shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#625811 - 08/08/06 11:13 AM Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
GrayHam Offline

Okay . . .

I currently use CDEX to rip all my CDs to my computer's harddrive.

I prefer CDEX for the CDDB utility (it accesses an online database to populate track information for each album. Other ripping software had weird issues about that).

However, it is a terribly slow process. How is it for others?

I find that, on average, a 10-song CD takes as long as 10 to 15 minutes to rip.

Is it a limitation in my system's memory that is slowing the process down? (It's a limited home system, and I do need to upgrade the RAM). I don't recall that WinMP was any quicker, so I don't think it's CDEX itself causing the issue . . .

Are other people just having to grin-and-bear it, like me? Or am I just the (un)lucky one?

How quickly are you able to rip YOUR CDs?

#625812 - 08/08/06 11:31 AM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Using Windows media player it takes about 2-3 minutes on my machines.

( machine #1 has 1.8ghz AMD with 1024 RAM)
( machine #2 has 2.4ghz Intel with 512 RAM)

If that helps to give you a barometer. Chosing the quality of the rip would also probably affect the speed. I usually use 44.1 hz.

#625813 - 08/08/06 12:15 PM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Doesn't the CD-ROM read speed also determine the rip time?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#625814 - 08/08/06 12:36 PM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
I have an AMD Athlon 3200 with 1gig of ram, and using Windows Media Player 11 beta, I rip a 15 track cd in maybe 3 minutes....

#625815 - 08/08/06 03:30 PM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
When you say the process is slow, is the ripping process slow or is the "populate the data" part slow.

I have not heard of this service and just started ripping my CD collection to MP#. I've had to manually enter the song name and artist for each track, then for album name and genre I do it for the first track then it populates on its own for the rest before I rip.

Just using Windows Media Player v10.

#625816 - 08/08/06 04:10 PM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not the program's fault it's slow, it is probably the settings you are using.

I use LAME 3.97 Beta 2 with --alt-preset Fast Extreme and VBR 2. Then I adjust the bitrate max and min to whatever the source dictates.

The rest is CPU power. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) and it can do a full CD in about 5 minutes. And that's with copying the CD audio to the hard drive first as WAV and then converting. Ram is 1 GB dual channel

#625817 - 08/08/06 11:48 PM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Look into a plugin called "Cyberlink" for Windows Media Player. I think they have an eval version, but if not the plugin is like $15 or something like that. It also downloads song titles and album covers via the 'net, and the performance (at least for me) is excellent. A 45-60 minute CD takes about 2-3 minutes, tops, and about 10-20 seconds prior to the rip to download track titles.

I also rip at 256Kbps (as opposed to the standard 128Kbps), so maybe that's why it takes less time? ? I run a 2.8 gig P4 dual core with an 800 Mhz FSB, and a gig of 800 Mhz dual channel ram, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Still, even on my laptop (which has about half the performance of my desktop and 1/4th the RAM) I can still rip a CD in 4-5 minutes using WMP.

#625818 - 09/08/06 02:35 AM Re: Ripping CD to mp3 files on harddrive
Anonymous
Unregistered

dbpoweramp, nuff said.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal