shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57861 - 14/08/03 12:45 PM "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Hey guys:

I searched, but couldn't find anything too useful.

What do you think of a come-a-long to use as a recovery device. I don't have anything right now and don't feel easy about attemping challenging trails for fear of getting stuck.

I have heard that most come-a-longs are too weak, able to pull only 2000 - 4000 lbs or so. Some have commented they are also dangerous, with the operator so close to it.

While searching for the biggest and strongest come-a-long at a local tools store (KMS), I saw a few 4 ton rated ones, I guess 8000 lbs. But they still have the operator too close. Then the salesman recommended that I take a look at a used, so called industrial come-a-long.

Basically, it was a really large one, and instead of the usual ratcheting handle, you use a piece of pipe, which can be any length you prefere. The cable is also much thicker, pretty much the same as winches. He told me it'll pull 10 tons with ease. It's pretty cheap, $35. It's old, but after a sandblast and some fresh rust paint, it'll look like new.

What do you think about it? should I avoid anything with a ratchet system? Are they reliable during trail use? can they really pull you out? The store also sells 48 inch farm jacks (a lowtech high-lift pretty much) for $30. They can pull 6000, but I've got no use for it otherwise since I have stock bumpers and no hitch.

Thanks

#57862 - 14/08/03 01:37 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The More Power Puller is the only one I know of that is marketed for SUV/offroad use:
www.morepowerpuller.com

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#57863 - 14/08/03 03:29 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
RJ Offline

sort of, kind of disappointed at its rating though. Can't even reach the X's GVW 's 1.5 times without doubling, which then hurts the pulling range. Oh well, thanks Brent. Atleast the one I saw is worth the price.

#57864 - 16/08/03 08:11 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've used the "cheapie" style come-along several times without difficulty. I'm not a hardcore offroader so this suits my needs well. Most of my 4x4 travel is on minimum maintenance roads when I'm out hunting.

In my limited experience there seems to be something about the speed at which it pulls the stuck vehicle out that makes it effective. We were able to slowly pull a truck out of the muck that we hadn't been able to budge with two trucks pulling in tandem.

I agree that standing next to it can be hazardous so you have to be careful. I carry a couple of tow straps so I can run one from the truck to the winch and the other from the other end of the winch to a tree or some other suitable object to make the pull.

I'm not sure this is the best way to go, but it's worked for me a couple of times. The other advantage is that it's relatively small and light so I can throw the hardcase I use to carry extra coolant, oil, tie-downs, tools, tow straps, come-along, and other stuff in my pickup ('93 Nissan kingcab 4x4 thank you very much) when I take it instead.

#57865 - 16/08/03 04:23 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
I replaced the steel wire on my More Power puller with a 35' foot rope from Master-Pull. The rope does not recoil (so I am told) when it breaks.

Also makes the puller weigh less.

The puller is rated as a 2 ton dead lift which means it should drag 5000(+) lbs.

Toy Man

#57866 - 17/08/03 09:50 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
OffroadX Offline

You definitely don't want to use one of these in combination with any strap that can stretch (like your typical recovery strap!) because if something snaps, that strap will send whatever is attached to it flying. A dead-lift sling-type strap might be suitable if necessary.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#57867 - 17/08/03 11:42 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Brents right, not only does it have a chance to fling your come-a-long if something snaps, the strap will stretch a few feet before the vehicle budges so instead of the 10ft length of the come-a-long you only have 7-8ft before you have to re rig the line to pull again.

I use two 20ft chains when I use my Hi-Lift to pull me out. If something breaks the chains are so heavy they just fall to the ground. Plus they don't stretch so I can use the full 4ft of the hi-lift before I have to re-rig the chains to pull another 4ft.

Xterra101.com

#57868 - 17/08/03 01:33 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
RJ Offline

Hey Kerensky97,

Glad to see someone using a high-lift. So how do you rate the effectiveness of your jack? Is it a better buy than a come-a-long? safer? I realize that it lacks in pulling range, but will make up for it once I get an aftermarket bumper and can use it to jack up the vehicle.

#57869 - 17/08/03 02:58 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hadn't thought about the stretch of the recovery straps being a problem but I see what you mean. Another seemingly good idea down the drain...

#57870 - 19/08/03 11:36 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
I have a Scott Wyeth Power puller that was made in the 60's! Belonged to my father. It was called a Red Devil. I have 5/16" cable on it and with a snatch block have no trouble pulling the X or my FJ40. However if you want to use a hi-lift without the problem of constant re-rigging then check out this site: Read the whole thing before jumping to the conclusion this is just another "How to use a hi-lift as a winch" article!

http://www.jonathan.gwyer.btinternet.co.uk/landy/hilift/winch.html
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#57871 - 19/08/03 03:52 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by coolerman:
I have a Scott Wyeth Power puller that was made in the 60's! Belonged to my father. It was called a Red Devil. I have 5/16" cable on it and with a snatch block have no trouble pulling the X or my FJ40. However if you want to use a hi-lift without the problem of constant re-rigging then check out this site: Read the whole thing before jumping to the conclusion this is just another "How to use a hi-lift as a winch" article!

http://www.jonathan.gwyer.btinternet.co.uk/landy/hilift/winch.html
I may be retarded on this issue, but I have no idea what that article was trying to tell me... confused

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#57872 - 19/08/03 05:03 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Toy Man Offline

Great article for using the High Lift.

The use of the second chain to hold while repositioning the jack is a great idea.

Toy Man

#57873 - 09/09/03 07:29 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Toy Man, I had the same plan... power puller with rope instead of cable. I'd hate to be standing next to that thing if a wire cable broke. Did you have any problems switching out the stock wire cable? If you don't mind, do you remember how much the whole setup cost and who you purchased it through? I'm wondering if there is a better deal on the rope out there than what I've seen...($150 or so for the rope, which is sold in lengths too long for the reel).

Thanks!

#57874 - 10/09/03 03:32 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Toy Man Offline

Quote:
Toy Man, I had the same plan... power puller with rope instead of cable. I'd hate to be standing next to that thing if a wire cable broke. Did you have any problems switching out the stock wire cable? If you don't mind, do you remember how much the whole setup cost and who you purchased it through?
I ordered it thru Master-Pull. 35' foot of rope with a standard winch connector and a thimble on the other. It took a fair amount of grinding on the winch connector to reduce it's size so it would pass thru the pullers guide/throat to be able to attach it to the drum. Seems like I had to figure out a thin head bolt to use for attaching the line.

Works fine and does reduce the weight.

$80. I think it also came with a fancy hook.
This was a year ago.

Toy Man

#57875 - 10/09/03 07:08 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
OffroadX Offline

There's also the Black Rat recovery winch:
http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/eopwinch/

Brent

#57876 - 10/09/03 09:33 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
There's also the Black Rat recovery winch:
http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/eopwinch/

Brent
Yep. smile

Extreme Outback Products

#57877 - 10/09/03 10:11 AM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info Toy Man; sounds like the switch wasn't too bad (although not as easy as I'd hoped). The Black Rat seems like a nice setup too, especially the unlimited line length. I'll have to spend a little more time looking into these.

Thanks!

#57878 - 10/09/03 12:13 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
BIBXTERRA Offline

The black rat manual winch is a good product. And this unit can also lift physical objects vertically as well(Thats why it is actually called a hoist and not a winch). Several other manufacturers also make this type of winch, Tractel(Known as Griphoist, Turfor) and Jet Equipment.

I have the Jet Equipment hoist with 100Ft of wire rope and it appears to be a capable unit. Its rated with with the same specs as the Black Rat item. I'll be doing a live test with it within a few weeks so I'll keep you posted on the results.

Cheers,

#57879 - 10/09/03 12:49 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
Robert C. Offline

Loc: Alabama
A word of warning:

The link that coolerman listed has the winching chain attached to the hole on the lifting lip. Hi-Lift says never use that hole for that purpose. It's actually there to keep a chain or bracket from slipping off of the lifting lip. Using the hole as a mounting point can cause the metal to tear under extreme pressure or otherwise weaken the lip, rendering it inoperable after a while.

#57880 - 29/09/03 07:27 PM Re: "Industrial" Come-a-Long???
BIBXTERRA Offline

Well I tested it out and it passed with flying colours!! The Jet Wire puller pulled my Xterra up an embankment with surprising little effort! My recovery gear came in handy that day. I do recommend the Black Rat or similar devices. They are a good investment.

Cheers,

[Wave]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal