shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57346 - 24/01/01 09:47 PM Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I just finished installing two Yakima Steel Head Fork Mounts with the X-towers. I installed everything using straydogs idea for a lower profile install. It looks great. My bikes are easy to load and they are totally secure.

The information for the install can be obtained from straydawg.com/apehgr.html

Thanks to straydog for the idea and posting the pics for all of us who seek fork mounted racks.

------------------
'00 Cloud White SE, 5SPD, 4x4

#57347 - 25/01/01 07:21 PM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
JonX Offline

Loc: Oak Park, IL
I have to say that is great!!!!!

I have a YAK LoadWarrior basket on top (with the two bike mounts on top of that) and ya need a ladder to get the bikes up there!!, but I went with the basket because it wasn't any shorter then the X towers and rail!
but this is a great idea! I would like to see some better pics, and am also wondering if front and rear are both mounted underneath, is there any clearance probs with rear hatch? or is it far enough towards the front? Also what length bars did you use?

------------------

#57348 - 25/01/01 11:49 PM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
Snoopy Offline

Here’s a picture of the install: MyXSnoopy
I’ll have to take some close-up pictures of my rack. Basically the front is exactly like straydawgs but I mounted the back underneath like the front. He keeps his high so the front tire carrier he uses will clear the rear hatch (I just put the front wheels in the back of the X). The install on mine allows me to park in my garage because the racks don’t extend any higher than the factory rack. I’m planning on adding Yakima’s gear basket, which takes up the whole top of the factory rack with only a two-inch addition in height. This install allows me to carry stuff in the Yakima gear basket and still have room for the two bikes. It’s low profile also ensures my X doesn’t look to top heavy.
The front X-towers install just aft of the center post on the factory rack. You can still use the front basket and there are no clearence problems in the rear. The doors also clear the fork mounted locking mechanisms just fine. I used a pair of 58" cross bars and then cut them so that they are flush with the bike mounts when the end caps are installed.

------------------

#57349 - 29/01/01 05:17 PM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
Snoopy Offline

I've posted more info on this topic under the "Mountain Biking" section of the forum. I've also included pictures.

------------------

#57350 - 21/02/01 08:34 PM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
snowking Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
I'm very interested in installing a bike rack on our X. I tried to follow the suggestions here, but got lsot in the jargon (I'm not technically oriented). Could one of you fine people please explain what is the minimum hardware I need to mount my mountain bike on the roof? I like the idea of keeping a low profile, but only if it's going to be simple for me to comprehend. thanks a bunch in advance.

------------------
'00 Silver Ice, XE 4X4

#57351 - 21/02/01 09:31 PM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
go back to straydawgs site.. its pretty easy for the apehangers. Great set up if you need the extra space on top.
I've got the simple method going.. steelhead's with mightymounts and one shortened yak. crossbar. No second rack, everything mounts to the existing crossbars. I think it will make more sense once you have the parts in front of you. I've got a few pics of it on my site as well.

------------------
member of http://www.soxc.org
http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk

#57352 - 24/02/01 07:49 AM Re: Yakima Fork Mount Bike Racks
jbgeis Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Hey Snoopy, Where did you get the "OFFROAD" stickers on the passanger/driver doors, under the door molding. What a great idea!!!
jbgeis@aol.com

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal