2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59586 - 18/06/02 11:22 PM Idler Arm Brace Install Question
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Okay, I got my Calmini idler arm brace installed and it seems okay. Just one question:

The bottom nut (the one underneath) has a really large washer between it and the idler arm. Did you guys remove this washer completely or re-install it underneath the brace? I left the washer on there and now the bolt in the pivot point of the idler arm does not come completely through the nut at the bottom end. It just isn't quite long enough. Should this concern me? I imagine the large washer does provide extra strength but I don't like the idea of the bolt not going all the way through the nut. I really tightened it down but I am debating whether or not to just remove the large washer altogether so that the bolt goes all the way through the nut. It might be bad if the whole thing simply came off when I am going 60MPH.

What did you people do with this washer?

Thanks

#59587 - 19/06/02 01:41 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Put the washer on your workbench and leave it there. The brace replaces it (I'm surprised it went together with the washer in there, hopefully you didn't stress anything).

Make sure you don't "really tighten it down"... about 50 lb. ft. of torque is all that is needed.

#59588 - 19/06/02 09:41 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yup, I didn't think it belonged there, and a quick call to Calmini confirmed it when I installed mine.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#59589 - 19/06/02 10:33 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Yup, I didn't think it belonged there, and a quick call to Calmini confirmed it when I installed mine.

Brent
maybe that should have been their clue to send instructions. got mine last week. haven't put it on yet, so it's good to know that the washer isn't necessary.
sliders come with instructions. idler arm brace doesn't. weird.

#59590 - 19/06/02 10:40 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
XOC Offline
Admin

The picture on their web site pretty much explains it all. Most people probably would have viewed the picture if they ordered the part.

#59591 - 19/06/02 12:11 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:
Originally posted by sean yeager:
maybe that should have been their clue to send instructions.
Not trying to flame here but honestly if there were instructions would you look at them. Most men seem to just leave them in the box. I mean here is a bolt, there is a hole how hard can this be? Calmini understands this and is waiting for the call from the wife/other "Yeah, um, my husband just tried to instal this blue thing. Does the silver round flat thingy go back on or is it left off?

I need to stop writing and order mine before they are all gone.

ALAN

#59592 - 19/06/02 12:28 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Hey, I was damn confused, too --- so I checked out xoc.com and the discussion on Manufacturer's Row -- SLR v Calmini. This shot was enough for me to toss the washer:

This board is a sweet resource...

#59593 - 19/06/02 12:34 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
The picture on their web site pretty much explains it all. Most people probably would have viewed the picture if they ordered the part.
Yeah, I went straight upstairs and looked on their site for any clues. That pic didn't appear to use the washer, but I still wanted to get the word from them.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#59594 - 19/06/02 04:19 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by electrobuzz:
Hey, I was damn confused, too --- so I checked out xoc.com and the discussion on Manufacturer's Row -- SLR v Calmini. This shot was enough for me to toss the washer:

This board is a sweet resource...
Actually, in this shot, the washer is still there! I can barely see it underneath the idler arm brace between the nut and the brace.

Anyway, if Calmini verified that it should be removed I will remove it.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

#59595 - 19/06/02 04:34 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Whoa, lucky I am blind as a bat as well. [Too much XOC] True, on the above shot, those nuts don't even look entirely flush.

This brace, from that same forum, clearly is washerless:

It is practically impossible to cram the bolts in with the washer in place. Without, it fits straight on, like it was designed that way.

#59596 - 10/05/03 11:02 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
Pontifex Offline

Loc: Maryland
I just got my Calmini Idler Arm Brace and am trying to install it. Is it necessary to jack the front end of the truck up to remove the weight from the wheels to install this. Or can I just crank the steering wheel all the way to the right to get to it?

Thanks,

Jeff

#59597 - 10/05/03 11:43 AM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Just crank the wheel over a bit to make some room.

Above the idler arm, pop a few pins out and move the rubber trim flap thingy out of the way, and you can get a wrench on the bolts over the top of the frame to hold them.

#59598 - 10/05/03 03:21 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
Pontifex Offline

Loc: Maryland
Man, I can't get the bolts to friggen budge. I hit them with some WD40 and even used a hammer on the wrench. Do they Loctite these?

#59599 - 10/05/03 05:03 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Is the idler arm brace still needed with the Calmini SS? Or are people just using them to beef up thier stock steering?

Just wondering because I'm almost saved up for the Calmini steering. Currently I have the AC idler arm brace, but I don't imagine that it will fit the Calmini system confused

DKX01

#59600 - 10/05/03 07:01 PM Re: Idler Arm Brace Install Question
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Pontifex, no locktite, just use an extension on your wrench or a breaker bar and it will come off. If that doesn't work, then it's time to hit the gym! :p

DKX01, the Calmini SS comes with it's own idler arm brace. You can't use your old one on it because it is designed differently.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal