shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#599181 - 12/12/06 02:58 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

If I later find that Salaam Alekeim means "I have the bombs", and Alekeim Salaam means "And I the fuses...", so be it....
That...was....AWESOME [Spit] [Spit] [LOL]

- on a serious note....
when I was in the Cub Scouts way back when, they taught us to be 'reverent' of other people's religions. Our scout master said he was with some muslims or one of those groups that does a lot of kneeling and bowing and when it was time to pray he joined them and kneeled and bowed right along with them - not because he believed in their God or religious practices - but to show respect for their beliefs/practices... maybe to try to understand them a bit better... or maybe just so he didn't look like a tool as the one guy in the mosque sitting indian-style picking his nose.

These little gestures cost you nothing and can create a great deal of goodwill between different groups.

#599182 - 12/12/06 03:01 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Cinco de mayo is not Mexican Indepence day (which is actually September 16) but the commemoration of the Battle of Puebla where Mexican forces defeated the occupying French forces on May 5, 1862. Although defeating the French really isn't something to brag about. laugh

Anyways, the only reason I get hammered on cinco de mayo is because it's my birthday.

#599183 - 12/12/06 03:02 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Cinco de Mayo, 2000 is the day I bought my Xterra laugh

#599184 - 12/12/06 03:11 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[b]"The Night before Kwanzaa"

[/b]
Dude, you don't even know how bad "Karenga" is. Ron Everett, the woman torturing sadist, was on presidents boards and a professor at CSULB heading the ethnic studies department. There is no more racist fraud in this entire country. shocked

#599185 - 12/12/06 04:43 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Believe it or not, Christmas is a fairly unimportant christian holiday. Just as unimportant as Chaunnukah. The most (or at least "more") important holidays in the respective religions are Easter and Passover. Of course, nobody but the most observant of the religious treat them as such. I know I don't. Besides, if it really was a celebration of the birth of Christ if would be in July. Which is fine by me, I could stand to get presents in the summer and party like it's Saturnalia in the winter.

BabyX- I got no problem with christians. I have a problem with prosteletyzing. I even have a problem with this rabbi giving a shit what the goyim do incorrectly in the name of their religion. But enough is enough already.

It's like an annoying commercial.

Christ-on! Apply directly to the forehead!

I'm thinking of a number between 480 and 850.... its 666 and you're going to burn!

So easy, even a sinner could do it.

I lost 180 pounds by eating three six-inch Jesuses a day.

j-j-j- Jesus!

It's more than a man can bear.

#599186 - 12/12/06 05:10 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MattyX:
Believe it or not, Christmas is a fairly unimportant christian holiday.
I'm Christian and would agree with that. Christmas is a more of a commercial holiday. Just compare the attendance to the mall compared to church. I've never seen a lineup in front of church for people to get in, but this time year, there's a lineup in front of Walmart every morning.

Apparently we are suppose to celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th. Most houses I know (including mine) only have gifts under the tree, no nativity scene. There's actually nothing in my house representing religion, but it sure looks like christmas.

#599187 - 12/12/06 05:48 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
this isn't directed at you, Rockaholic, but your commented provides a jumping-off point. When I say "you", I don't mean you, personally)

It's not about assuming you share the same belief system, it's about sharing their own with you...It's not about shoving it down your throat, it's about sharing what we know to be true.

Edited to add: That being said, I understand that there are extremists out there, as there are in every religion, wanting to shove Christ down your throats. I don't condone said behaviour, nor am I trying to endorse or excuse it.
Good points.

Personally, I think part of this discussion has been because of the "war on Christmas" being shoved down our throats.
Kind of like when those Jehovah witnesses knock on my door and keep trying to sell me their religion, when all I want to do is enjoy the football game on TV. I can accept that is selfish of me, but I try to be nice when I slam the dorr shut in their face. wink

Some people take their religion and personal beliefs seriously, I can respect that. Some people (like my mother) take Christamas way too seriously. I just don't think taking your religion seriously excuses bashing someone else for their beliefs.

#599188 - 12/12/06 06:24 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
My niece was playing with the figures from the nativity set on the kitchen table...and a toy Pillsbury Dough Boy.

We overhear this:

"Wake up Baby Jesus, Santa Claus is here!"

That niece has a kid in middle school now a days, and I still smile when I remember that line.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#599189 - 12/12/06 07:04 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
TJ Offline

And - I don't think its so much a war on Christmas, as a rebellion against exclusion.

I don't think the pagans (non-christians?) feel its fair that its expected that they observe christian customs...and not expected for christians to give THEIR customs equal weight.

We are typically against a religion based government, like a middle eastern govenment based upon Islam, because we think THEY should have a secular government based upon modern laws, not on Islamic Laws.

THEY say, No, we are pretty much all Muslims, and our religeon is so important to us, that we MUST base our government on Islamic principles.

Meanwhile - WE start acting as if OUR government should be Christian, as most of us are Christian, and the rest of them should STFU and assimilate.

I think we're all the same...we ALL (Statistically...) feel that OUR religeon is reasonable, and that its reasonable for others to just accept it.

The problems seem to stem from conflicting views as to WHAT religeon is the one EVERYONE has to follow to avoid trouble...no one is ever willing to submit.....because THEIR view is the reasonable one....and the OTHER guys views are alien and scary.

laugh

So - we have a public place with saxonic coniferous confluence conflicted with radical rabinical requests for rapport raised in reaction to repeated rebuffs.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#599190 - 12/12/06 07:07 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunx:

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[b][b]"The Night before Kwanzaa"

[/b]
Dude, you don't even know how bad "Karenga" is. Ron Everett, the woman torturing sadist, was on presidents boards and a professor at CSULB heading the ethnic studies department. There is no more racist fraud in this entire country. shocked [/b]
Believe me... I am well aware of Ron Karenga, his history, and the complete fraud that is "Kwanzaa".

The sad reality is that this fraud is being advanced by a corrupt media and a corrupt education establishment in this country.

Every kid in America is being taught about Kwanzaa. They are taught everything but the truth.

It's nice to know that you know. There is yet still some hope for California. [ThumbsUp]

#599191 - 13/12/06 03:36 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Fuckin religion

#599192 - 13/12/06 04:16 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
TJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Fuckin religion
Sounds good, where's the church?

laugh

#599193 - 13/12/06 06:04 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Besides, if it really was a celebration of the birth of Christ if would be in July.
I was always under the impression it was sometime in March.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#599194 - 13/12/06 06:10 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
TJ Offline

They don't even know what year, let alone what month or day. 12/25 was picked to coincide with prior pagan celebration dates, so as to diffuse/replace the pagan practice.

Hell, there's pretty much no record of Jesus's childhood...he's born with fan fare and wise men with gifts and stars shining brightly yadda yadda yadda, and then - apparently the next morning, the gifts are gone, the wise man are gone, and no one pays any mind to the lad, until he becomes an adult...when, BAM, he is The Saviour, yadda yadda yadda....

So don't worry about his birthday, if any one would understand you missing it, you'd think it would be Jesus for Christs Sake.

laugh

#599195 - 13/12/06 09:36 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Besides, if it really was a celebration of the birth of Christ if would be in July.
I was always under the impression it was sometime in March.[/b]
"Heeeey Peter, I can see your House from here"

#599196 - 13/12/06 09:44 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
apparently the next morning, the gifts are gone, the wise man are gone, and no one pays any mind to the lad,
See what happens when you have a cash bar?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#599197 - 13/12/06 09:49 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
[b]Fuckin religion
Sounds good, where's the church?

laugh [/b]
What are you a Priest Pee-Pee Toucher too?!? I thought I saw you on the news! :p

#599198 - 16/12/06 01:56 AM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TJ:
he's born with fan fare and wise men with gifts and stars shining brightly yadda yadda yadda

I thought the wise men didn't find him until he was a young boy? Then again... what do we have to go off? A passed down story to someone else to write, and who knows how many translations later....

About the unimportant holidy bit... I'd like to meet 1 girl that doesn't feel that way. I swear every girl I mention I don't celebrate holidays too, either freaks out and yells at me *sigh*, or proceeds to tell me she could never raise her children without Christmas in their life. :| Dear lord woman, I just bought you a drink, and wanted to get you in bed... not give you kids!

Commercialized holidays shall rule the world, and Hallmark will reap the rewards! laugh

I love the origin of the tree bit, never fails to make me laugh. Some dude was looking to make a buck and look what he started.

#599199 - 17/12/06 10:15 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ironically: Chanukah is a holiday that not only celebrates a oil-lasting-8-days miracle... but also celebrates religious freedom won in a guerilla war.

The issue in Seattle airport: The supreme court ruled Christmas trees and menorahs are secular items. They are not religious in and of themselves. However, the good rebbe wanted to hold a religious ceremony to light the menorah.
That would then make the menorah into a religious symbol. So then the big mess would ensue.

#599200 - 17/12/06 10:30 PM Re: "Mommy, why are they killing X-mas?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the days when I went to CSULB (Go Beach!) to now as I still enjoy living in Long Beach, I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who doesn't think that the "king of Kwanza" is anything but a complete and utter 'tard.

Outside of those in his department, students who needed grades and letters of recommendation and/or those who are incapable of voicing opinions without fear of someone accusing them of not being PC, that is.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal