian border) to get me the 4x4, and in the exact color I wanted (or they were'nt gettng my $$$, plain and simple).
Insurance increases, sorry, I didn't know about that, I'm past the "single young man" threshold, where they jack your insurance up for being young and single wink wink

DKX01

#572495 - 23/04/03 12:00 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by DKX01:
I wasn't trying to talk smack about 4x2's. I just figured that if a person had the intent of taking thier vehicle offroad when they initially signed the documents, they would start out with a 4x4...that's all I'm sayin'. I've been enlightened.
( re-post from a post I made a while ago back when we had REAL 4x vs 2wd arguments )

I think that this has a great deal with peer pressure. The good kind. I have to confess that I bought it because I wanted an Suv and the recomendations pointed me towards the X. I did all the research and bought the truck I wanted at a price I thought was right and got what I wanted. I'd never had the intention of doing anything with my truck other than hauling the fandamily arround and taking it on surf trips ect.

Then I came here. DAMNIT! Like others I saw pictures and heard stories and I wanted to have some experiences of my own . I wanted to make my own fun. So here I am. I've allready put way more in mods to make it the truck I want and I'm pretty sure I'm just getting started. I think that this is more the rule than the exception. I didn't know what it could do until I saw evidence of it here.

When I bought my X it fit every need I had . It just so happens that I am now doing more with my truck than I would have imagined.

#572496 - 23/04/03 12:28 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
DKX01 Offline

Amen! When I got mine, I thought the stock machine would be everything I wanted (Like the commercial- "Everyhting you need, nothing you don't")....Then I got on the web, met some guys, and started having my own adventures in the dirt.....that's all it took for the "mod bug" to bite. Now the aftermarket guys are starting to get worried if I don't call once a month [LOL]

DKX01

#572497 - 05/05/03 01:29 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Anyone remember some dumb a** hole name Jackel that used to take his 2WD X places no other 2WD would even dare. I no longer have our X. But with all the 2WD talk now about fire trails and such it makes me want to get another 2WD and start proving once again what the 2WD can do.

Todrick got your email but I think you gave us the wrong # I tried to call it and it was disconnected. email or PM me.

#572498 - 05/05/03 02:30 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
While at Moab I sheared the bolts holding on my locking hubs, so I had no front drivetrain. Rather than get it fixed for the last day of trails, me and another guy took the scenic tour through Arches. We could resist and took off down a mild 4x4 trail. He had a hard time keeping up with my lifted and locked "4x2" in his stock height, open diff 4x4. Driver skill does affect how much you can do, but mods will always help.

#572499 - 05/05/03 08:57 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel:
Anyone remember some dumb a** hole name Jackel that used to take his 2WD X places no other 2WD would even dare.
Yeah, I used to know that dickhead! wink And yes, he did some remarkeable stuff in that truck.

Congratulations by the way, how's married life treating you?

You COULD call me once in a while you know.

Take care of you and the family.

#572500 - 05/05/03 11:55 PM Re: 2wd lifted X
Todrick Offline

blast from the past... Jackel gonna have to come out with AZXC and do a run for old times sake... That is if i can convince the wife that its ok to let him drive my 4x2 laugh

#572501 - 21/05/03 10:04 AM Re: 2wd lifted X
jason31480 Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
Well, I bought my X in Palm Beach Nissan, FL. That time I was looking for a 4X4, but the damn dealer didn't have one. The lot had about 10 Xterras, but none of them was 4WD.
so anyway, I am with my 2WD X, but I still love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal