shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#576464 - 30/11/07 06:04 AM Aftermarket Differential Locking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there,

I am new to the Xterra club. I have an Xterra S 4x4 but I wonder if I can get an aftermarket differential locker installed on my truck. I was stuck once in deep mud and had to be towed by a tractor!

I believe the locker will make the difference because an open differential always sends most power to the spinning wheel even in a 4x4 low mode.

Please share some info about that with me. I appreciate it!

CJ

#576465 - 30/11/07 11:10 AM Re: Aftermarket Differential Locking
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
You're new alright.

What are the odds this has already been discussed, numerous times even, and there were a way to review previous discussions on the topic or even search for them?

The only locking diff is the factory one so far. Should have bought the Off-Road model instead. Now you're stuck with your short-sightedness.
It does appear that ARB is developing a locker for the M226 (D44 type) rear though.
If you have the C200 rear axle, there's a chance an ARB could work in it, but I haven't heard of anyone doing so.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#576466 - 30/11/07 06:50 PM Re: Aftermarket Differential Locking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
You're new alright.

What are the odds this has already been discussed, numerous times even, and there were a way to review previous discussions on the topic or even search for them?

The only locking diff is the factory one so far. Should have bought the Off-Road model instead. Now you're stuck with your short-sightedness.
It does appear that ARB is developing a locker for the M226 (D44 type) rear though.
If you have the C200 rear axle, there's a chance an ARB could work in it, but I haven't heard of anyone doing so.
Nice...
Flame him his first time at bat..

CJ.. there's a search function on the board that should give you a good selection of responses to choose from. Brent (OffroadX) has a point that it might have helped you before posting, but I'm like you that it sometimes can't hurt to just ask - just in case.

Anyway. that said, let us know more about what you own and what you're wanting to do. There are a ton of people on this board that are more than happy to help you out and will do so without busting your balls in the process.

#576467 - 01/12/07 12:43 PM Re: Aftermarket Differential Locking
Anonymous
Unregistered

The stock D44 is worthless, and the stock locker explodes under mild use, so that would be no help. A Eaton Tru Trac limited slip can be used until an ARB is available some day. Not a locker, but a quality non-exploding traction aid.

#576468 - 02/12/07 07:04 AM Re: Aftermarket Differential Locking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello guys,

Thanks so much for your feedback on the aftermarket locker. Looks like I have to make do without.

My X truck comes with 4x4 high and 4x4 low with Vehicle Dynamic Control (I believe it also helps reduce the speed of the spinning wheel by applying brake, but not as effective as limited slip in boosting traction on the non-spinning wheel). Since my main offroad driving will involve playing in the mud and driving across snow covered or otherwise frozen fields, maybe an aftermarket limited slip may help.

In addition, I am looking for some company wheeling in the mud or some deep snow covered roads in Canton/Parishville area in upstate NY. Please let me know if interested.

Thanks again, guys!

CJ

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal