shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#553181 - 13/12/09 04:31 PM Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix?
05_X Offline

Loc: Gloucester, MA
Short Version:
So after a few new belts, a few new tensioners, that besky belt noise always returns after a few thousand miles on my 2005 X.

I know about the TSB's, I checked threads here and on other sites, all I find is people having the same problem, but no real solution that lasts.

Has anyone come up with a PERMANENT solution, other than a new belt with every oil change?

I've tried Nissan belts/tensioners, and the latest was after market belt/tensioner.

Cyclemut, as our resident master, do you have any words of wisdom?

Edited by 05_X (13/12/09 04:33 PM)

#553182 - 13/12/09 05:17 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: 05_X]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Loc: Denver, CO
Is your belt too tight? Try loosening it up a hair, see if it gets better. If it makes it worse, then tighten it up a bit tighter than you had it.

Also, look to see if the pulleys are shiny. If so, you might rough 'em up a bit with some fine grade sandpaper, give the belt something to bite into.

How's that hopey changey thing working for you?

#553183 - 14/12/09 07:51 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: Cyclemut]
05_X Offline

Thanks - I will check that out. I am beginning to wonder if it's not new belts that provide the temp fix, but the act of taking them off and putting them back on. When the belt is put back on, maybe it's at the right tightness but them something loosens up over time.

To test that, all I'd have to do is have the belt "changed" but put the old one back on.

Disclaimer - I haven't actually changed the belts myself. The dealership and a trusted local mechanic have both checked out the problem, and I have provided print outs of TSB's etc. A long time ago I determined I should stick to computers and leave cars to the professional mechanics - lol.

That said, I've checked out the service manual (downloaded way back when) and might have a go at it myself.

According the service manual, the belt doesn't get tightened and loosened, that's handled automatically by the autotensioner, so I'm a little confused. I'm guessing I rotate/swing the tensioner to control that maybe? (I'm looking at one of my old tensioners right now, so I have a prop to go by)

Edited by 05_X (14/12/09 09:17 AM)

#553184 - 14/12/09 06:16 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: 05_X]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Um, they don't swing and they don't automatically tension themselves. You have to tension them.

And belts do loosen a bit over time. Heat and tension does that. Retensioning them is very common.

#553185 - 15/12/09 05:07 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: Cyclemut]
05_X Offline

So, how do you retension it?
Maybe that (I think) 3/8" square socket fitting on the tensioner?

The service manual says:

Tension Adjustment
Belt tensioning is not necessary, as it is automatically adjusted by the drive belt auto-tensioner.

Sounds like there might be a little tip they ommitted...

Thanks for your help!

Edited by 05_X (15/12/09 05:08 AM)

#553186 - 15/12/09 07:25 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: 05_X]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

You know what, you're right!

I didn't pay attention to your 'actual' name, saying you have an '05 X.

I was stuck on the '00-'04 models.

You do have automatic tensioners.

In which case, the back of the belt is probably glazing, causing the noise. You might have a pulley that needs to be roughed up a bit.

#553187 - 17/12/09 05:31 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: Cyclemut]
RiNkY Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The common cause for Belt Squeak in the 2nd Gen is an alignment issue with the pulleys, which stretches the belt and causes the squeak. There is a service bulletin about it somewhere. Mine went back to the dealer twice before they finally aligned the AC Compressor, which I believe was the cause. Not an issue for the last 20k miles ever since.
http://www.facebook.com/rholgate

#553188 - 18/12/09 04:08 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: RiNkY]
05_X Offline

One of the TSB's called for checking alignment of the power steering pulley (if I remember right). The mechanic checked the pulley per the TSB and said it was fine. When it went back the next time, he checked it again (total 3 times - dealer twice, local mech once). I don't recall it being the AC compressor though - maybe I should just have 'em all checked (along with the sanding thing Cyclemut mentions).

Edit - Rinky: was yours really the AC compressor pulley? I just checked the TSB, and the version I have specifies the power steering one (NTB06-72A 4/18/2008)

Edited by 05_X (18/12/09 04:27 PM)

#553189 - 19/12/09 08:17 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: 05_X]
05_X Offline

What's the deal with belt dressing anyway?
One time the dealer tried "fixing" it by using that stuff.
Of course, that worked for a short time then the noise came back.
I told my local mechanic this as I gave him the history, and he said that stuff was a no-no.

So what's the deal? If hitting it with some spray every few months bandaids it without causing problems, maybe I should just do that?
Or is that stuff not good as the local guy says?

#553190 - 25/12/09 05:12 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: 05_X]
RiNkY Offline

Mine was years ago - I just know it was a pulley of somesort, so it was probably the Power Steering pulley as you suggested and not the AC Pulley.

#553191 - 25/12/09 05:15 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: RiNkY]
RiNkY Offline

The way I see it there's 2 reasons a belt would make noise, with a few different causes for each:

1. It's out of alignment - rubbing on the side of a pulley, and/or stretching and slipping.

2. It's slipping - Old belt / Stretched belt / Not tensioned.

#553192 - 27/12/09 08:57 AM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: RiNkY]
Dirty-J Offline

Loc: Goeriga
When my first belt started squeaking I used the belt dressing found at your typical auto parts store and it never squeaked again.

#572865 - 19/05/10 09:23 PM Re: Belt Noise - Is there a permanent fix? [Re: Dirty-J]
05_X Offline

Well, the mystery may be solved.

My local mechanic took a closer look and said there are nicks in some of the pulleys - looks like some rocks or something got kicked up in there and damaged the pulleys. The belts are actually getting worn prematurely as a result.

He said I'd have to check with the dealer if I want the pulleys replaced, and seemed to indicate it might be rather expensive.

In the mean time, they replaced the belt under warranty again for about the 3rd or 4th time. It kinda surprises me that they keep changing the belt for no charge even though it's obviously not a problem with their work/materials. I guess they are being nice as I'm a regular customer.. Hell, as long as they keep doing that I'll give them all my business.

So - guess I'll just replace the belt at every oil change or two.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal