2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#573572 - 22/10/06 07:53 AM Noob has questions!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey there everyone,

My name is Tyler, and I joined because ever since the XTerra's came out, our family has wanted one, so now that I've started driving (In HIghschool) my mom would like to replace her Accord which was given to me.

I only have one concern really and that's long term reliability. I know I'm not buying a Honda/Acura Product so I'm not looking for soft high quality plastics galore or anything, we just want something that will run for a very long time. With little issue hopefully. I've only heard bad about the new Pathfinders, and the Muranos, but hopefully since the XTerra is on an older platform most of those issues need not apply? I'm not sure if we want new or used. I assume if we go new it'd be in december when all the deals come out on leases and financing, but all in all we just need a 2WD, AT, V6 Model (differences in the engine between the years anyone?), fully loaded. So tell me common issues you may know of or have experienced, and if you'd buy another one again and why. (looking for comments if you'd buy another from those who've owned for 2+ years please).

Thanks Everyone,
Tyler

#573573 - 22/10/06 08:53 PM Re: Noob has questions!
Anonymous
Unregistered

1st Generation X ended in 2004. The New Gen X started in 05.
1st Gen have less power, slightly smaller, good torque, good off road and on road, have a VG33 6 cylinder engine 0r a basic KA24 4 cylinder available. Stay with the 6. Also a Super Charger is available, but you need to use premium gas for that.
1st Gen have been around for a bit and have most if not all the kinks worked out.
2nd Gen have a bit bigger engine and more HP. It is a little chunkier that the 1st Gens IMO.
BEFORE you buy..DRIVE BOTH. Take them out on the highway and streets to see which fits your needs better. Search the board to answer all your questions. There is a next Gen X post also. Understand that gas mileage is not great because it is a truck. Don't expect 25-30 MPG. Read some posts so you understand. Both Gens are great vehicles. Congrats on your purchase if you decide to get one !!! cool

#573574 - 23/10/06 04:21 AM Re: Noob has questions!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Well, I'd get the 4wd not the 2wd...

both for the winter traction, and how well it will hold its resale value...the 2wd models drop in value much faster...

but, mostly because getting a 2wd essentially makes the X a 4,000 commuter car instead of a truck, so that you have all the disadvantages of a truck, and none of the advantages of a car.

If you get the 4wd, at least you got ONE advantage you could, and will also have the option of going off road in it in the future, should you become curious later, as well as the added safety and security of 4wd when the weather threatens.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#573575 - 25/10/06 09:35 PM Re: Noob has questions!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ive had both models, 03 X4x4 and 05 OR4x4 and while I love em both, the 05 is better for my needs. Nicer manners on the road and off. My 05 has VDC and locking diff and really can't get stuck unless you're stupid. Its a lot more powerful than even the supercharged 04, so my mind is made up... go new gen. I will say that I do like the body style of the old gen a bit better, but small price to pay for all the amenities. As far as any issues, none with either. Good luck choosing!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal