2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#597772 - 26/09/07 10:32 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
"Environmentally Friendly," ya say? Why not strip them naked and bury them alive? At least for the ones where there's no doubt... like they raped a minor on video or something.

I'd bring a shovel!

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#597773 - 26/09/07 11:03 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
the definition of cruel and unusual is a little different for everyone. I'm more for the eye for an eye approach. If they shot their victim, shoot them. If they raped and tortured their victim....then do the same to them.
Hmmm. Uh, yeah, that'd work great:

Q: So, what do you do for a living?
A: I'm a death-row executioner.
Q: Whoa, really? So, do you flip the electric chair on or give the lethal injection?
A: Uh, no. I'm the guy they call in to rape and torture convicts until they're dead. It's a gruesome job, but someone's got to do it. Next month, that guy Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs is coming to film a segment.

:rolleyes:

Why not just put them in a room, and fill it with CO? They'd just fall asleep and die, right? Why don't we use the "gas chamber" anymore?

#597774 - 26/09/07 11:13 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there needs to be an overhaul to the legal process that keeps these cases from dragging out that long.

I believe in the appeals process for exactly the same reason you do. I just don't believe in the amount of time it takes to work.
Ah, ok.

But there is definitely something wrong with the system - look how long it takes for them to schedule a trial. This isn't necessarily the fault of the accused.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#597775 - 26/09/07 11:24 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelingFool:
"Environmentally Friendly," ya say? Why not strip them naked and bury them alive?
That'd work in Texas.

We've got fire ants . . .

#597776 - 26/09/07 11:33 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Hmmm. Uh, yeah, that'd work great:

Q: So, what do you do for a living?
A: I'm a death-row executioner.
Q: Whoa, really? So, do you flip the electric chair on or give the lethal injection?
A: Uh, no. I'm the guy they call in to rape and torture convicts until they're dead. It's a gruesome job, but someone's got to do it. Next month, that guy Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs is coming to film a segment.

Oh come on...you dont think there'd be takers for that job?

Never thought about the "Dirty Jobs" reference. That'd be downright hilarious.

Ok, so maybe we won't have an anal rapist on the payroll, but you get the idea. I think lethal injection or the gas chamber is too humane for some of these animals.

#597777 - 26/09/07 11:39 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, figure bullets cost $1 each. Just for the sake of argument. Firing squad is usually 5 shooters, one has blanks. That's for the psychological impact, each shooter can say I had the blank, I didn't kill him/her. Here in NH it costs $38k a year to house a minimum security inmate. Maximum security is in the vicinity of $60k. That's more than alot of people make in a year. Hmmm, spend $1 and get it over with, or spend a few hundred thousand dollars to house, feed, and guard them. Or better yet, turn them all loose in the yard and let them fight to the end.

#597778 - 26/09/07 11:47 AM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ever shoot a blank? You know it's a blank....doesn't have the same recoil as a live round.

Just saying.

Carry on.

#597779 - 26/09/07 12:09 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

I always thought with a firing squad it was the opposite - there was only 1 live bullet.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#597780 - 26/09/07 12:19 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xdrivingogre:
Here in NH it costs $38k a year to house a minimum security inmate. Maximum security is in the vicinity of $60k. That's more than alot of people make in a year.
I'm curious where you found that data. From THIS source , the average cost in New Hamphire for ALL prisoners is only $28,000. What group is bringing it down, if not the minimum security population?

#597781 - 26/09/07 12:52 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Counties are also included in that data. They pack them in like sardines, thus its alot cheaper. Plus, county here is for less than a year, they don't have squat for the rehab programs either. I know a couple of guards at Merrimack county plus a few at the State Prison, state pays better but its higher risk.

#597782 - 26/09/07 01:01 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
I always thought with a firing squad it was the opposite - there was only 1 live bullet.
Nope.

http://deathpenaltyinfo.msu.edu/c/about/methods/firingsquad.htm

Hate to have the one dude with the bullet get nervous and wing the dude, and have him bleeding while they reload.

#597783 - 26/09/07 01:24 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There have been cases with inmates on death row who had to fight to actually receive the punishment. Some of these sickos actually have the balls to say they did it and want to die. But even they have to wait years and years for the penalty to be carried out.

Think about this tho - As a parent of someones child who has been murdered, would you want the murderer to receive a swift punishment? I personally would like the fucker to rot and suffer rather than getting an easy way out quickly.

#597784 - 26/09/07 01:47 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:

Think about this tho - As a parent of someones child who has been murdered, would you want the murderer to receive a swift punishment? I personally would like the fucker to rot and suffer rather than getting an easy way out quickly.
Emotions get the best of people.

I would think them sitting in a cell for the rest of their life would be a much harsher punishment than a quick death penalty.

If they are convicted of *murder,* then don't give them any chance of parole. Why do we bother with giving Manson a parole hearing every year or two?

#597785 - 26/09/07 01:47 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

""conviction when no one actually witnessed it.""

"witnesses" are the problem. Often they don't get the look they think they do. Or they are in hot water themselves and "help" the investigators naming someone for a crime.

I like to see the evidence other than witness tesitmony everytime.

Something that makes me cringe is when they interview jurors after a conviciton in a high profile case. I hear things like " he didn't have a good demeanor in the courtroom" He didn't seem to have remorse"

That scares me.

And as for the lists provided showing multiple cases of exoneration, many of those listed aren't really exonerations to the point the person was innocent. Just that there was a techinal reason or otherwise to allow the conviction to be overturned.

I saw James Robison on the second list posted. Very much involved in the death of Don Bolles, along with Adamson and Kemper Marley.

I didn't see (glanced at the list) Ray Krone however.

Convicted of murdering a bartender after hours one night. Convicted using bite marks. Exonerated later when better evidence showed the bite marks could not be his, and I believe DNA also helped clear him.

At any rate, certainly there are some people on death row who did not do the crime that landed them on death row and that really scares me.

But if there is overwhelming evidence of guilt and the penalty applies, it should be much swifter than is usually is.....

#597786 - 26/09/07 02:46 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Lordy. How about the "idiot factor" for the jury? Remember O.J.'s jury? "We din see what no blood type had to do wif it!" wow. Could work just the opposite way too, my Mom was the foreman on a jury for a murder trial. She said one of the jurors spoke of the defendant (a "well to do" Dentist) and said, "He was too handsome to have her as a wife, I'm sure he killed her because he knew he could do better." Uh.. can we consider the actual EVIDENCE here?

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#597787 - 26/09/07 03:14 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know what getting fucked by a jury feels like after my wifes injury case after being rear ended. Jury didn't even award medical bills.

Back to the topic at hand smile

Interesting graphic showing which states do what.

#597788 - 26/09/07 04:46 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
[b]I always thought with a firing squad it was the opposite - there was only 1 live bullet.
Nope.

http://deathpenaltyinfo.msu.edu/c/about/methods/firingsquad.htm

Hate to have the one dude with the bullet get nervous and wing the dude, and have him bleeding while they reload.[/b]
I found that website very interesting. Does that mean I'm fucked up or something? [Freak]

#597789 - 26/09/07 05:11 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by stone:

And as for the lists provided showing multiple cases of exoneration, many of those listed aren't really exonerations to the point the person was innocent. Just that there was a techinal reason or otherwise to allow the conviction to be overturned.

I saw James Robison on the second list posted. Very much involved in the death of Don Bolles, along with Adamson and Kemper Marley.
It wasn't *just* overturned in his case, though. In the second trial, he was acquitted.

From the details I can find, he *might* have been involved...Adamson sounds too fishy to believe 100%. He would only testify if they reinstated his plea bargain. Can we say questionable witness?

#597790 - 26/09/07 05:32 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

just out of curiousity, how can a state justify not having a death penalty? so basically go to one of them, kill someone and you spend the rest or four life behind bars.......free food and living?

#597791 - 26/09/07 05:57 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by clemsontiger09:
just out of curiousity, how can a state justify not having a death penalty? so basically go to one of them, kill someone and you spend the rest or four life behind bars.......free food and living?
If you call living in a cell with TV living...so be it.

How can a state justify HAVING a death penalty?

The death penalty serves only one purpose - revenge. It does NOT act as a deterrent. If it did, why does the population on death row continue to grow?

From 688 in 1980 to 3314 in 2004.
From

#597792 - 26/09/07 07:25 PM Re: lethel injection: cruel and unusual?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It grows because of the swelling appeals process and the lack of follow through on sentences.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal