2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#611159 - 11/11/07 02:27 PM Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just purchased airline tickets & was offered carbon offsets for the flight. $25 worth to offset the fuel burned on the plane. I have also seen carbon offsets as gift cards. The elite liberals seem to know where to buy them, as it is their excuse for not practicing what they preach.

Who is doing the offsets? What is my carbon allowance? And how can I sell my excess?

#611160 - 11/11/07 03:14 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There seem to be a lot of people selling offsets.

You can calculate you carbon allowance here.

If you want to generate excess "credits" to sell to people, all you have to do is start planting trees. [Freak]

#611161 - 11/11/07 03:29 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by B.:

If you want to generate excess "credits" to sell to people, all you have to do is start planting trees. [Freak]
I think I might have a negative balance since I'm getting 12 MPG.... Guess I better start planting trees [Freak]

#611162 - 11/11/07 04:42 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Why don't they just skip the offset and fly commercial instead of private jet.

#611163 - 11/11/07 05:08 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Why don't they just skip the offset and fly commercial instead of private jet.
Because what good is being "elite" if you have to travel in cramped quarters with the scum of the earth...er your constituents?

#611164 - 11/11/07 05:38 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They're a scam.

Don't waste your money.

#611165 - 11/11/07 05:57 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
They're a scam.

Don't waste your money.
I figured the were a scam, but I want to sell offsets to suckers.

#611166 - 11/11/07 07:21 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Sounds like a total scam to me. If you really care about this sort of thing then just make some changes in your life to minimize energy use where you can and plant a tree from time to time.... and vote for the tree huggers I guess.

#611167 - 11/11/07 08:36 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]They're a scam.

Don't waste your money.
I figured the were a scam, but I want to sell offsets to suckers.[/b]
The business model is built and in place on the website I linked. Plant a tree for $19 to offset 730 kg of your customer's CO2, not to mention "create a brighter future for orphans and people living with HIV / AIDS". [Freak]

#611168 - 12/11/07 01:39 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I just purchased airline tickets & was offered carbon offsets for the flight. $25 worth to offset the fuel burned on the plane. I have also seen carbon offsets as gift cards. The elite liberals seem to know where to buy them, as it is their excuse for not practicing what they preach.

Who is doing the offsets? What is my carbon allowance? And how can I sell my excess?
It's a complete scam. Don't EVER waste your money on anything like carbon offsets.

It should be illegal for companies like airlines to even offer such things.

Carbon offsets are being compared to the practice of purchasing indulgences during the Middle Ages. It is a modern scam perpetrated on fears of guilt revolving around the global warming scam, which is itself a fraud.

There is absolutely no way to verify anything involving these so-called carbon offsets. What you are doing is giving your money away to fraudsters. It's a modern con game.

The whole carbon offset industry should be illegal because fraud and unaccountability are rampant.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/48e334ce-f355-11db-9845-000b5df10621.html

Also, for people who believe in this global warming scam and that carbon dioxide is so dangerous, the carbon offset people aren't doing anything to help the environment (That's even if the carbon offset people do anything. It's believed some keep the money and laugh all the way to the bank).

A plane puts it's carbon into the atmosphere immediately. It takes years for a tree planted today to remove any significant amount of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Plus, trees store the carbon dioxide which will eventually be released again when the tree dies and rots. It could also be released if the tree is eventually used for firewood and is burned.

The whole notion of carbon offsets is a scam designed to make some people rich off of another scam called man made global warming.

#611169 - 12/11/07 03:39 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is catching on. I am hearing All State Insurance ads now offering carbon offsets with your premiums.

#611170 - 12/11/07 03:43 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
(That's even if the carbon offset people do anything. It's believed some keep the money and laugh all the way to the bank).
I want to be the one laughing all the way to the bank taking these fool's money. I can go plant seedlings in the national forest here to make it look legit. I assume I wouldn't have the responsibility to make sure a deer doesn't eat it. So when the regulators ask were my trees are, I can go to the forrest, point where they were & blame deer for eating the trees I "planted".

#611171 - 12/11/07 03:54 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
It is catching on. I am hearing All State Insurance ads now offering carbon offsets with your premiums.
Is Allstate really doing that? It sounds like some state Attorney Generals need to start doing some investigating.

Quote:

Quote:
[b](That's even if the carbon offset people do anything. It's believed some keep the money and laugh all the way to the bank).
I want to be the one laughing all the way to the bank taking these fool's money. I can go plant seedlings in the national forest here to make it look legit. I assume I wouldn't have the responsibility to make sure a deer doesn't eat it. So when the regulators ask were my trees are, I can go to the forrest, point where they were & blame deer for eating the trees I "planted".[/b]
Regulators? I don't think any government agency is regulating the carbon offset scam industry. I don't see any major government investigations on either the state or federal level either.

That is why the scam is growing.

#611172 - 12/11/07 05:09 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Kaiser Offline

We should send this money to the mexican drug cartels so they can plant coca plants for carbon offsets laugh

#611173 - 12/11/07 09:26 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Is Allstate really doing that? It sounds like some state Attorney Generals need to start doing some investigating.
Looks like just Ohio & Colorado allow this scam

http://www.allstate.com/green/green-easy-pay.aspx

#611174 - 13/11/07 09:06 AM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

The Guy from Boston discusses Global Warming....

...WARNING... (Audio is not work safe unless you are a Teamster. Lower the volume just in case)

#611175 - 13/11/07 09:47 AM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Carbon Offsets= New Federal Tax mad

#611176 - 13/11/07 10:22 AM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
From ESPN...

Those Hollywood Searchlights Around Gore's Home Sure Eat Power: Gore wasn't the first quack to win the Nobel Peace Prize, and history suggests he will not be the last. Gore spent eight years in the White House, and in that time took no meaningful action regarding greenhouse gases. The Clinton-Gore administration did not raise fuel economy standards for cars and trucks or propose domestic carbon trading. Though Clinton and Gore made a great show of praising the Kyoto Protocol, they refused even to submit the treaty to the Senate for consideration, let alone push for ratification. During his 2000 run for the presidency, Gore said little about climate change or binding global-warming reforms. In the White House and during his presidential campaign, Gore advocated no consequential action regarding greenhouse gases; then, there was a political cost attached. Once Gore was out of power and global-warming proposals no longer carried a political cost -- indeed, could be used for self-promotion -- suddenly Gore discovered his intense desire to demand that other leaders do what he had not! It is a triumph of postmodernism that Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize for no specific accomplishment other than making a movie of self-praise. Gore caused no peace nor led any reconciliation of belligerent parties nor performed any service to the dispossessed, the achievements the Peace Prize was created to honor. All Gore did was promote himself from Hollywood, and for this, he gets a Nobel. Very postmodern.

First person ever to win the Nobel Prize for Self-Promotional Hectoring.
An annoying complication of Gore's Nobel is that few realize the award was given jointly to him and to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, an organization well worthy of distinction. The IPCC is a group of scientists who have spent two decades studying climate change in obscurity, and in many cases without pay. The IPCC's efforts have been selfless, motivated only by concern for society. Had the Nobel Peace Prize gone solely to the IPCC, it would have been a great day.

An astonishing measure of how out-of-touch the Norwegian Nobel Committee seems is that it gave a prize to Gore for hectoring others about energy consumption in the same year it was revealed that Gore, at his home, uses 20 times the national power average. Gore's extraordinary power waste equates to about 377,000 pounds of greenhouse gases annually, or about 20 Hummer Years worth of global warming pollution. (A Hummer Year, TMQ's metric of environmental hypocrisy, is the amount of carbon dioxide emitted in a typical year of driving a Hummer.) When his utility bill made the news -- though apparently not in Oslo -- Gore responded by saying he buys carbon offsets. That takes you back to the offset problem: All offsets do is prevent greenhouse gas accumulation from increasing. If you really believe there will be a global calamity unless greenhouse gas emissions are reduced 80 percent, as Gore told the Live Earth crowd, you would buy offsets and cut your own energy use. Instead, Gore flies around in fossil-fuel-intensive jet aircraft telling others: Do as I say, not as I do!

After news of Gore's personal energy consumption broke, Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider told The Associated Press the utility bill was justified because "Al and Tipper both work out of their home." This raises the question -- what kind of work are they doing? Perhaps reanimating Frankenstein; in Frankenstein movies, there is always a lot of electricity crackling wastefully about.

#611177 - 13/11/07 10:53 AM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Kaiser Offline

So let me get this straight....

to the average American, God is real and he's sitting up there tallying our good deeds and our sins... but global warming is totally fake. [Huh?]

check, please.

#611178 - 13/11/07 11:00 AM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

So let me get this straight....

to the average American, God is real and he's sitting up there tallying our good deeds and our sins... but global warming is totally fake. [Huh?]

check, please.
No. Not exactly.

Global warming is real. Global cooling is real. Both are normal and part of the planet's weather cycle.

What is not real is the political fraud that is currently being perpetrated.

#611179 - 13/11/07 01:06 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Al Gore is just promoting himself through his "Global Warming" ideals.

Giving him a Nobel Peace Prize is the biggest load of shit I have heard in a long time.

#611180 - 13/11/07 03:09 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LightZephyrX:

I think Al Gore is just promoting himself through his "Global Warming" ideals.
That is true, but the real truth is far worse and much more nefarious than most people realize.

Al Gore's global warming activities involve far more than any concern about climate or the planet. He's no fool. He knows what he is doing. His motives are about money and control. It's about billions and billions of dollars.

The whole motivation of the global warming movement to get this country to sign international treaties that would force our government to implement mandatory carbon "cap and trade" regulations and set up government sanctioned "carbon exchanges" that would trade carbon as a commodity.

This would cost untold hundreds of billions of dollars to all the companies that would be forced into this regulation and carbon trading scheme. That cost would be paid by consumers in extremely high energy prices and high consumer good prices.

The largest beneficiaries of such new government and international regulations would be those that set up the investment companies, carbon trading exchanges, and the investment bankers that have underwritten these government mandated artificial market mechanisms. Al Gore, many of his friends, and numerous liberal organizations would reap billions of dollars of profit.

Al Gore several years back set up a company named Generation Investment Management with a former Goldman Sachs executive. It also involved several other Goldman executives including current Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. Gore's GIM is a UK company.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22663

Quote:
GIM appears to have considerable influence over the major carbon-credit trading firms that currently exist: the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX) in the U.S. and the Carbon Neutral Company (CNC) in Great Britain. CCX is the only firm in the U.S. that claims to trade carbon credits.
Quote:
Clearly, GIM is poised to cash in on carbon trading. The membership of CCX is currently voluntary. But if the day ever comes when federal government regulations require greenhouse-gas emitters -- and that's almost everyone -- to participate in cap-and-trade, then those who have created a market for the exchange of carbon credits are in a position to control the outcomes. And that moves Al Gore front and center.
Quote:
We do know that Goldman Sachs has commissioned the World Resources Institute (affiliated with CCX), Resources for the Future, and the Woods Hole Research Center to research policy options for U.S. regulation of greenhouse gases. In 2006, Goldman Sachs provided research grants in this area totaling $2.3 million. The firm also has committed $1 billion to carbon-assets projects, a fancy term for projects that generate energy from sources other than oil and gas. In October 2006, Morgan Stanley committed to invest $3 billion in carbon-assets projects. Citigroup entered the emissions-trading market in May, and Bank of America got in on the action in June.
Now, on Monday Al Gore announced a new deal with the largest venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers....

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20071112/D8SS9V580.html

Quote:
"Al Gore announced Monday he's joining Silicon Valley's most prestigious venture capital firm to guide investments that help combat global warming."

"Also Monday, Kleiner Perkins partner John Doerr announced he's joining the advisory board of Generation Investment Management, the $1 billion investment firm that Gore founded with David Blood, who previously managed $325 billion in assets out of Goldman Sachs' London office. Doerr is one of Silicon Valley's most outspoken clean-tech advocates."
Al Gore has set himself up to be a hub of global warming related investment strategies and carbon offset schemes. He has also set himself up to reap untold millions off of any government mandated global warming regulations that he lobbies for such as "cap and trade" schemes.

Al Gore and many influential people are laying the groundwork here to make billions of dollars off of forced government intervention and regulations pushing a global warming agenda that will do nothing to change anything other than transfer wealth from the citizenry of this country to an elite few people, organizations and other nations (once UN Kyoto Treaty Protocols may possibly kick in if enacted).

That wealth will be ripped from the populace through extremely high energy prices that almost all energy companies will be required to pay through government mandated purchasing of carbon credits.

#611181 - 13/11/07 05:23 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

so if you want to make some money, invest in GIM now before this takes off?

#611182 - 13/11/07 05:37 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am so sick of all these people coming forward looking for a new handout. F'ing hypocrites. Everyone's always trying to buy their way out of something; now the politicos are trying to bribe the environment so they can hype their egos, ease their consciences (if they have them) and make $$ on top of it.

So, remind me again why politicians, regardless of their leanings, can't make do with the money/taxes they receive? We all have to work within our budgets; makes me want to puke.

#611183 - 13/11/07 07:27 PM Re: Carbon Offsets, Scam or Real?
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kavett:

so if you want to make some money, invest in GIM now before this takes off?
You can't invest in GIM. Well, not really.

Not unless you are an accredited professional investor or high net worth individual.

Gore's company, GIM also seems to have clients in "pooled" investment vehicles. It seems he's operating a "global warming hedge fund".

He collects fees from a percentage of assets under management. He collects performance based fees and he collects other negotiated fee arrangements.

According to the website, 5% of the fees collected go to a non-profit foundation also started by Gore called The Generation Foundation. No doubt much of that money is funneled to political lobbying of legislators to pass laws to create global warming carbon "cap and trade" scheme. (Non-profits and foundations are almost completely ignored to the point of virtually being unregulated in this country, and are mechanisms used for much unsavory activity)

By looking at GIM's recent SEC filing, it seems they have a number of shares in Proctor & Gamble. That company was, and probably still is, one of the biggest corporate polluters of toxic chemicals. It's a good stock, but it doesn't belong in an environmental investment portfolio...

SEC Link....

This guy Gore and his friends are using this fraud and government to attempt to pull off one of the biggest scams ever imagined in human history.

If he is successful, he and his friends will become billionaires many times over. Every cent of it will be siphoned right out of the pockets of every individual and business in the United States from young to old and both rich and poor.

I won't even bother discussing the other ramifications government regulation of carbon dioxide and mandatory "cap and trade" schemes will have on the overall economy of this country. It will be devastating. There isn't a single bit of economic activity in our society that isn't dependent on energy usage of some sort. Even a little kid's lemonade stand needs energy to make ice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal