shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#590043 - 12/11/06 10:46 AM Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I got my 7.1Mp Canon Powershot G6, what I really wanted was the 8Mp Digital Rebel. After looking at SLRs today I now see that Canon offer the 10Mpixel XTI models.

Anyone had any experience with this camera? My G6 is awesome, but I really want to trade up for the XTI, while I can still get $350+ for my mint G6 on Ebay.

#590044 - 12/11/06 11:08 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
OrganDonor Offline

Loc: Round Rock, TX
I JUST did what you are considering, except I went with the Nikon D80. It is what I have always been looking for.
I had the Canon G6, and sold it last week on ebay for $400, BIN. It was only on there for about 2 hours before someone hit BIN.
What I have always wanted in a digital is the faster response time and shutter speeds of the dslr. The D80 isn't a lot bigger than what the g6 was, but has a lot more capability.
Good luck!
ReecerX

#590045 - 12/11/06 11:10 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome, I was reading reviews on CNET etc. and they also reccomend the Nikon. I will have to have a serious look at that one too.

With a Lens tho the D80 is a little beyond my $1000 budget.

#590046 - 12/11/06 11:14 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Happy Birthday xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I just got the Nikon D50 and it's a great starter D-SLR. Check pricewatch.com for price comparisons.
With a 2GB high speed card and a bag, I was out the door for just over $900.

#590047 - 12/11/06 11:39 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

dpreview.com has some pretty good reviews too, for anyone else out there that might be shopping for a digital camera.

Might opt for the 8MP Digital Rebel. I can pick up the 8MP Digital Rebel for $570 (Body only). Then get 2 reasonable lenses and still be in under $1000.

#590048 - 12/11/06 12:17 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Don't cheap on your lenses. That's my recommendation to you. Get the best lens you can. The cameras will always drop fast in price, but a good lens is like a porsche. They simply don't drop in value until they are very abused, and then they are considered "classic". Cheap lenses may never make it to the point where you want to sell them. I had a Sigma zoom lens that the zoom unscrewed inside the camera. It was held on by a piece of transparent tape. While I have had an old push pull 80-200 2.8 zoom lens that is so heavy the lens mount wore out to the point where it wouldn't keep good contact with the camera, sent it in, and they replaced the lens mount and it'll be good as new soon. It's over 10 years old, and it's probably taken 30,000 photos.

Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.

#590049 - 12/11/06 01:48 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
Don't cheap on your lenses. That's my recommendation to you. Get the best lens you can. The cameras will always drop fast in price, but a good lens is like a porsche. They simply don't drop in value until they are very abused, and then they are considered "classic". Cheap lenses may never make it to the point where you want to sell them. I had a Sigma zoom lens that the zoom unscrewed inside the camera. It was held on by a piece of transparent tape. While I have had an old push pull 80-200 2.8 zoom lens that is so heavy the lens mount wore out to the point where it wouldn't keep good contact with the camera, sent it in, and they replaced the lens mount and it'll be good as new soon. It's over 10 years old, and it's probably taken 30,000 photos.

Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
x2

The lens makes the shot.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590050 - 12/11/06 02:09 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
x3 on Matt's comments...

I bought the XTi as a second dSLR (backup to my 30d)... It's a nice camera with some "punch" to it... What I like, of course, is that my lenses can be used on my 30d onto the XTi...

It's a great camera (backup or otherwise)... For a beginner, it's got enough features to get your palette wet... Of course it may not be comparable with the Nikon D80 (pro-consumer level), it is an overall great entry-to-mid level dSLR... The Nikon D50 is more in lines of comparison to the Rebel XTi (400D)...

Nonetheless, I re-iterate what Matt said... Don't go skimpy on cheap glass... You won't regret it in the long run... Good luck with you decision!!

- Air B [Smoking]

PS. Here's a few shot I took with the XTi

Downtown Los Angeles Skyline:

Hotel Coronado in San Diego:

Tiki Torch:

Halloween pumpkins:

#590051 - 12/11/06 02:17 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lovely pics AirB. Now I want the XTI AND a nice lense! lol. Dammit, this is gonna get more expensive.

#590052 - 12/11/06 02:39 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.

#590053 - 12/11/06 03:25 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.
Hhehehehehe... I'm on that site with the same username (airbutchie)... Great site for info and such... Check it out Rinky... Any other XOC members there?

- Air B laugh

#590054 - 12/11/06 03:41 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Lovely pics AirB. Now I want the XTI AND a nice lense! lol. Dammit, this is gonna get more expensive.
Thanks Rinky... FWIW, the last two shots were taken with a $70 prime lens (Canon 50mm f/1.8 II)... Great little lens and cheap too... I'd recommend picking one up if you decide to get the XTi... Well worth it $$$...

The first two shots were taken with my Tokina 12-24mm UWA (ultra-wide angle) lens... That lens put some serious hurt on my wallet at $500... But the pictures they deliver is absolutely breathtaking... In addition, I just purchased a Canon 70-200mm f/4L zoom lens ($560)... It should come sometime this week... Damn my wallet feels really light now... Anyhoo, it's gonna replace my old Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens that I've had since my Canon Rebel Ti film SLR... The Quantaray has done fantastic work for me, but needs to be retired for better glass...

Again, try not to skimp on cheap glass (lens)... Of course, with the exception of the $70 Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens... Hehhehehhe... Enjoy the hobby like I do...

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

#590055 - 12/11/06 05:48 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

And in case you're wondering what that same Tokina 12-24 does with a Nikon (this is with a D100):

"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590056 - 12/11/06 06:47 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Magnificent shots there Moby... Absolutely gorgeous!!!

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

#590057 - 12/11/06 07:10 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Thanks.

I love the pumpkin shot. The LA one is pretty damn nice, too. Where'd you take that? I'm itching to get back to LA, now that Griffith is open again.

#590058 - 12/11/06 07:13 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Quote:
[b]Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.
Hhehehehehe... I'm on that site with the same username (airbutchie)... Great site for info and such... Check it out Rinky... Any other XOC members there?

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink

#590059 - 12/11/06 08:10 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Thanks.

I love the pumpkin shot. The LA one is pretty damn nice, too. Where'd you take that? I'm itching to get back to LA, now that Griffith is open again.
Thanks for the comments Moby...

The LA shot was taken a few weeks ago from my buddy's balcony... He lives above Chinatown near downtown LA... BTW, that picture was taken without a tripod... I was surprised that it didn't come out blurry...

I, too, want to checkout the newly re-designed Griffith Observatory... Ya gotta have reservations to get up there... You can't drive up like before... They bus you in... I think it'll be like that until the public visitation demand drops off (hopefully by next summer)...

This guy has recently gone and took a few shots with his camera equipment... Linky: Tom Yi\'s Griffith Observatory Pics

- Air B

edit: Whadda think of having a Photography Forum here in XOC? I think there would be some interest in it... But that's just me, though...

#590060 - 12/11/06 08:12 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink [/b]
I hear ya... I'm doing more reading than posting myself... Like XOC, it's a great site for photography buffs (noobs, amatuers, experienced, & professional) like us... Good to see that I'm not alone in there... Hehhehehhee... See ya on that board!!!

- Air B

#590061 - 12/11/06 10:54 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
If it were me, I'd look for an outgoing Rebel XT for a good price. Take the savings and invest in glass as others have mentioned. Trust me, you won't miss the extra 2 megapixels.

I've got an original Rebel (6 MP) and it produces outstanding prints, even at 11 x 14". Glass is key.

Also, don't be too quick to poo-poo the 18-55mm kit lens. It is usually put down by most folks as cheap (and really, it is to some degree), but I've taken some really awesome shots with the lens.

My all-time favorite lens (alas, I had to sell mine) from Canon, from a price/performance ratio, is the 70-200mm f/4L. Awesome glass that you can usually find used for around $500.

#590062 - 13/11/06 06:50 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeaa Xorand, I am considering just that option. However it's my birthday in March, so maybe the XTI with the 18-55mm lense that comes with the kit will work until I get something a little nicer for my birthday.

My 7.1 megapixel G6 takes outstanding shots at any size, so I hear what you are saying about the 8 megapixel / 10 megapixel difference. But I'm guessing the XTI is going to phase out the XT eventually, so it would be nice to have the newer piece of kit.

#590063 - 13/11/06 07:39 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Yup, the XTi is the successor/replacement for the XT. If I were in the same scenario, I'd tend to get the XTi and get some quality glass later on rather than picking up an XT for a discount and buying the glass now.

The bodies, as mentioned earlier in the thread, tend to depreciate over time, but glass holds its value.

Only reason I picked up my DRebel instead of the XT when I purchased is because the XT (and the XTi) have much smaller bodies than the original Rebel. The XT just didn't feel substantial enough in my hands. Matter of fact, I've since added a battery grip to the Rebel, so it's even bigger now. Tends to make it a bit bulky and inconvenient at times, though.

#590064 - 13/11/06 09:59 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink [/b]
I hear ya... I'm doing more reading than posting myself... Like XOC, it's a great site for photography buffs (noobs, amatuers, experienced, & professional) like us... Good to see that I'm not alone in there... Hehhehehhee... See ya on that board!!!

- Air B

I like the glamour & nude section. :p

We need to start posting up X pics on there. wink

#590065 - 13/11/06 11:18 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

I like the glamour & nude section. :p

We need to start posting up X pics on there. wink

Definately liked the G&N section... Hhehehehhe... To be honest, I was drawn more to the composition and lighting effects than the nakedness of the ladies... Go figure!!

As for putting up a few "landscape" shots with the X, I'm all for it... I'll see what I can dig up... If I find anything, i'll post it up ASAP... Hehhehehhe...

- Air B [Smoking]

#590066 - 13/11/06 12:43 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
EnzoXterra Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, US
I just went through the same dilemma, $1000 budget, wanting just one lense (for now) but with longer reach than the 18-55mm kit lense. I end up getting the D50 body, the new Nikon 18-135mm kit lense that came out with the D80, extra battery, and a camera bag for just under $1000. Now I just have to learn how to use all these new toys.

#590067 - 13/11/06 02:15 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
I'm looking at the Xti and D80 as well. I went and held both of them and I have small hands to begin with and to me the rebel felt tiny. I couldn't wrap all my fingers around it. I've heard adding the battery grip helps alot with this but no one seems to have both in stock. From what I've seen the Xti takes a little bit sharper pics but so far I'm leaning towards the D80 as it felt nice in my hand and it offers a few nice goodies like spot metering that the Xti doesn't.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal