shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600421 - 08/01/08 03:18 PM September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Anyone seen the movie?. It is being released on DVD Today, Saw it last night and was suprised. Well Worth Watching

Info

#600422 - 08/01/08 04:17 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't seen the movie, but I am intrigued. I read John Krakauer's book "Under The Banner Of Heaven" a few years ago, and it gives some detail to the story. That was the first place I'd heard of that incident. But it is real, and the head of the Mormon Church ordered it. Man, I could really go off on Mormonism. I've studied it quite a lot, even talked to 3rd and 4th generation Mormons at length. This is crazy, crazy stuff. Brigham Young had a hitman as a right-hand man. This guy (can't remember his name) was at the center of this massacre. Insane. [Freak]

#600423 - 08/01/08 05:04 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

I never knew John Krakauer wrote about it. have almost all his books and love the way he writes. I met Krakauer at a book signing for "Into Thin Air" back in 98.

I had to grab the movie when I read the story line, draws a good parallel to todays terrorism in terms of the fanatic madness.

#600424 - 08/01/08 05:18 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:

I had to grab the movie when I read the story line, draws a good parallel to todays terrorism in terms of the fanatic madness.
That's a bit of a ridiculous conclusion. There is no comparison.

While I don't know if the Mormons back then were fanatical, the reasons they had to keep moving further West was because other people threatened them and their lives. There were people back then that hated Mormons and Mormons were killed.

The US government at the time was also very anti-Mormon.

The ones that wound up in Utah got word that people were coming to kill them.

You can't base history on what you see in a movie.

#600425 - 08/01/08 05:38 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I never knew John Krakauer wrote about it. have almost all his books and love the way he writes. I met Krakauer at a book signing for "Into Thin Air" back in 98.
Yeah I have all of his books. Just finished Eiger Dreams a couple weeks ago. "Under The Banner Of Heaven" is totally unlike all of his other books. It's not about mountaineering at all. It's a documentary about a couple of Mormon Fundamentalists in the 80's who "heard God" tell them they had to murder one of their wives and kid. So they did, and then went on the run. To help the reader understand the mentality that led these men to do this, Krakauer goes into great detail about the founding of the religion from day one, and its travels across the nation. There's a whole section on the Massacre. It's not exhaustive, and some have panned its accounting of that particular event as being too brief. But I thought the book was absolutely fascinating. You should check Amazon.com to see if you can pick up a used copy for a couple bucks. Well worth it.

#600426 - 08/01/08 11:17 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:

[b]I had to grab the movie when I read the story line, draws a good parallel to todays terrorism in terms of the fanatic madness.
That's a bit of a ridiculous conclusion. There is no comparison.

While I don't know if the Mormons back then were fanatical, the reasons they had to keep moving further West was because other people threatened them and their lives. There were people back then that hated Mormons and Mormons were killed.

The US government at the time was also very anti-Mormon.

The ones that wound up in Utah got word that people were coming to kill them.

You can't base history on what you see in a movie.[/b]
You Can Base history on what you see in a movie!. what you can not do is comment on a movie you have not seen.

I have read several articles around this event and they all are very close to what this movie depicts. Slaughter of 140 Man Women and Children FOR NO REASON other than they were considered sinners and Pagans. Oh and they were form Arkansas and considered enemies. The Crime was mainly led by one person, a self proclaimed Mormon Bishop and General who the President of the United States was looking to replace a territory leader due to his Fanatic Religious way of dealing with things.

Nigel, I am not here to start another flame war about religion. I watched a movie that was based on actual events, and thought it interesting enough that I read up on the subject. I do believe that the crime was terrorism in it's own time based on Religion....

#600427 - 09/01/08 12:03 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rift:
Quote:
[b]I never knew John Krakauer wrote about it. have almost all his books and love the way he writes. I met Krakauer at a book signing for "Into Thin Air" back in 98.
Yeah I have all of his books. Just finished Eiger Dreams a couple weeks ago. "Under The Banner Of Heaven" is totally unlike all of his other books. It's not about mountaineering at all. It's a documentary about a couple of Mormon Fundamentalists in the 80's who "heard God" tell them they had to murder one of their wives and kid. So they did, and then went on the run. To help the reader understand the mentality that led these men to do this, Krakauer goes into great detail about the founding of the religion from day one, and its travels across the nation. There's a whole section on the Massacre. It's not exhaustive, and some have panned its accounting of that particular event as being too brief. But I thought the book was absolutely fascinating. You should check Amazon.com to see if you can pick up a used copy for a couple bucks. Well worth it.[/b]
Awesome, I will check it out tomorrow...thanks alot !

#600428 - 09/01/08 01:29 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

You Can Base history on what you see in a movie!. what you can not do is comment on a movie you have not seen.
No. You can't base history on what you see in a movie. Well, maybe you can, but most people understand that movies are entertainment and incorporate dramatic license.

I'm not defending the Mormons. I'm defending the truth or what little truth about the incident actually exists. The truth is that no one really knows the exact true story and the motivation of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. We just know the results. Neither you nor the people who made that movie know the "actual events" as you claim.

It was a massacre, but what we can't say is that it was Mormon terrorism. A bloody massacre, yes. Brutal, yes. But saying it was terrorism is pretty much an attempt by modern people to softly excuse current terrorism.

If it was terrorism, what possible political goals or coercion could they have achieved by a mass murder of innocent people passing through on their way West? It seems born more out of extreme paranoia. Maybe even mental illness on the part of the leader. If they had massacred a garrison of US soldiers in cold blood while unprovoked, maybe that could have been considered Mormon terrorism. There would have been a clear political motivation. If the Mormons knew those people were innocents on their way to the West, there would have been no political gain or coercive angle to call it terrorism.

If that is your criteria for terrorism then an awful lot of Indian tribes who killed white people moving West were also terrorists.

Terrorism implies a coercive agenda or political motivation.

It's a stretch to call Mountain Meadows an act of terrorism when so little is known about the incident. It was definitely mass murder, but without knowing the exact reason and motivation, everything is speculation.

The entire incident was completely out of character for Mormon behavior. Typically it was the Mormons at the time who were persecuted and the hunted.

PBS did a pretty good documentary on the Mormons and you can see it at the link below. It included the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/

By the way... Who the hell is Nigel?

#600429 - 09/01/08 05:03 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
The timing of the release seems a bit fishy. With Romney being a Mormon, and a front runner, this would seem to be designed to stir up some more anti Mormon feelings.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have no intention of voting for Romney in the primary.

It seems pretty brutal on its face however, if the PBS account is accurate.

#600430 - 09/01/08 05:37 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

The timing of the release seems a bit fishy. With Romney being a Mormon, and a front runner, this would seem to be designed to stir up some more anti Mormon feelings.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have no intention of voting for Romney in the primary.

It seems pretty brutal on its face however, if the PBS account is accurate.
Yeah, the PBS documentary was somewhat harsh on the Mormons. But then again, has there ever been a PBS documentary in recent years on any religion that incorporates Christ into it's faith that wasn't harsh?

The Mormons would never be afforded the public relations coup that Islam and Mohammed received on PBS in the weeks following 9-11. To watch that, you never think a drop of blood was ever shed in the name of Islam.

But anyway..... It's good to see you on the board MBFlyerfan. I hope all is well with you and your family.

#600431 - 09/01/08 06:21 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Not to defend the killing of the people in this incident but...at the time of thie massacre the U.S. government had serious discussions regarding sending the army in to Utah to inforce a number of federal laws (taxes, etc.) and most Mormons were under the belief at that time that they would be attacked and rounded up and forced to live under s different set of laws than what they did at that time...Not a far fetched assumption on their part given how they were harrassed and attacked (sometimes of their own fault, sometimes not...) in a number of different places in the Eastern U.S. and the assasination of their founder Joseph Smith....All this WAS included in the "Under the Banner of Heaven" book by Krakaur...but I guess some of us have decided to gloss over his very balanced coverage to focus on what our given prejudices would like to highlight...

Overall, "Under the Banner of Heaven" presents an EXCELLENT primer on the Moromon religon, presenting both its good and bad sides (which ALL religions have) and saves its heaviest criticism for those who have perverted the tenets of Mormonism for their own purposes...

#600432 - 09/01/08 07:26 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]You Can Base history on what you see in a movie!. what you can not do is comment on a movie you have not seen.
No. You can't base history on what you see in a movie. Well, maybe you can, but most people understand that movies are entertainment and incorporate dramatic license.

I'm not defending the Mormons. I'm defending the truth or what little truth about the incident actually exists. The truth is that no one really knows the exact true story and the motivation of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. We just know the results. Neither you nor the people who made that movie know the "actual events" as you claim.

It was a massacre, but what we can't say is that it was Mormon terrorism. A bloody massacre, yes. Brutal, yes. But saying it was terrorism is pretty much an attempt by modern people to softly excuse current terrorism.

If it was terrorism, what possible political goals or coercion could they have achieved by a mass murder of innocent people passing through on their way West? It seems born more out of extreme paranoia. Maybe even mental illness on the part of the leader. If they had massacred a garrison of US soldiers in cold blood while unprovoked, maybe that could have been considered Mormon terrorism. There would have been a clear political motivation. If the Mormons knew those people were innocents on their way to the West, there would have been no political gain or coercive angle to call it terrorism.

If that is your criteria for terrorism then an awful lot of Indian tribes who killed white people moving West were also terrorists.

Terrorism implies a coercive agenda or political motivation.

It's a stretch to call Mountain Meadows an act of terrorism when so little is known about the incident. It was definitely mass murder, but without knowing the exact reason and motivation, everything is speculation.

The entire incident was completely out of character for Mormon behavior. Typically it was the Mormons at the time who were persecuted and the hunted.

PBS did a pretty good documentary on the Mormons and you can see it at the link below. It included the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/

By the way... Who the hell is Nigel?[/b]
You announced to everyone is a previous thread that your Name was Nigel, I guess that was not true?

Religion vs politics when we talk about "modern Day " terrorism....which is dominant?. I would say Jihadding for Allah wins.

SO you say that the 15 minutes of love scenes in the movie was not part of the fact??. "Nigel", I am not born yesterday..

#600433 - 09/01/08 07:48 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

You announced to everyone is a previous thread that your Name was Nigel, I guess that was not true?

Religion vs politics when we talk about "modern Day " terrorism....which is dominant?. I would say Jihadding for Allah wins.

SO you say that the 15 minutes of love scenes in the movie was not part of the fact??. "Nigel", I am not born yesterday..
Of course my name isn't Nigel. I said that once as a goof and forgot about it. I guess I assumed you would have known it was a joke.

When I was growing up, a kid in NY couldn't survive to the 5th grade with a name like Nigel? [LOL]

#600434 - 09/01/08 09:18 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

[b]You Can Base history on what you see in a movie!. what you can not do is comment on a movie you have not seen.
It was a massacre, but what we can't say is that it was Mormon terrorism. A bloody massacre, yes. Brutal, yes. But saying it was terrorism is pretty much an attempt by modern people to softly excuse current terrorism....[/b]
Madman, I think the truest mark of the flavor and intent of this event is not found in the event itself, but what happened afterwards. After all was said and done, relatives and loved ones of those who were murdered went to that spot and erected a monument to honor their families. Brigham Young then ordered his men to go and tear it down. That is pure spite and hatred. And yes, I believe it is also an evidence of his mania. He was a nut job, as was Joseph Smith.

As to the timing of the release of this film... truth hurts. It's not like people are drudging up dirt in Romney's life. They're just showing the truth of what the founding fathers of the Mormon cult believed. That's it. Truth is truth, regardless of when it's realized.

#600435 - 09/01/08 09:27 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]You announced to everyone is a previous thread that your Name was Nigel, I guess that was not true?

Of course my name isn't Nigel. I said that once as a goof and forgot about it. I guess I assumed you would have known it was a joke.

When I was growing up, a kid in NY couldn't survive to the 5th grade with a name like Nigel? [LOL] [/b]
Well that would explain.....nevermind
[Finger]

You will always be known as Nigel to me

#600436 - 09/01/08 09:48 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

Madman, I think the truest mark of the flavor and intent of this event is not found in the event itself, but what happened afterwards. After all was said and done, relatives and loved ones of those who were murdered went to that spot and erected a monument to honor their families. Brigham Young then ordered his men to go and tear it down. That is pure spite and hatred. And yes, I believe it is also an evidence of his mania. He was a nut job, as was Joseph Smith.
I'm not interested in arguing whether Brigham Young or Joseph Smith were nuts. I don't know if they were or not. Maybe they were nuts. I'm not the guy to answer that question.

I do know that a lot of evangelicals or born again Christians don't like Mormons. Do you belong to one or the other?

I'm not asking as a form of judgment or anything, but I do know that there is a lot of anti-Mormon bias among those groups.

I've only known about two Mormons in my life so I don't really have an opinion of them. The ones I have known were very nice people who would do anything for anyone.

But.... I am also curious of the fact that the media never or rarely ever discussed Mormonism in the past. I don't recall movies ever being made about Mormons or anything about their past.

It seems odd that when a Mormon Republican decides to run for president, all of a sudden the public is inundated with Mormon related media projects.

We have had a Mormon as Senate Majority Leader for years. Nothing about Mormons was created by media outlets when he ascended to his position. But then again, he is a Democrat.

A recent presidential candidate, Senator Chris Dodd, has a Mormon wife. The media never mentioned that fact in any discussions during his campaign.

Why is it when a Republican who is a Mormon comes to the public attention, all of sudden there is now a need to discuss everything bad about the Mormons and their past.

It's more than just a mere coincidence.

#600437 - 09/01/08 09:53 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

You will always be known as Nigel to me
Thanks. [Freak]

"I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness"

#600438 - 09/01/08 09:58 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Madman, I think the truest mark of the flavor and intent of this event is not found in the event itself, but what happened afterwards. After all was said and done, relatives and loved ones of those who were murdered went to that spot and erected a monument to honor their families. Brigham Young then ordered his men to go and tear it down. That is pure spite and hatred. And yes, I believe it is also an evidence of his mania. He was a nut job, as was Joseph Smith.
I'm not interested in arguing whether Brigham Young or Joseph Smith were nuts. I don't know if they were or not. Maybe they were nuts. I'm not the guy to answer that question.

I do know that a lot of evangelicals or born again Christians don't like Mormons. Do you belong to one or the other?

I'm not asking as a form of judgment or anything, but I do know that there is a lot of anti-Mormon bias among those groups.

I've only known about two Mormons in my life so I don't really have an opinion of them. The ones I have known were very nice people who would do anything for anyone.

But.... I am also curious of the fact that the media never or rarely ever discussed Mormonism in the past. I don't recall movies ever being made about Mormons or anything about their past.

It seems odd that when a Mormon Republican decides to run for president, all of a sudden the public is inundated with Mormon related media projects.

We have had a Mormon as Senate Majority Leader for years. Nothing about Mormons was created by media outlets when he ascended to his position. But then again, he is a Democrat.

A recent presidential candidate, Senator Chris Dodd, has a Mormon wife. The media never mentioned that fact in any discussions during his campaign.

Why is it when a Republican who is a Mormon comes to the public attention, all of sudden there is now a need to discuss everything bad about the Mormons and their past.

It's more than just a mere coincidence.[/b]
Oh I think you're right. It's more than just coincidence. The timing is intentional, no doubt. To answer your question about me, yes, I would be what the media would call a "born again Christian" or an "evangelical". Do I hate Mormons? Not at all. Super-duper nice people. Just like I don't hate Muslims. I do, however, unapologetically and passionately disagree with the hateful doctrine of Islam. It is a warfare-based, hate-fueled religion. It is what its founders intended it to be. Ever looked deeper into Rastafarianism? It's not in any way the "peace, love and ganja" crap that Bob Marley sang about. Three of the central tenets of Rasta are essentially "hate whitey" "take from whitey" and "kill whitey if you have the chance". Mormonism, is preached and even acted out as a peaceful religion. But study its founding doctrine, and you will quickly see a hateful, paranoid, racist religion. Like I said, truth is truth no matter when it's revealed.

#600439 - 09/01/08 10:12 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

Oh I think you're right. It's more than just coincidence. The timing is intentional, no doubt. To answer your question about me, yes, I would be what the media would call a "born again Christian" or an "evangelical". Do I hate Mormons? Not at all. Super-duper nice people. Just like I don't hate Muslims. I do, however, unapologetically and passionately disagree with the hateful doctrine of Islam. It is a warfare-based, hate-fueled religion. It is what its founders intended it to be. Ever looked deeper into Rastafarianism? It's not in any way the "peace, love and ganja" crap that Bob Marley sang about. Three of the central tenets of Rasta are essentially "hate whitey" "take from whitey" and "kill whitey if you have the chance". Mormonism, is preached and even acted out as a peaceful religion. But study its founding doctrine, and you will quickly see a hateful, paranoid, racist religion. Like I said, truth is truth no matter when it's revealed.
Well, I've had more contact with Rasta's here in NY and most of it wasn't exactly pleasant. It was in a former professional manner.

I'm not saying that it is bad to look at Mormonism when a guy tries to gain political power here in this country. I'm just wondering why powerful Democrats can be Mormons and no one mentions it. When a Republican sticks his head up, it becomes an issue.

With Romney, everyone seems to focus on his religion. Maybe we should be doing that. What I don't understand is the fact that with the Democrats, especially Obama, it is almost like a sin or a crime to question his religious background.

#600440 - 09/01/08 10:32 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Oh I think you're right. It's more than just coincidence. The timing is intentional, no doubt. To answer your question about me, yes, I would be what the media would call a "born again Christian" or an "evangelical". Do I hate Mormons? Not at all. Super-duper nice people. Just like I don't hate Muslims. I do, however, unapologetically and passionately disagree with the hateful doctrine of Islam. It is a warfare-based, hate-fueled religion. It is what its founders intended it to be. Ever looked deeper into Rastafarianism? It's not in any way the "peace, love and ganja" crap that Bob Marley sang about. Three of the central tenets of Rasta are essentially "hate whitey" "take from whitey" and "kill whitey if you have the chance". Mormonism, is preached and even acted out as a peaceful religion. But study its founding doctrine, and you will quickly see a hateful, paranoid, racist religion. Like I said, truth is truth no matter when it's revealed.
Well, I've had more contact with Rasta's here in NY and most of it wasn't exactly pleasant. It was in a former professional manner.

I'm not saying that it is bad to look at Mormonism when a guy tries to gain political power here in this country. I'm just wondering why powerful Democrats can be Mormons and no one mentions it. When a Republican sticks his head up, it becomes an issue.

With Romney, everyone seems to focus on his religion. Maybe we should be doing that. What I don't understand is the fact that with the Democrats, especially Obama, it is almost like a sin or a crime to question his religious background.[/b]
That probably has to do with the fact that 1) he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word "go," and 2) the media pretty much thinks he's the Second Coming, and he can do no wrong in their eyes. The guy's a consummate politician.

I wasn't around back then, but from what I've read and seen on documentaries, there was a significant ruckus when JFK was running because he was the first non-protestant. He turned out to be pretty good... as long as you discount the whole adultery thing... :rolleyes:

#600441 - 09/01/08 11:15 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

[b]Oh I think you're right. It's more than just coincidence. The timing is intentional, no doubt. To answer your question about me, yes, I would be what the media would call a "born again Christian" or an "evangelical". Do I hate Mormons? Not at all. Super-duper nice people. Just like I don't hate Muslims. I do, however, unapologetically and passionately disagree with the hateful doctrine of Islam. It is a warfare-based, hate-fueled religion. It is what its founders intended it to be. Ever looked deeper into Rastafarianism? It's not in any way the "peace, love and ganja" crap that Bob Marley sang about. Three of the central tenets of Rasta are essentially "hate whitey" "take from whitey" and "kill whitey if you have the chance". Mormonism, is preached and even acted out as a peaceful religion. But study its founding doctrine, and you will quickly see a hateful, paranoid, racist religion. Like I said, truth is truth no matter when it's revealed.

With Romney, everyone seems to focus on his religion. Maybe we should be doing that. What I don't understand is the fact that with the Democrats, especially Obama, it is almost like a sin or a crime to question his religious background.[/b]
That probably has to do with the fact that 1) he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word "go," and 2) the media pretty much thinks he's the Second Coming, and he can do no wrong in their eyes. The guy's a consummate politician.

I wasn't around back then, but from what I've read and seen on documentaries, there was a significant ruckus when JFK was running because he was the first non-protestant. He turned out to be pretty good... as long as you discount the whole adultery thing... :rolleyes: [/b]
Hey you would Poke Norma too

#600442 - 09/01/08 11:20 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QUOTE]Hey you would Poke Norma too[/QB]
No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).

#600443 - 09/01/08 12:00 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

I'm not a big Romney fan. I don't know what to make of him.

However, I was never under the impression that the media likes him all that much.

Now, Huckabee... the media seems to be making a concerted effort at pushing him on the Republican electorate. That's probably because they know the Democrats can beat him in November.

#600444 - 09/01/08 12:17 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

I meant my last comments to be regarding Barack, not Mitt. Sorry about the confusion.

Honestly, I think every single one of the Republicans in this election are all "also-rans". I don't think a single one of them can overcome the Billary / Obama machines, and Ron Paul is just enough of a factor to work to take votes away from the only potential Republican candidates. Add to that a general national disgust with the current administration and a deep desire because of that disgust to try anything other than a conservative Republican. The Dems have it in the bag. God help us.

#600445 - 09/01/08 07:37 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[QUOTE]Hey you would Poke Norma too
No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).[/QB]
***Not defending JFK or his actions***

But, what the fuck does his fidelity have to do with him doing his job?

#600446 - 09/01/08 08:32 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
While I don't disagree with your second assertion, your first assertion is that "he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word 'go'". Can you cite your source for this information? I'm having a hard time finding it.

#600447 - 10/01/08 03:42 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
But study its founding doctrine, and you will quickly see a hateful, paranoid, racist religion.
You just summed up every single religion on the planet.

*ducks for cover*

#600448 - 10/01/08 09:52 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Brigham Young had a hitman as a right-hand man. This guy (can't remember his name) was at the center of this massacre. Insane
Rockwell? Was that his name, the so called enforcer of the early mormons?

What this massacre almost certianly did do was increase the fears settlers had of native american attacks, which may have lead to more indians killed in the frontier days.

What the mormon church did about it was also very telling - they knew damn well then what happened and suppressed or outright destroyed evidence and claimed no involvement. Only recently did they admit to a role in the massacre.

Mormons scare me - nice people, but they believe some whacky shite.

#600449 - 10/01/08 09:52 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).
And if Jackie had been doin' her job, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Like Bob Goulet once said to me, "Nigga, it's a hungry dog that turn over the trash." And I never questioned Goulet.

Shit, I messed that up. It wasn't Goulet, it was Ike Turner that said that. Goulet said that if a black chick ever finds out you banged her sister, tell her that when she said she was her sister, you thought it was a "African unity thang".

Or was that James Lipton? Jesus, I gotta quit drinkin'.

#600450 - 10/01/08 09:57 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Indians were terrorists? hmm interesting. Would you not try and aggressivley defend your land, food, and family from foreign invaders?
Just curious, has nothing to do with the mountain meadow incident, but how come when the indians won it was considered a "massacre" and when the whites one it was a "battle"?

At any rate Under the Banner of Heaven was a captivating book and was quite the eye opener for me. I'd recommend it to anyone.

#600451 - 10/01/08 10:20 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:
Quote:
[b]No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).
And if Jackie had been doin' her job, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Like Bob Goulet once said to me, "Nigga, it's a hungry dog that turn over the trash." And I never questioned Goulet.

Shit, I messed that up. It wasn't Goulet, it was Ike Turner that said that. Goulet said that if a black chick ever finds out you banged her sister, tell her that when she said she was her sister, you thought it was a "African unity thang".

Or was that James Lipton? Jesus, I gotta quit drinkin'.[/b]
[Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing]

#600452 - 10/01/08 10:40 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).[/b]

But, what the fuck does his fidelity have to do with him doing his job?[/QB]
Disagree with me if you want on this one, but to me, a President is, in addition to being Commander in Chief, a role model. Kids say they want to be President when they grow up. They don't say, "I want to cheat on my wife and lie about it to the whole nation". They want to be the President because he seems like a good guy, a man with morals and convictions, and who does good things for his nation and the people in it. Cheating on your wife, regardless of whatever childish things some in here might say about it, is immoral and destructive behavior. It ruins marriages and families. So to answer your question, a man's true integrity is measured not when he's in the public eye, but when he's alone. If he's willing to cheat on his wife, you know, "just a little booty on the side, no big deal" then how can you at all assume he won't cheat elsewhere when the stakes are much, much higher?

#600453 - 10/01/08 12:49 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
NY Madman Offline

It's interesting that the thread went from Mormons to Clinton to JFK.

Here is what JFK had to say about the Mormons in a Salt lake City speech in 1963. Most likely the audience was all Mormon....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2NEC054O26g

Following that speech, JFK noted that Utah Mormon women have bigger tits than Missouri Mormon women. He also invited some Mormon babes back to his hotel room for some Church of Latter Day Booty. wink

#600454 - 10/01/08 01:25 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It's interesting that the thread went from Mormons to Clinton to JFK.
I was thinking the same thing. Weird. Guess it was the Mitt factor.

#600455 - 10/01/08 02:10 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
No, I'd keep my pants zipped and do my freaking job, and then go home to my hot wife (Jackie was a hottie).[/b]

But, what the fuck does his fidelity have to do with him doing his job?[/b]
Disagree with me if you want on this one, but to me, a President is, in addition to being Commander in Chief, a role model. Kids say they want to be President when they grow up. They don't say, "I want to cheat on my wife and lie about it to the whole nation". They want to be the President because he seems like a good guy, a man with morals and convictions, and who does good things for his nation and the people in it. Cheating on your wife, regardless of whatever childish things some in here might say about it, is immoral and destructive behavior. It ruins marriages and families. So to answer your question, a man's true integrity is measured not when he's in the public eye, but when he's alone. If he's willing to cheat on his wife, you know, "just a little booty on the side, no big deal" then how can you at all assume he won't cheat elsewhere when the stakes are much, much higher?
I was going to argue with you but there's no point, I choose to disagree with you.

#600456 - 10/01/08 02:31 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I was going to argue with you but there's no point, I choose to disagree with you.

bummer.

#600457 - 11/01/08 05:01 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]That probably has to do with the fact that 1) he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word "go," and 2) the media pretty much thinks he's the Second Coming, and he can do no wrong in their eyes. The guy's a consummate politician.
While I don't disagree with your second assertion, your first assertion is that "he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word 'go'". Can you cite your source for this information? I'm having a hard time finding it.[/b]
And a bummer still you haven't answered this question, rift.

#600458 - 11/01/08 05:42 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]That probably has to do with the fact that 1) he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word "go," and 2) the media pretty much thinks he's the Second Coming, and he can do no wrong in their eyes. The guy's a consummate politician.
While I don't disagree with your second assertion, your first assertion is that "he's openly admitted he's a practicing Muslim from the word 'go'". Can you cite your source for this information? I'm having a hard time finding it.[/b]
And a bummer still you haven't answered this question, rift.[/b]
Ah thanks Shahram. I missed that one entirely. I'll get back to y'all.

#600459 - 11/01/08 05:51 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well okay... I'm not a man who's above admitting I'm wrong. I can't find where I heard that statement. It's like it's just vanished. But I did find something that apparently refutes my claim directly. Although I will say, these words are not from B-Boy himself. Here's the quote...

"Obama regularly attends church while on the campaign trail, but seldom with reporters watching. He is known to invoke religious references in his speeches and has said he has a "personal relationship" with Jesus Christ. He often has said that religion has a place in public life and that faith and politics are not exclusively the domain of conservatives."

So if that's the truth, and who the heck knows anymore, then he's a Christian. Then again, Sharpton and Jackson profess to be Christians too. I puke a little in my mouth every time I hear them start up with their "everyone's out to get the black man" crap again. :rolleyes:

That aside, if that quote I provided is true, then I'm dead wrong. I hope I am.

#600460 - 11/01/08 07:02 PM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Then again, Sharpton and Jackson profess to be Christians too.
In what way are Jackson and Sharpton not Christians?

#600461 - 12/01/08 08:26 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Then again, Sharpton and Jackson profess to be Christians too.
In what way are Jackson and Sharpton not Christians?[/b]
This has gone way beyond hijacking this thread. But anyway, I'll answer that by asking another question...

When was the last time (or any time for that matter) when you or anyone heard them speak of Jesus? I honestly cannot think of a single time for either man. And I have even watched a couple of Jackson's sermons in his church. Those men are politicians and activists, but not reverends. A reverend's job, as well as any Christian's job, is to point people to Jesus. Those men don't do that. Ever. All I ever hear from any of them is how whitey's holding the black man down. Puh-lease.

But to reconnect this back to Mormons... Mitt Romney, blah, blah, blah.

#600462 - 12/01/08 08:46 AM Re: September Dawn Mountain Meadow Massacre
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
I can't find where I heard that statement. It's like it's just vanished.
A crazy guess is that you watch Fox News, they have eluted to this forever, though it's nore remotely true.

http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/11/12/obama_is_a_committed_christian.php

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal