shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#577943 - 14/12/06 10:39 AM xterra purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Xterra members: I cam currently deciding on purchasing a 2000 Xterra XE with 150K for my daughter's first car, The lady selling it is asking 6800 for it and she got it down to 65000. The Xterra is in mint condition both inside and out, the engine compartment both from the top and in the undercarriage looks clean with no leaks, and it tests drive very good. However the fact that it has 150K is making me skeptical with this purchase. The seller has no maintenance records but she claims that the truck has been properly maintained (looks like it) plus the price is preety good since Xterras here in the LA area are at around 8K for even a high mileage one.
How much life can I expect from this V6 Xterra with 150K before a major overhaul? Is the 3.3 engine in the Xterras easy to work with as in being able to change the plugs and wires myself? Any high mileage forum members out there want to comment on this possible purchase I have to decide on today? Thanks in advance

#577944 - 14/12/06 07:17 PM Re: xterra purchase
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Welcome

The Xterras are pretty reliable even up around 150k. I would check on the timing belt that is sopposed to be replaced at 105k miles. If it breaks, you may bust up the valves and need a couple grand in repairs. You also want to check on the exhaust manifolds as they were known to crack, and the rear seal as some have had it leak. Those are the most expensive items that may be possible.

5 of the 6 plugs are easy, the sixth will usually take a little while to get to as it's tucked down by the firewall where you can't see. You'll find instructions if you search.

If those items are all fine, you should have a great vehicle.

#577945 - 14/12/06 07:22 PM Re: xterra purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got 120k and no complaints aside from a weird squeek when im rolling forward between 0 and 20 and a cracked manifold, not very big problems.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal