shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 35 of 43 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#617925 - 11/01/07 07:09 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Seeing that this thread is now integral to the progress of humanity, I thought I would ask some questions and keep it going.

I noticed that many people in this thread, and on the board in general, live in or near the Chicago Metro Area.

A week or so ago there were news items about employees at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport reporting a UFO sighting above the airport. The news reports also said the employees were mad because no one took them seriously. [Freak] Since this thread has been largely airport related, it might be a good place to ask these questions.

-- Was this big news in the Chicago area?

-- Did anyone on this board see the UFO?

-- Does anyone on this board who lives in the area know anyone who saw the UFO?

-- Does anyone actually believe in UFO's?

It's not conveyor belt related, but it's airport related. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqJZ47mf24

#617926 - 11/01/07 08:37 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
You sure it was a UFO, not a Banana ? [LOL]

#617927 - 11/01/07 10:01 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

852 and counting. Can we get to 1000 and then save for prosperity.

#617928 - 11/01/07 10:10 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

#617929 - 11/01/07 10:15 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
You know Madman, I have been wondering the same thing. When the story broke, there was a Chicago Trib. reporter that was all over it. Now, nothing. What's the deal with that? It was a lead story on all the news reports and now it's burried.

Is the truth out there?

#617930 - 11/01/07 11:05 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunx:
You know Madman, I have been wondering the same thing. When the story broke, there was a Chicago Trib. reporter that was all over it. Now, nothing. What's the deal with that? It was a lead story on all the news reports and now it's burried.

Is the truth out there?
I don't know. I too was wondering why the story disappeared quickly. But then again, how much mileage can a news outlet get from a UFO sighting? Not much unless they are some cheesy tabloid.

I personally don't think there are UFO's, but there is no way to know for sure.

If aliens are coming here, I'm sure someone will spin it as they are only taking the jobs Americans don't want to do. smile

#617931 - 11/01/07 11:09 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
If aliens are coming here, I'm sure someone will spin it as they are only taking the jobs Americans don't want to do. smile
You mean like the Goobacks on South Park? smile

They took our jobs

#617932 - 11/01/07 11:18 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunx:
[b]You know Madman, I have been wondering the same thing. When the story broke, there was a Chicago Trib. reporter that was all over it. Now, nothing. What's the deal with that? It was a lead story on all the news reports and now it's burried.

Is the truth out there?
I don't know. I too was wondering why the story disappeared quickly. But then again, how much mileage can a news outlet get from a UFO sighting? Not much unless they are some cheesy tabloid.

I personally don't think there are UFO's, but there is no way to know for sure.

If aliens are coming here, I'm sure someone will spin it as they are only taking the jobs Americans don't want to do. smile [/b]
Too Funny, [LOL] . Chock another one up for the Conspiracy Theorists. :rolleyes:

#617933 - 11/01/07 11:49 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:

Too Funny, [LOL] . Chock another one up for the Conspiracy Theorists. :rolleyes:
While we are on the topic of conspiracy theorists and UFO's .... have you ever read anything about the UFO crowd and what they believe in?

These people are already out in outer space. They have all kinds of different races of alien beings they claim are visiting the earth.

Some look like humans with blonde hair. Some are little gray people. Some are reptilian creatures that are warlike. I can't remember but I think the lizards are supposed to be at war with the other aliens. [Freak]

Yes... these people are allowed to vote and drive cars too. [Huh?]

#617934 - 11/01/07 01:20 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

NY Madman - those nuts you mentioned all live in NW Nevada. Kind of creepy.

But seriously - while driving through the desert out side of LV, we passed by Nellis. I thought we were being tracked by some type of something, saw lasers and light streaks-then got buzzed by some type of aircraft. So loud it make my stomach hurt. It was so cool, we pulled over and watched.

#617935 - 11/01/07 01:43 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:

[b]Too Funny, [LOL] . Chock another one up for the Conspiracy Theorists. :rolleyes:
While we are on the topic of conspiracy theorists and UFO's .... have you ever read anything about the UFO crowd and what they believe in?

These people are already out in outer space. They have all kinds of different races of alien beings they claim are visiting the earth.

Some look like humans with blonde hair. Some are little gray people. Some are reptilian creatures that are warlike. I can't remember but I think the lizards are supposed to be at war with the other aliens. [Freak]

Yes... these people are allowed to vote and drive cars too. [Huh?] [/b]
Yeah, I tried to watch one of those UFO shows the other night, with abductions, Lizzard Aliens, implants, mind control, etc. but it was just too stupid to continue watching. Funny thing is, I used to be interested and somewhat believed some of that stuff. Now I look at it with "Where's the PROOF?" mentality and cannot entertain the notion when there are too many other things that are much more important, laundry, playing with the 2yrold, NEED FOR SPEED, XOC, planning the next OR trip, etc.

Maybe someday I'll get back into it, but until I see one (Alien, Mothership, etc.) it just doesn't hold onto my imagination anymore.

Now if the UFO where on a treadmill that matches it's speed exactly, can it fly?

Wait, let me help the CF'rs, YES, Duh! Unidentified Flying Object! laugh

#617936 - 11/01/07 02:34 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The above psi and diameter rule of thumb does not always apply.

For example, to take it to the logical extreme to have proof of concept...

I have a 27" bicycle 1" wide racing tire tire, and a 27" truck tire...i put 30 psi in each, and load on 2,000 lb.

The bike tire contact patch is as flat and wide as its going to get, with a full inch of tread width by about a full inch of tread length, or, about 1 square inch of tread contact.

The truck tire will have perhaps a 8-10" wide patch, and it wil be MORE than 1/8" long...disproving the concept.

If you LOOK at the tread patterns of typical truck tires...and hold them side by side.....the taller tire has a longer tread patch than the shorter tire, and the fatter tire has a fatter tread patch.

Now, when we compare different aspect ratios...the tread change does do the length to width orientation flip shown.
If the bike tire is as wide as it will get then there are two possibilities
  • the PSI in the tire is perfectly balanced with the weight it is supporting and has the maximum width possible without the rim hitting the ground
    Or
  • The rim of the bike tire is supporting some of the weight because there is not enough air (aka high enough psi) to support the load.

Hint: the simpler solution is the answer. And because bikes with 1" wide tires only have 1" of sidewall...

If the bike tire has a contact patch of 1 in^2 then the air in the tire is only supporting ~30lbs of the weight, the rim of the wheel is supporting the rest. in order to support 2000 lbs with 1 in^2 of surface area, the psi needs to be ~2000psi = 2000lbs/1 in^2 so really the example with the bike tire doesn't apply at all. of course it all depends on how many tires you have, I'm assuming you mean the 2000 lbs to be placed on one tire.

If you had a load of 2000lbs in a tire with 30psi you would need 66 2/3 in^2 , if you have a contact area that is 8-10" wide you'd have a contact length of 8 1/3"- 6 2/6". Now if the 27" truck tire had 2000psi in it then the contact patch would be 1/8"-1/10" long

If the air in the tire is not supporting all the load placed on it (remember psi is a function of weight and surface area) then something else other than the air in the tire is supporting the load. All force vectors must cancel out for an object to be stationary.

BTW if we really wanted to send this thread to ALR or never let it die you only need to mention 1 person and one 1 club...

#617937 - 11/01/07 03:11 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Fun

#617938 - 12/01/07 08:13 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

So if you put an illegal space alien on a treadmill, would it be able to float across the Rio Grande?

#617939 - 13/01/07 10:31 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

bump

#617940 - 13/01/07 11:54 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Must....keep....alive....

[Too much XOC]

#617941 - 13/01/07 11:56 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
So if you put an illegal space alien on a treadmill, would it be able to float across the Rio Grande?
Only if the force of water resistance is smaller than the force of forward propulsion by means of a diet of beer, brats and cabbage, resulting in extreme flatulence, providing the thrust needed if aimed correctly.

#617942 - 14/01/07 05:03 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
NY Madman Offline

"It's a cookbook..."

"It's a COOKBOOK"

[LOL] [Wave]

#617943 - 14/01/07 06:09 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Go Saints!

#617944 - 14/01/07 06:21 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

[b]"It's a cookbook..."

"It's a COOKBOOK"

[LOL] [Wave] [/b]
[LOL] [LOL]

#617945 - 14/01/07 08:17 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
No. The Rio Grand has less water in it than a bathtub (unless it rained that day)...

#617946 - 14/01/07 08:38 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends how far north you are... In Albuquerque there is no way you are driving across the Rio Grande.

#617947 - 14/01/07 01:13 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Depends how far north you are... In Albuquerque there is no way you are driving across the Rio Grande.
But I bet you could treadmill it accross.

#617948 - 14/01/07 09:32 PM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Yep

#617949 - 15/01/07 12:44 AM Re: Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist
Anonymous
Unregistered

is the treadmill equipped with the necessary safety features; or does one need to override them to use it as a raft?

Page 35 of 43 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 42 43 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal