shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600153 - 17/04/07 11:45 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
coferj Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
[b]The guns used were illegal. They had filed off serial numbers.
That's all I needed to know. The law was broken. Further proof that more gun control laws will be entirely ineffective. Even if every citizen was required to turn in their weapons, do you honestly think the criminals will give up theirs? It'll just become another aspect of organized crime like the drug trades.

[/b]
Yea, he filed the damned things off himself.

#600154 - 17/04/07 11:50 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by coferj:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]The guns used were illegal. They had filed off serial numbers.
That's all I needed to know. The law was broken. Further proof that more gun control laws will be entirely ineffective. Even if every citizen was required to turn in their weapons, do you honestly think the criminals will give up theirs? It'll just become another aspect of organized crime like the drug trades.

[/b]
Yea, he filed the damned things off himself.[/b]
Why would he do that though? Has the receipt they found been linked to the actual gun? I am sure it is the receipt and even if the gun was purchased legally (I thought visa holders could only legally purchase long arms?) it doesn't really matter now does it?

Either way there is going to be all kind of finger pointing at guns, at video games, at the school etc.

Basically in the end all the fingers will point to everything except at the one wacked out kid who went nutz and killed 32 people. Because you know that angle can't really be used for any political gain in this country and it can't easily be explained away by all the pundits.

Hell if it really was over a girl, then Shakespeare is our best "correspondant" on the matter.

#600155 - 17/04/07 11:55 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Samueul Offline

Just to add. The media really makes me sick.

An excerpt from CNN "Gunman identified as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old English major from South Korea"

So he just got here from South Korea huh? I guess if I kill someone it will read "from Italy" though I've never even been there?

Fuck, he's lived in suburbia legally since he was 8. How the fuck is he from South Korea now?

What a travesty.

#600156 - 17/04/07 12:11 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Just to add. The media really makes me sick.

Be prepared to get much sicker about the media coverage over the next few days to a week.

#600157 - 17/04/07 12:24 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

No shit, it's going to get much worse, and it'll be spun for every political purpose you can imagine.

Also look for this to be a campaign weapon for Obama and Clinton, among others who don't believe in 2nd amendment rights.

...And they'll get votes for it to from the ignorant masses.

This topic is going on over on N4W as well. One member reported that in a discussion a lady told him that guns should be banned. He countered with Koreans should be banned. It makes about the same amount of sense. I thought that was priceless.

#600158 - 17/04/07 12:44 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

No shit, it's going to get much worse, and it'll be spun for every political purpose you can imagine.

Also look for this to be a campaign weapon for Obama and Clinton, among others who don't believe in 2nd amendment rights.

...And they'll get votes for it to from the ignorant masses.
The leftists and their allies in the media were already making this a gun control issue before the police secured the campus yesterday.

The Democrats stand to lose a lot if they make an issue of gun control. It is one of the reasons they lost the Congress in 1994. It is one of the reasons Al Gore didn't win a couple of more states in 2000.

The Democrats only won Congress in 2006 because they ran as moderates and conservatives. They didn't run as liberals and leftists.

The new Democrat Senator from Virginia is very pro 2nd Amendment (his aide was arrested for bringing a gun into the Capital building a couple of weeks ago).

The media will be pushing big time for gun control. It doesn't mean the Democrats will play along. Some will, many will not.

Some Republicans (RINO's) may go along with it.

Quote:
One member reported that in a discussion a lady told him that guns should be banned. He countered with Koreans should be banned. It makes about the same amount of sense. I thought that was priceless.
That's a funny reply.

#600159 - 17/04/07 01:35 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

hind sight is 20/20, mourn for those lost, learn, and move on.

If only it was that easy.

And to get back to the questioned asked before about our campus security. They are not armed, they can take no police action against a person. I had an incident when I was working in a dorm and a resident was accused of hitting a security guard(not the normal Campus Security but a Renta-cop) and she didn't want to press charges. So that left me to voice my concern and we ended up call the housing director to get him temporarily kicked out of the dorms. I wasn't about to have him in the dorm after doing that, what would happen if I had to confront him by myself later that night?? It takes a person willing to stand up for others to make sure things like this( VA Tech Massacre) don't happen and the gunmen prob. fell threw several cracks that should have had him kicked out. I could go on with other instances where campus security and the university it self has failed to keep us safe in the dorms but I have a paper to write.

#600160 - 17/04/07 02:08 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
GrayHam Offline

I just read one of Cho Seung-Hui's plays.

First: He was a twisted little fuck.

Second: He couldn't write for shit.

#600161 - 17/04/07 02:52 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
My baby sister is a VT freshman. Said the media was all over campus. I told her that if interviewed and asked if the school could have done anything better, to tell them yes. They should not have taken away their right to defend themselves and 30 people might still be alive.

#600162 - 17/04/07 03:11 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by InfX708:
My baby sister is a VT freshman. Said the media was all over campus. I told her that if interviewed and asked if the school could have done anything better, to tell them yes. They should not have taken away their right to defend themselves and 30 people might still be alive.
Bingo.

#600163 - 17/04/07 04:18 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now I'm not anti-gun, I own 2 rifles and 2 pistols myself. But here are the stats and their sources:

UK
In the year ending June 2005, there were 10,979 firearm offences recorded in England and Wales.
From: http://www.crimeinfo.org.uk/servlet/fact...gory=factsheets

US
Firearm related crime - 2005. Crimes included are murder, robbery, and aggravated assault - 368,178
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/guncrimetab.htm

Now we take into account the population difference.

UK Population: 60,609,153 (July 2006 Estimate)
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/uk.html

US Population: 298,444,215 (July 2006 Estimate)
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/us.html

So the US has 4.92 times the population of the UK
BUT it has 33.5 times more gun related crime. I'd say that says something for the UK gun laws. But alas it wouldn't even be possible here. So I'm keeping my guns - because everyone is sure as hell is too smile

#600164 - 17/04/07 04:20 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Why aren't things like tazers more mainstream for personal protection?

Hell - they oughta issue one of those to every citizen... they'd give you a way to defend yourself without as much fear over what might happen if you're shown to have used it incorrectly.

I have a concealed handgun license and am very pro-gun... but I generally don't carry for fear of doing more harm than good.

#600165 - 17/04/07 04:35 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Samueul Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Why aren't things like tazers more mainstream for personal protection?

Hell - they oughta issue one of those to every citizen... they'd give you a way to defend yourself without as much fear over what might happen if you're shown to have used it incorrectly.

I have a concealed handgun license and am very pro-gun... but I generally don't carry for fear of doing more harm than good.
Because you can get your ass sued to oblivion for tasering someone as opposed to just killing them outright.

Too bad we didn't have a US Society sandbox to play in and ban handguns in that environment to see how it would actually play out. We don't really know if a ban on guns would have any affect at all, and once we go down that slope it would be extremely difficult to climb back up.

I'm keeping mine no doubt about it.

#600166 - 17/04/07 04:43 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
I just read one of Cho Seung-Hui's plays.

First: He was a twisted little fuck.

Second: He couldn't write for shit.
I read two of his plays (10 pages each) and I totally concur with your two points.

Anyone even close to a normal range of sanity who read those plays could see that Cho was really disturbed. Talk about ticking time bomb.

The two pieces posted looked like they came from an abused/angry 9-yr old who thinks its cool to swear. Not like a SENIOR English Major at Virgina Tech!!

#600167 - 17/04/07 05:50 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

It will be interesting to see how this affects Campus Security across the country in the future. I mean 2 hours, I would like to know exactly what students were still doing walking around campus or in classes for that matter.

#600168 - 17/04/07 06:35 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
NY Madman Offline

I read the play he wrote that is posted on The Smoking Gun.

You have to remember, he handed that in as part of his class work. I'd bet he got a good grade on that play.

The lawyers for the college are telling the faculty not to say a word about any of this or to give out his grades.

There is an awful lot of potential embarrassment on the part of the college faculty regarding the issues with this killer. I'm willing to bet he got an A or B for those plays he wrote.

College campuses are places of political correctness, moral relativism and the religion of diversity - regardless of how perverted or twisted his writing may have been.

The teacher was probably told to say she was concerned about his writings, but I would bet serious money he got good grades for those plays.

Quote:
Originally posted by huckknows:

It will be interesting to see how this affects Campus Security across the country in the future. I mean 2 hours, I would like to know exactly what students were still doing walking around campus or in classes for that matter.
There was without a doubt bad decisions made and/or outright incompetence regarding the handling of the aftermath of the initial shooting.

They claim they "assumed" the shooter had left the campus. [Freak] WTF would give them that idea? You don't assume in police work. There is procedure and protocol. There was failure here.

Either the college president or this police chief fucked up big time. I have a feeling regardless of who it was that made the decisions that morning, the police chief will be the fall guy.

It's too late and now is not the time for the authorities to be openly discussing the decisions made. It will come out with the official investigation ordered by the governor.

There is a lot that can be learned from this massacre as far as future security procedures. Let's hope the coverup doesn't hamper everything too much.

#600169 - 17/04/07 07:22 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
There is a lot that can be learned from this massacre as far as future security procedures. Let's hope the coverup doesn't hamper everything too much.
Exactly, once again the focus will be on gun control, and probably on Cho Seung-Hui and his "twisted plays".

Article

Quote:
A fellow student said Cho had written two plays so "twisted" that his classmates suspected he might become a school shooter.

"When we read Cho's plays, it was like something out of a nightmare. The plays had really twisted, macabre violence that used weapons I wouldn't have even thought of," former classmate Ian McFarlane, now an AOL employee, wrote in his blog.
There is no way around the gun control and that will be dominant, and well the media is already eating up the whole "distrubed", "loner" aspect; however the primary concerns should be with the security measures in my opnion. Attending a university, well that becomes your home, and you should feel safe within the campus. Just appalling at this moment how all of this was handled.

#600170 - 17/04/07 08:19 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Now I'm not anti-gun, I own 2 rifles and 2 pistols myself. But here are the stats and their sources:

UK
In the year ending June 2005, there were 10,979 firearm offences recorded in England and Wales.
From: http://www.crimeinfo.org.uk/servlet/fact...gory=factsheets

US
Firearm related crime - 2005. Crimes included are murder, robbery, and aggravated assault - 368,178
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/guncrimetab.htm

Now we take into account the population difference.

UK Population: 60,609,153 (July 2006 Estimate)
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/uk.html

US Population: 298,444,215 (July 2006 Estimate)
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/us.html

So the US has 4.92 times the population of the UK
BUT it has 33.5 times more gun related crime. I'd say that says something for the UK gun laws. But alas it wouldn't even be possible here. So I'm keeping my guns - because everyone is sure as hell is too smile
It also says something for the effectiveness of Britain's ban. If you have almost 11000 crimes using an object that isn't even supposed to be in the country, perhaps your enforcement techniques need a little examination. Also, where are the stats on other weapons used? I'm willing to bet that more knife-related crimes per capita were commited in the UK than the US, or at least much less of a gap. A guy in Oxford threatened to stab me because I accidentally cut him off while walking in a crowd an suddenly coming upon a pole sticking out of the ground. Just trying to cut down on the spin.

#600171 - 17/04/07 11:23 PM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
hind sight is 20/20, mourn for those lost, learn, and move on.

If only it was that easy.

And to get back to the questioned asked before about our campus security. They are not armed, they can take no police action against a person.
Interesting. At my college, the seekies had full state police authority.

As far as guns allowed on a campus...I would *never* want that. Should that include high schools? I was 18 my senior year in high school. There were a few of us that were 18 (or turned 18 during the school year).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#600172 - 18/04/07 04:38 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the perspective of a current college student, I really would not want guns on campus. One reason being that there are multiple fights every single night that I go out. That is just the nature of a high concentration of testosterone and alcohol. Adding guns to that mix would be bad news.

#600173 - 18/04/07 04:51 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GPrsh924:
From the perspective of a current college student, I really would not want guns on campus. One reason being that there are multiple fights every single night that I go out. That is just the nature of a high concentration of testosterone and alcohol. Adding guns to that mix would be bad news.
I agree. [ThumbsDown] for guns in school.

#600174 - 18/04/07 05:23 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Strange timing but I got a NRA sign up in the mail yesterday. I have been meaning to join, but havent out of lazyness. Since the media is bound and determined to turn this event in to an anti gun rally point, I decided to sign up now.

Go to www.nra.org\jointhefight
Enter offer code Y7CVWEBM and get a free NRA duffel bag and a discount on your membership.

Next step is to buy the guns I want before they can change all the laws.

#600175 - 18/04/07 05:33 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
You know - I joined the NRA one year beacause I supported their cause... but I got so pissed at the constant stream of renewal "send us more money" letters that started showing up about a month after I joined and continued en masse for a couple years that I never renewed.

#600176 - 18/04/07 05:38 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Valter Offline

Loc: Harrisburg PA
Have you notice how these events always bring out the 'I was there' syndrome?
"I was in that hall last week" or
"My brother's roomate's cousin's studies there" or
"Oh my god I was in that State last year" or
"phew, it was a close call, I was in Baltimore that day,I'm glad to be alive".

Maybe the paranoia created by the media it is contagious.

#600177 - 18/04/07 05:47 AM Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Something is happening on campus right now. Apparently swat has a building surrounded

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal