shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#597747 - 25/09/07 03:42 PM lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

you decide! what are yall's opinions on the subject?
http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=53929

I googled the guy and appearently he killed a cop also.

#597748 - 25/09/07 03:51 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

lethal injection is fine by me. Uses less energy than the electric chair, so really, it's the "environmental friendly" way to kill someone.

(sorry; just read the "why are there so many inconsiderate arseholes that bought a X after I did and are wasting all the fuel??" thread.)

#597749 - 25/09/07 03:56 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lethal injection is better than the chair, I think. And I support the death penalty - costs less money than to keep them in there for life.

#597750 - 25/09/07 03:59 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
lethal injection is fine by me. Uses less energy than the electric chair, so really, it's the "environmental friendly" way to kill someone.

good, idea! environmentally friendly....i never looked at it like that.

#597751 - 25/09/07 04:02 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottom line -- fuck those guys.

I'm so tired of these assholes on death row receiving more legal and societal considerations than their victims. How about the people leading this legal fight put the victim's needs first, for a change.

#597752 - 25/09/07 04:16 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
the death penalty - costs less money than to keep them in there for life.
I've never seen a study that says that. All the one's I've seen say the exact opposite - the death penalty ends up costing more than life in prison.

Now, that could change IF they reduced the appeals process. But that's a dangerous road to go down, especially when you consider the number of people exonerated by DNA. Even one person exonerated should prove that the appeals process is needed.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#597753 - 25/09/07 04:20 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
[b]the death penalty - costs less money than to keep them in there for life.
I've never seen a study that says that. All the one's I've seen say the exact opposite - the death penalty ends up costing more than life in prison.

Now, that could change IF they reduced the appeals process. But that's a dangerous road to go down, especially when you consider the number of people exonerated by DNA. Even one person exonerated should prove that the appeals process is needed.[/b]
Right, appeals process needs to be changed. Dangerous or not, some people should not be kept alive, period. Many prisoners end up costing the state over a Million dollars. Now that's just rediculous.

Kill them and be done with them. Prisons are often overwhelmed with inmates and something needs to be done.

#597754 - 25/09/07 04:22 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Death Penalty to all those who deserve it regardless of the Victim's or special interest's opinions. There's no "Cruel and Unusual" to someone who inflicts it on others.

As to method; I would prefer to see the cheapest and easiest as the standard and allow the States to decide for themselves.

#597755 - 25/09/07 04:23 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:

I'm so tired of these assholes on death row receiving more legal and societal considerations than their victims. How about the people leading this legal fight put the victim's needs first, for a change.
You mean like Curtis McCarty ?

21 years on death row - exonerated because DNA proved he didn't do it.

I'm not saying this happens all the time - it is rare. But we're talking about killing someone for a crime. This is final. You have to be absolutely 100% sure about it. There is not taking it back once it's done.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#597756 - 25/09/07 04:29 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
Quote:

I agree FUCK THOSE ASSHOLES!!

#597757 - 25/09/07 04:47 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Bottom line -- fuck those guys.

You mean like Curtis McCarty ?

21 years on death row - exonerated because DNA proved he didn't do it.

I'm not saying this happens all the time - it is rare. But we're talking about killing someone for a crime. This is final. You have to be absolutely 100% sure about it. There is not taking it back once it's done.[/b]
Very true, it cannot be undone. And there will, most likely, be more exonerations due to DNA testing.

But geez, spending 21 years on death row? How many people are out there spending decades on death row? How many of those victims are put through the ringer time and time again to relive things, only to watch people convicted of horrible crimes -- crimes strong enough to warrant a death penalty verdict -- continue to take advantage of a system that, IMHO, is in desperate need of an overhaul?

Arguments for or against the death penalty aside, how about a little more effort on behalf of the victims?

#597758 - 25/09/07 04:50 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree if you are 100% sure that someone is guilty of a heinous (sp?) crime then they should be killed for it. Maybe give them at most one appeal. Lethal inject s about as painless as being killed gets, so there's nothing cruel about it... especially considering what kind of cruel crime you have to commit to be charged with the death penalty.

Personally I think they're being let off too easy... and wasting our money with life imprisonments and lethal injection these days.

What's the current price of a .45 round?

#597759 - 25/09/07 05:14 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
No such thing as 100%. We've killed the innocent before and we'll do it again... it's just something you accept as part of having a death penalty.

As for the cocktail being cruel and unusual - I don't see why there's so much controversy... if there is some suggestion that they might not be using enough anesthetic - just up the amount of anesthetic in the cocktail and be done with it. A bit more drug can't cost much compared to the cost of the overall process.

AAR, they should just do what they do with cattle... stun them with a cash knocker or a bullet or something and then slit their throats 'till they bleed out... that is considered plenty humane enough for a cow... and I have less respect for these folks than I do for cows wink

#597760 - 25/09/07 09:00 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

At the end of the day - taking someones life is cruel and unusual in my book. So change the out of date constitution already to allow for it and kill some of these fuckers rather than sitting them on Death Row for 30 years first.

I say go with something like the Sadaam Hussein appeal process, trial ends - 30 days later string em up.

#597761 - 25/09/07 11:47 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eighth Amendment protects us from a cruel and unusual punishment. Once we start saying "fuck that let's kill them all with a hammer" where will this end?
Please note, the argument is not about death penalty -- it is about lethal injection. Such arguments have been brought up before the Supreme Court before and I do not see what is wrong with it. As societies and people evolve, our norms and laws have to evolve too. Questioning and changing our laws is not the end of the world.

Death penalty itself was a subject to questioning because the wording in the Constitution is loose. I highly doubt that we can have a decate w/o case where somebody challenges it. What is cruel? What is unusual? Does capital punishment fall into that category? If we do something more often will this become usual and not cruel? I am sure people will figure things out.

#597762 - 26/09/07 05:12 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
I'm against lethal injection, but for the guillotine, preferably about a week after the guilty verdict.

#597763 - 26/09/07 06:40 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
For those against lethal injection, what method would you prefer?

I'd rather get injected then BBQ'd. Hanging? Firing squad? Tickled?

#597764 - 26/09/07 06:59 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I say bring back the firing squad.

#597765 - 26/09/07 07:29 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
GrayHam Offline

Utah used the firing squad on Gary Gilmore in the '70s, didn't they?

Sounds pretty good to me.

#597766 - 26/09/07 08:23 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cranial disharmony:
I say bring back the firing squad.
Yep ...lead pills are cheap and easily obtained.

#597767 - 26/09/07 09:36 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Boil them in oil during halftime of the Monday Night Football games, and sell advertising.

Sponsor: Crisco!

(George Carlin)

I dunno...the definition of cruel and unusual is a little different for everyone. I'm more for the eye for an eye approach. If they shot their victim, shoot them. If they raped and tortured their victim....then do the same to them. The only thing in my mind that could be defined as cruel and unusual is something more cruel and unusual than a murderer did to his victim.

The big hangup with capital punishment is that 100% certainty factor on a conviction when no one actually witnessed it. There's always that modicum of doubt that goes in, and no one wants to be the one who executed an innocent person.

For those who don't believe in it all together, I don't know what to say. You can stomach what the murderer does, but you can't stomach him getting what he has coming to him. Why the hell should we pay to house, clothe, and feed him for the rest of his life? He's already costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in legal fees through the appeals process. 10-20 year stays on death row are ridiculous. It should be 2 years. If you can't put together an appeal in that amount of time, then there's something even more wrong with our legal system than I thought.

#597768 - 26/09/07 09:44 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You think if they went back to firing squad they would have to disinfect the bullets first? They actually wipe down the spot of injection with alcohol wipes... I've always found that amusing...

#597769 - 26/09/07 09:51 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
You think if they went back to firing squad they would have to disinfect the bullets first? They actually wipe down the spot of injection with alcohol wipes... I've always found that amusing...
......why DO they do that?

#597770 - 26/09/07 10:12 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
It should be 2 years. If you can't put together an appeal in that amount of time, then there's something even more wrong with our legal system than I thought.
Un-fucking-real.

Look at this list: Exonerated

Look at how many took more than 2 years.

So basically you are saying, "oh well...too bad." To a person CLEARED of the charge.

#597771 - 26/09/07 10:28 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there needs to be an overhaul to the legal process that keeps these cases from dragging out that long.

I believe in the appeals process for exactly the same reason you do. I just don't believe in the amount of time it takes to work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal