2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#603006 - 12/02/08 01:31 PM Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone been checking their new rebel out??!!!

They finally included a spot metering, a 3" lcd screen, beefed up the fps continuing shooting, and upped the mega pixels to 12!!

Comes out on April 12, 2008. I will for sure be buying it!

Anyone else?!

Heres the new features found on canon's web-site.

Outstanding Image Quality: New Canon 12.2-megapixel CMOS sensor, DIGIC III Image Processor, 14-bit conversion for smooth tone, gradations, extensive noise reduction technology, and new Auto Optimization for superior highlight-shadow control.

Excellent performance with 3.5 fps continuous shooting, up to 53 full-resolution JPEGs or 6 RAW images in a burst, and reduced shutter lag time.

Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor, with 170° wide viewing angle, superior viewing in daylight, and Live View Function.

Fast 9-point AF system, and two types of AF during Live View Function.

Compatible with compact SD and SDHC memory cards.

New advanced features include spot metering, external flash settings on the camera’s menu, and a new higher-magnification viewfinder.

Fully compatible with over 60 EF/EF-S Lenses and a wide range of EOS System accessories.

#603007 - 12/02/08 04:56 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I don't know about that Canon, but I got to play with a Nikon D3 (NOT D300) this weekend and all I can say is...hoooooooollllllllllllllllllllly shit.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#603008 - 12/02/08 05:05 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
I don't know about that Canon, but I got to play with a Nikon D3 (NOT D300) this weekend and all I can say is...hoooooooollllllllllllllllllllly shit.
Im sure that is a nice camera, but for the price tage (around $5000) it should be.

The new rebel is under $1000.

#603009 - 12/02/08 06:12 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
I have the original Digital Rebel. Had been thinking about the XTi and the 40D. Glad I waited because the XSi is as close to exactly what I'm looking for as I'm going to find, especially in that price range. [ThumbsUp]

#603010 - 12/02/08 06:20 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I never noticed that Canon's didn't have spot metering. That is something that I frequently use on my D70.... what took Canon so long to figure it out? wink

My roommate just picked up a used Nikon D200 from keh.com. (they sell used gear) It sure is a huge upgrade from my D70 at a pretty darned good price ($800 used). I can only imagine what a D300 or D3 feels like..... So Mobycat - I'm jealous that you got to play with one.

As for the new Canon Rebel - If the upgrades over the XTi are really that important to you - then go for it. Otherwise, you might want to consider an XTi instead cause expect the prices to drop once the xSi becomes widely available.

Personally - I never liked the cheap plastic feel of the Canon Rebel series (I prefer the robust build and logical ergonomics of Nikons) But they produce very good images and are extremely competitive in their price range. I know some pros who use them and they are very happy. (spend your money on lenses, not on bodies)

#603011 - 12/02/08 06:24 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

The XTI kits are selling sub $600 now. I wondered why the sudden price drop recently. Before Christmas they were still up around $800.

Love my XTI - taken about 4,000 pics now with her without any problems. Also love my 70-300 IS Canon Lens.

#603012 - 12/02/08 07:13 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
The XTI kits are selling sub $600 now. I wondered why the sudden price drop recently. Before Christmas they were still up around $800.

Love my XTI - taken about 4,000 pics now with her without any problems. Also love my 70-300 IS Canon Lens.
They dropped because the newer version is about to come out.

My price range is under $1000. I'm no pro, but I love to shoot pictures in all kinds of settings, and I need a camera that is lighting fast with automatic features so shoot those "once in a lifetime pictures."

On the flip side, I need one that I can play with the features so I can use it to the fullest capabilities when I'm out in Mother Nature.

I like Nikon as well, but damn, most of the ones I would want are over $1000!

#603013 - 12/02/08 07:16 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Quote:
My D3 should be in my hands by the end of the week. laugh

#603014 - 12/02/08 07:53 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
The Digital Rebels have always been a good camera for the money.
I was given one as a loaner when my Canon 1D went in for service.
The 3.5 fps is painful when you're used to 8.5fps. But the pix and overall size and weight were definitely more than adequate considering it wasn't mine.
I'm glad I used it for my Mt.Washington hike.
Almost dropped it on numerous occassions.
I would have cried if I dropped the 1D.

Good luck.
The New D-rebels are definitely getting better features. laugh

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#603015 - 12/02/08 11:31 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
KJ_dragon Offline

According the Kenrockwell.com - the D40 was just selling for $460!!!!! recently.

He's a strong advocate of the D40 over many of other cameras currently out there.

#603016 - 13/02/08 03:37 AM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
Personally - I never liked the cheap plastic feel of the Canon Rebel series (I prefer the robust build and logical ergonomics of Nikons) But they produce very good images and are extremely competitive in their price range.
It may feel cheap but for five years I've used my original Rebel from the back yard to places like Alaska and New Zealand, and in all kinds of conditions. It's held up perfectly.

Obviously Nikon makes fine cameras, but choosing a particular brand is such an investment in compatible gear and lenses that once you do it, it's tough to switch. And that's besides how foreign it feels at first to use another brand when you're so used to what you use.

There is one thing I really dislike about the Rebel series - the stupid marketing name. Just give it a number and a letter like everywhere else. (For those unaware, the Digital Rebel is called the 300D and the XTi is the 400D outside the U.S.) I don't know why that annoys me but it does.

#603017 - 13/02/08 10:59 AM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The D3 is supposed to be amazing.

My ex-GF is a professional photographer and got the D300 for Christmas and she says its pretty nice as well. Her dad is sponsored by Nikon so they get a pretty awesome discount.

#603018 - 13/02/08 03:57 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Me too smile

#603019 - 13/02/08 04:42 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
He's a strong advocate of the D40 over many of other cameras currently out there.
Sure, it's a great camera - if you don't ever take any pictures inside...

The upgrade to the Rebel is a worthy one - and for the money it's an excellent value. Even with the new Rebel, I'm still more then happy with my 40D - the controls alone are worth it to me. In the Rebels for several settings (like ISO) you have to go into the menus/LCD on the camera - with the 40D everything is available from buttons and the two dials - you don't have to take your eye from the viewfinder in order to change just about any setting. I've taken a class with both the Rebel and my 40D, and the advantages of the 40D's controls are VERY apparent when you have both and are doing the same thing with both bodies.

There are lots of other technical reasons why the 40D is still better - then again it costs almost double so that only makes sense... just depends on what you are looking for. If the 40D is in your price range, do yourself a favor and check it out. Don't just get dazzled with the specs of the Rebel - megapixels alone aren't the whole story wink

My only complaint with the 40D? It's not weather sealed. That is a bit of a pain, and at the price point I don't think it would have been too much to ask from Canon. The successor to the 40D will probably fix that - doesn't matter enough for me to upgrade, but it would have been nice.

#603020 - 13/02/08 08:17 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
KJ_dragon Offline

Expect weather sealing to be a more standard feature in consumer level DSLRs. The D200 was "First" with weathersealing in a sub-$2K camera. Now Pentax is offering it in a sub-$1K camera! (The K200D, I think)

#603021 - 13/02/08 10:19 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
The Digital Rebels have always been a good camera for the money.
I was given one as a loaner when my Canon 1D went in for service.
The 3.5 fps is painful when you're used to 8.5fps.
So true, after using my 1D MKII, I picked up a friend's 20D (which I also had for a while) and man, it felt so slow even with 5fps. smile

Quote:

I'm glad I used it for my Mt.Washington hike.
Almost dropped it on numerous occassions.
I would have cried if I dropped the 1D.
laugh
How about someone dropped a rented 600/F4 IS eek .. $7k down the water.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=451992

#603022 - 15/02/08 10:40 PM Re: Canon EOS Rebel XSi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
According the Kenrockwell.com - the D40 was just selling for $460!!!!! recently.

I got mine in Hong Kong for around that price the past Christmas. And I love it!

They had the Rebel, a Pentax entry level camera, and the D40.

The D40 was more solidly built, better looking, and with a better interface than the other two.

I wish the D40 came with some sort of anti-shake feature... If I want that I'd have to buy a separate lense.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal