Hello, everyone! I'm on my second Xterra and I just found this forum. I've already picked up some useful information, so "thanks" to whomever is in charge.

I have a quick backstory that leads to a question: my first Xterra was a 2000 model, and I bought it 5 years ago. It was loaded, and I really enjoyed it. Last summer, my family bought a pop-up camper and the Xterra handled it with no problems.

Over the winter, we decided to upgrade to a nice travel trailer. I did my research carefully, and found that there were many "ultralight" models which weighed in well under my Xterra's stated 5000 pound tow limit. We settled on an awesome Gulfstream that featured everything we wanted and weighed 3400 pounds. That left plenty of pad for the Xterra - or so I thought.

Once we signed the papers and got a tow package installed, we towed our camper home...just barely. The Xterra struggled to make it up hills or even steep inclines. I did get it home - then I parked the thing in my driveway and worried.

I did MORE research, and learned just how little horsepower my Xterra really had (170hp - IF it's running the way it's supposed to). I knew I was going to have to trade vehicles, which broke my heart since the Xterra is the only vehicle I really wanted. My answer came when I learned about the MASSIVE horsepower increase that came about in 2005 (265hp, compared to my 170hp). I also found at least two different people on the web who are pulling comparable travel trailers with an '05. They say it has plenty of power and handles great.

I checked with my local Nissan dealer, who happened to have a loaded low-mileage '05 with factory tow package. I negotiated a good trade and now I'm on my second Xterra.

Our first big road trip with the '05 and the camper is two weeks away. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience towing with an '05 or newer Xterra?

Either way, I'm LOVING the '05. Of course, the handling is tight and responsive, although that's partially because it's a relatively new vehicle. However, that extra power is really something! It's fun to hit the gas and actually be pushed back in your seat. Reminds me (loosely) of being a kid and riding in my dad's hot rod.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for any info. Hopefully as a 2x owner I have some knowledge to contribute to the forum as well.