2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#598605 - 20/03/07 08:12 AM Pet Food Recall
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Hey All,

I'm sure we've all heard the news by now about the pet food recall. I was just curious to see if anyone here was affected by it.

Here\'s the list of brands recalled!

What surprises me most about this is the apparent fact that all 51 companies on this list are using the same single company to make their pet food. It really makes me wonder why I'm paying the premium for Iams pet food when it comes from the exact same factory with the exact same ingredients as Ol' Roy from Wallyworld. The names on that list are surprising. Guess I just didn't know the real story behind pet food.

It's kinda like finding out the steakhouse you're eating at gets its entrees from the McDonalds truck.

#598606 - 20/03/07 08:26 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Cobrastrike Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Our boxer has been eating the Nutro large breed lamb and rice for about a year. We had just finished a case when we heard so we checked the bottom of one of the empty cans. Sure enough, it was one of the recalled ones. We haven't noticed any problems with her so far (knock wood).

#598607 - 20/03/07 08:40 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Thanks for the list, I forwarded it to all friends/family with dogs.

We've been using Beneful for a long time and the dogs love it.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#598608 - 20/03/07 09:06 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for posting this Auditor_Kevin! I'd be willing to bet even those who don't post here but merely read might find themselves quite informed. smile

So does everyone feel a little different about the quality of our pets premium foods brands? While I'm a firm believer in feeding dry food only, this makes me curious about what I'm really paying for. [Huh?]

#598609 - 20/03/07 09:08 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
It's quite common in the food industry (both human and pet) for a single large plant to manufacture many different private label products. While one plant is used, the products themselves are made to specific, and often different, recipes. Although some 50 different products are under recall, they are not all made to the same formula. It's expected, though, that many of the brands would share the use of particular commodities, like the wheat gluten that is suspected in the current recalls.

#598610 - 20/03/07 09:20 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Aunt worked for Pedegree Petfoods in England for like 20 years and said that the Petfood made in their factory that she worked at had to be fit for human consumption. They even had People that taste tested the stuff - Ewwww. Seems that might not be the case tho wherever this stuff is made (Canada I believe), 10 of the taste tester pets died at the factory itself.

#598611 - 20/03/07 09:24 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
There's no way I'd volunteer my dog for that taste testing stuff - for this specific reason!

Where's the incentive for the pet owner? My guess is free pet food or something similarly affordable anyway.

#598612 - 20/03/07 09:29 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
The recall is only extending to the "Cuts and gravy" varieties of these products, at least for now. Our cats eat Iams which is on the list, but dry not the "cuts and gravy" variety so hopefully their safe.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#598613 - 20/03/07 09:51 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hell, i'll take that job. I figure after a couple months, I'd be able to lick my own balls, which has been a lifelong goal of mine.

#598614 - 20/03/07 10:27 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
The culprit ingredient is only a "wheat-derivative additive" manufactured by the one company. This company does not make food for all the brands. There are lots of cars with Goodyear tires, but Goodyear does not make all the cars.

My girlfriend runs a dog rescue organization, and she lost two large litters of puppies (about 10 total) from the bad food and associated liver failure. She was PISSED when she found out about the recall, but a bit relieved as neither she, nor her vets could figure out what was killing off the pups.

#598615 - 20/03/07 10:31 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

@ Auditor_Kevin

Hope ya dont mind, but I copied this for 3 other forums I belong to or own. Your comments are spot on..
EDIT- and u recvd credit smile

MGJ

#598616 - 20/03/07 12:00 PM Re: Pet Food Recall
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
This dog doesn't know what brand they have been feeding him... but he's not taking any chances....

[Huh?]

#598617 - 21/03/07 04:16 AM Re: Pet Food Recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
My Aunt worked for Pedegree Petfoods in England for like 20 years and said that the Petfood made in their factory that she worked at had to be fit for human consumption. They even had People that taste tested the stuff - Ewwww. Seems that might not be the case tho wherever this stuff is made (Canada I believe), 10 of the taste tester pets died at the factory itself.
We send cranes to the Purina plant. It smells like butthole. They too are required to meet human consumption standards. I feed my dog ProPlan and I'd recommend it. It helped with his dry skin and it's not on this list.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal