2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#590118 - 18/11/06 07:28 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
[b]Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
x2

The lens makes the shot.[/b]
No, the photographer makes the shot. wink [/b]
And a good lens makes that shot better (quality-wise). wink

I've seen some pretty crummy shots from an aesthetic or compositional perspective taken from $4k camera bodies with $5k lenses. I've also seen some stunning photos taken with 3MP point-and-shoot cameras. However, when it comes to the technical quality of the images, the former wins in almost every case.

#590119 - 18/11/06 10:53 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
x2

I've seen some pretty crummy shots from an aesthetic or compositional perspective taken from $4k camera bodies with $5k lenses. I've also seen some stunning photos taken with 3MP point-and-shoot cameras. However, when it comes to the technical quality of the images, the former wins in almost every case.

Yeah, you're right, but I wanted to rant about all the people who see a great shot and immediately ask, "What kind of camera do you use?" Like it composed the shot itself or something. laugh

#590120 - 18/11/06 11:59 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, but I wanted to rant about all the people who see a great shot and immediately ask, "What kind of camera do you use?" Like it composed the shot itself or something. laugh
I knew that. laugh

I used to get that a lot even when I was using my old HP 4MP p/s camera.

Example:

#590121 - 18/11/06 12:52 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:
Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
x2

Oh, I don't disagree with that.

But a Nikon lens is going to give a much better picture than a Quantaray.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590122 - 18/11/06 12:54 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:

As for microdrives, IMHO, I wouldn't take that route... To many moving parts in there which increases "wear-and-tear" on it... On top of which, they don't write as fast (when shooting in "burst" mode) as a highspeed CF card... Just stick with the CF cards... I purchased two Transcend 8GB 120x CF cards from Fry's @ $139/each... If you don't have a Fry's store near you, go online and search for "Transcend"... It should be there... If you're gonna go in the 2GB/4GB capacity range, check your local electronic stores... They usually have weekly sales on them... That storage range is creeping up to the "standard" size capacity range for most of todays high megapixel digital cameras (SLR's and P&S)...

- Air B [Smoking]
To add to that - some cameras don't play well with microdrives. I assume the new ones are fine, but my D100 refused to work with the microdrive I bought.

Frys - www.frys.com or www.outpost.com

Amazon sometimes comes in at a better price than Fry's.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#590123 - 18/11/06 08:17 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I have a 2.2 gig hitachi microdrive and it is slow when it comes to burst mode.
It was pretty bad with the D60 at 3.5fps.
Now with the 1D it is pretty painful with 8.5fps.

I will be buying two or three of the high end sandisk ultra 2 gig CF cards from Costco for around $70 each. For now I'm using a 512 CF sandisk Ultra card.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#590124 - 18/11/06 09:17 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
One more thing against Microdrives, they don't like cold weather. Last year's Winter Camp at Big Bend it didn't get all that cold (night time lows in the lower 30's), but the microdrive wouldn't work in the mornings until they got warmed up (tent camping so no place to keep the camera warm overnight). The camera would just shutoff after the taking the picture when it was trying to write out the data to the microdrive. The CF cards didn't have any problems with those temperatures, and they weren't even the Sandisk Extreme's. I still have the microdrive, but only use it in warm temperature's, and only when I fill up the 4GB CF card. Looking for another 4 or 8GB at a good price but so far Fry's only been running ad's for the 2GB cards. This should change since Christmas is coming up, there should be some good sales on the larger CF cards, there have been the last couple of years.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#590125 - 29/11/06 09:57 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amazon just shipped my Opteka battery grip, same one you got airbutchie. I also invested in a 430EX flash. Now the wife will kill me if I spend any more this side of Christmas, unless we win big at the Christmas Party again this year smile So I have to wait on the Canon 75-200 F4 until my birthday in March.

#590126 - 29/11/06 10:18 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Hehehhehehheh... Great purchases there my friend... You won't regret the battery grip and flash...

Anyhoo... Just to add to the discussion... Here's a few pics I took this past weekend while my wifey and I were putting up our xmas decorations... Enjoy:

edit: Digital Rebel XTi|Canon 50mm f1.8|ISO 100|430EX Flash

- airbutchie

#590127 - 29/11/06 07:45 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?

#590128 - 29/11/06 09:23 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Quote:
I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?
The awesome bokeh I created?! Hehhehehhehe... How Xorand?

- Air B :rolleyes:

#590129 - 01/12/06 02:07 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course the fuckers at Slickdealz.net post the XTI Kit (which I got 2 weeks ago) for $535 today. About $300 less than I paid.

So for anyone wanting a nice camera at a cheap ass price, from a well respected source - Dell.com. Go to slickdealz.net and follow the link.

#590130 - 01/12/06 09:57 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Of course the fuckers at Slickdealz.net post the XTI Kit (which I got 2 weeks ago) for $535 today. About $300 less than I paid.

So for anyone wanting a nice camera at a cheap ass price, from a well respected source - Dell.com. Go to slickdealz.net and follow the link.
The $535 deal is for the XT kit, not the XTi. That's still a good price though. Here are the details:

Quote:
Dell Home has Black or Silver Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 MP Digital Camera (body only) for $799 - auto 15% off - 10% coupon = $611. $599 if you pay using Dell Preferred Account. Thanks Selma

Black or Silver Digital Rebel XT Camera with 18-55mm lens for $699 - auto 15% off - $10% coupon = $535. Pay with your Dell Preferred Account to save 2% more making it $524.

Black Canon Digital Rebel XT (body only) is available for $599 - auto 15% off - 10% coupon = $458 or $449 if you pay with Dell Preferred Account. Silver version is also available

#590131 - 01/12/06 10:39 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Quote:
[b]I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?
The awesome bokeh I created?! Hehhehehhehe... How Xorand?

- Air B :rolleyes: [/b]
That's part of it. The aperature in the 50mm f/1.8 has five blades, thus the five-sided pentagon look to the lights in the background. Most lenses have seven or eight blades, giving a more rounded look to the out of focus areas. Nothing bad, mind you, as it provides some interesting effects at times.

#590132 - 03/12/06 04:50 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I'm glad this topic came up. We are getting the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8MP camera. I don't know how much space an 8MP picture takes, but is a 512MB memory card enough? How many pictures will that hold at best quality? confused

#590133 - 03/12/06 05:32 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Xorand Offline

Count on an average of about 4 Megs per highest-quality JPEG. That is an average, of course. Scenes with more detail, such as a picture out in the woods full of trees, will take up to 7 or 8 MB each, depending.

If you shoot RAW, count on about 8-10 MB a picture.

I have a Digital Rebel (300D - 6 MP) and carry six 512MB cards. I usually get around 140 high quality JPEGs or about 70-75 RAW images on a card. Scale your results by about 3/4 (seeing as how your images will be about 4/3rd the size of mine.

#590134 - 05/12/06 10:22 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Nismo... If you've got the cash, you may want to purchase, at a minimum, a 1GB card... 2GB would be better... Nonetheless, the 512MB card would probably hold about 507 JPEGS and 109 RAW format pictures... Linky here: Megapixel Calculator

Of course you have to factor in how detailed the picture composition is... But the figure above is probably a "guess-timate" at best...

Lastly, a few pics I took with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens I purchased last month... Enjoy...

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - "Flower Power"

- Air B

edit: pictures were taken indoors, at nite, with fluorescent (sp?) lighting, hand held... No flash used... EXIF file is attached to the picture if you want to see the details of the composition...

#590135 - 05/12/06 10:28 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a 2Gb card with my 10mp XTI from NewEgg. Way cheaper than buying what the online site - Beachcamera.com where I got the camera had to offer.

Sandisk UltraII 2Gb $71.99: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820171051

Seems to be fast enough for my needs too. I plan on a 2nd one in the near future.

#590136 - 05/12/06 11:10 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
01SalsaXterra Offline

I just scooped up a few 1 gig Sandisk Ultra II CF cards from Sandisk a couple days ago.
$22.99 each.. ROCK! And a 1 gig SD card for $14.99 for my girlfriend P&S camera.
Now they are back to normal prices. Go figure.

If anyone is interested, my D60 is officially on ebay. linky
I will give a good discount to a fellow X'er if interested. [ThumbsUp]

Edited to add..
It's not all about the megapixel. My camera is only a 4.1MP. laugh
If I shoot on RAW they can be anywhere between 4-11 meg. each. More than adequate for any prints.

I got "IT" from ebay.

#590137 - 05/12/06 11:32 AM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Salsa - you might want to improve the English in a couple spots on your auction...

"I can also answer any question that you may have"

- should be "questions"

There are also a couple places where "camera" should be pluralized to "cameras" - like here:
"Anyone that knows camera, knows Pelican cases." - that ought to be "Anyone who knows cameras knows Pelican cases."

Just trying to help smile

#590138 - 05/12/06 12:27 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Quote:
Salsa - you might want to improve the English in a couple spots on your auction...

"I can also answer any question that you may have"

- should be "questions"

There are also a couple places where "camera" should be pluralized to "cameras" - like here:
"Anyone that knows camera, knows Pelican cases." - that ought to be "Anyone who knows cameras knows Pelican cases."

Just trying to help
LOL. I typed it up late last night and it took forever and a day to upload the pix. Ugh.
I'll fix it up later tonight. Thanks for the grammar lesson. laugh

I got "IT" from ebay.

#590139 - 05/12/06 01:19 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I got a 2Gb card with my 10mp XTI from NewEgg. Way cheaper than buying what the online site - Beachcamera.com where I got the camera had to offer.

Sandisk UltraII 2Gb $71.99: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820171051

Seems to be fast enough for my needs too. I plan on a 2nd one in the near future.
Ah...but you can do even better right now...

$44.99 at Amazon right now

(Which is actually cheaper than the 1GB at Amazon.

#590140 - 05/12/06 01:31 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeaa - I have one on my Amazon wish list. Along with the 70-200 f/4 USM lens and a bunch of other goodies. Damn cheap for a 2Gb CF card, but I'll see if anyone gets it for me for Christmas / Hannukah first.

#590141 - 08/12/06 01:45 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
airbutchie Offline

Bump Bump... So Big Yella doesn' have to look very far for info on a lens for his Rebel XT...

- Air B [Too much XOC]

#590142 - 08/12/06 03:20 PM Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?
Mobycat Offline

To add to that bump - that Amazon link - the 2GB card is now $39.99!

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal