shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626096 - 11/06/07 09:26 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
[b] Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD high-definition player for $199
Only 720p/1080i output...[/b]
Not a huge deal. Most people w/ HDTV's don't have 1080p, anyways. Jackarse floor salesmen have been selling HD TV's for years, now, telling everyone there's no reason to get 1080p, 'cause nothing supports it... Oops...[/b]
I thought you were one of the people telling me not to worry about 1080p when I was looking? I ignored you, of course. laugh

#626097 - 11/06/07 10:08 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was. With the exception that IF you were planning on going HD DVD or Blue Ray, then get the 1080p. If not, then it's a waste of your $$, as no TV is broadcasted in 1080p, and most likely won't be.

:p

#626098 - 11/06/07 11:08 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
It still depends on your use (movies/games or just HDTV) and your eyes. Some people just cannot see the difference between 1080i and 1080p. It's a personal preference as far as I'm concerned and I don't think that's changed.

#626099 - 11/06/07 12:11 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It still depends on your use (movies/games or just HDTV) and your eyes. Some people just cannot see the difference between 1080i and 1080p. It's a personal preference as far as I'm concerned and I don't think that's changed.
I sort of agree as far as resolution itself goes. However, another factor to consider is that most of the 1080p sets are better for reasons other than resolution. Ie, better contrast ratios, video processing, etc. The TV I got (Sony SXRD) isn't even available in 720p/1080i.

#626100 - 11/06/07 12:50 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Bah...just plunk down the $1300 or so for the LG BH-100 and be done with it. laugh
Or you could be two stand alone players to less money, and better performance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
HD players may be cheaper, but their disks aren't. The average price on amazon is $40.60 on HD-DVD and $27.20 on blu-ray.
Completely false – they are both priced about the same.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Doc, my point is, it's CHEAPER to make a HD-DVD. But if you look at a retail store, the HD-DVD prices are the SAME as Blue-Ray.
Which player is cheaper?[/b]
HD-DVD players are.

Which digital music player is cheapest? An ipod or other?

Cheapness of the player doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it... If the media costs the same, the "cheaper" of the players only has that going for it. That's not enough to make it mainstream.

People that spend thousands on a TV & home stereo system don't give a rats difference between $250 for a bottom-of-the-line HD-DVD player vs. $500 for a Blue-Ray player. Price isn't going to be the driving factor for which one wins. But it could be a driving factor for which one doesn't win, as in, if price is the only thing going for HD-DVD (it is), good luck to 'em.

Let me give you an example:

I can buy a Yugo, or I can buy a Nissan. Both will get me to my location. Yugo is cheaper.

Guess which company doesn't exist anymore... [LOL]

If cost is the driving factor, both formats will fail, because DVD's are cheaper than either.[/b]
Your Yugo/Nissan is not a valid comparison. Yugo failed because it was a bad car, and it was not in direct competition with Nissan. By all reports, the Toshibas are excellent players.

#626101 - 11/06/07 07:32 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cpgator:
Quote:
[b]HD players may be cheaper, but their disks aren't. The average price on amazon is $40.60 on HD-DVD and $27.20 on blu-ray.

[/b]
Click true (@ Amazon.com) Click here:

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm#10

#626102 - 11/06/07 09:01 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cpgator:
[b]
Quote:
[b]HD players may be cheaper, but their disks aren't. The average price on amazon is $40.60 on HD-DVD and $27.20 on blu-ray.

[/b]
Click true (@ Amazon.com) Click here:

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm#10 [/b]
Regardless of the link, you are still wrong. I know because I have purchased 30+ HD DVDs from Amazon, and have never paid close to $40 (except for boxed sets). Now please, don't take my word for it - go to Amazon HD-DVD category, and then sort by highest priced to lowest price. You will then notice that (again, excluding boxed sets) the highest MSRP is $39.99. The highest sales price is $27.95. This is about the same as Bluray.

Just noticed my rating lost two trucks - why all the hate? frown

#626103 - 12/06/07 08:10 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Your Yugo/Nissan is not a valid comparison. Yugo failed because it was a bad car, and it was not in direct competition with Nissan. By all reports, the Toshibas are excellent players.
Fine.

Replace "Yugo" with "Delorean", and the comparison is valid.

My point is, cost rarely has anything to do with whether a new format will replace an old. CD's cost less to make than a cassette tape, but cost more for the consumer. Not too many cassette tapes being sold anymore.

DVD's cost less than a VHS to make, but cost more to the consumer. Not too many VHS being sold anymore, either.

Quality very rarely determines whether either format will win, either. Beta was better quality than VHS. Laserdisk was better than VHS. JVC's High Definition VHS has equivalent quality to HD DVD and BlueRay (up to 1080i), and it's not going to win.

The only thing that matters is perception. I think HD DVD will fail, because by putting out their "dual format" disks, they only give an impression that it's an "upgraded" DVD version. Whereas Blue Ray, with its name, implies it's something completely different (even though, really, it's still just HD quality video).

The only benefit that HD DVD has over Blue Ray is cost of manufacturing the disk, and cheaper video players. The consumer doesn't see any difference in cost when buying a movie. And the difference in cost of players is a negligable difference, when you're looking at who will actually be buying EITHER format over the next couple years or so.

The average, cost conscious buyer isn't buying HD anything, right now. They're happy to watch their DVD player on their "HD TV", and don't realize they aren't watching HD anything. Look at the different consumer polls that come through every few months; the "average" person bought a HD TV, and has never bought any HD television channels, receivers, etc. And they ALL think they're watching HD, just 'cause their spiffy new TV has a sticker on the front of it that says HDTV.

#626104 - 12/06/07 08:34 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

My father in law did that - I never understood it. He got a cheapo brand 42" plasma from Costco and raved about the image quality of standard def Dish Network programing on the new TV. Of course, it looked like complete crap. To make matters worse, he lives in a rural area where he can't get any OTA HD channels. In his case he'd clearly be better off with a quality standard def tube TV, but he loves that plasma. [Freak]

#626105 - 12/06/07 08:51 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Fine.

Replace "Yugo" with "Delorean", and the comparison is valid.

My point is, cost rarely has anything to do with whether a new format will replace an old. CD's cost less to make than a cassette tape, but cost more for the consumer. Not too many cassette tapes being sold anymore.

DVD's cost less than a VHS to make, but cost more to the consumer. Not too many VHS being sold anymore, either.

Quality very rarely determines whether either format will win, either. Beta was better quality than VHS. Laserdisk was better than VHS. JVC's High Definition VHS has equivalent quality to HD DVD and BlueRay (up to 1080i), and it's not going to win.

The only thing that matters is perception. I think HD DVD will fail, because by putting out their "dual format" disks, they only give an impression that it's an "upgraded" DVD version. Whereas Blue Ray, with its name, implies it's something completely different (even though, really, it's still just HD quality video).

The only benefit that HD DVD has over Blue Ray is cost of manufacturing the disk, and cheaper video players. The consumer doesn't see any difference in cost when buying a movie. And the difference in cost of players is a negligable difference, when you're looking at who will actually be buying EITHER format over the next couple years or so.

The average, cost conscious buyer isn't buying HD anything, right now. They're happy to watch their DVD player on their "HD TV", and don't realize they aren't watching HD anything. Look at the different consumer polls that come through every few months; the "average" person bought a HD TV, and has never bought any HD television channels, receivers, etc. And they ALL think they're watching HD, just 'cause their spiffy new TV has a sticker on the front of it that says HDTV.
I agree with most of what you have said, but I do think cost is still a factor. Remember, DVD didn't take off until the price of the players came down. And I agree that $500+ is more than most are willing to spend to watch HD movies, but the price of HD players are now close to the same price of regular DVD players. The movies cost about 20-25% more, but they are available to rent for no additional cost.

And for the record, I own both a HD DVD and Bluray player, and am not biased to either. My only bias is that HD takes hold - regardless of format.

porsche996 - just realized we also had some fun discussions in the HD TV thread a few months back. smile

#626106 - 12/06/07 09:20 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
NismoXse02 Offline

I can't believe ya'll are still arguing this. Porsche nailed it in the 2nd post of the whole thread:
Quote:
BUT, it looks like both format sales are pretty dissappointing, overall. There's a chance that they'll both fail to ever become mainstream...
Both are just a stepping stones to the next popular item (solid state?) and both will follow the laser disk route. Everyone's basically waiting to see who will "win" and by then we'll already be on the next "for sure" thing.

#626107 - 12/06/07 09:57 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I can't believe ya'll are still arguing this. Porsche nailed it in the 2nd post of the whole thread:
Quote:
[b]BUT, it looks like both format sales are pretty dissappointing, overall. There's a chance that they'll both fail to ever become mainstream...
Both are just a stepping stones to the next popular item (solid state?) and both will follow the laser disk route. Everyone's basically waiting to see who will "win" and by then we'll already be on the next "for sure" thing.[/b]
I believe that at least one of the HD formats will be a success.

#626108 - 13/06/07 08:08 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, after reading it enough it finally annoyed me. It is Blu-ray , not blueray or blue ray.

with that said, Blu-ray will win out, especially with a price drop coming for the PS3.

I know I know...nazi... [Uh Oh !]

#626109 - 13/06/07 09:43 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
ok, after reading it enough it finally annoyed me. It is Blu-ray , not blueray or blue ray.

with that said, Blu-ray will win out, especially with a price drop coming for the PS3.

Hey spelling nazi...

It's technically:

Blu-ray Disc®

So if you're gonna' get on a rage, could you at least rage accurately?

[Finger]

#626110 - 13/06/07 09:48 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
[b]ok, after reading it enough it finally annoyed me. It is Blu-ray , not blueray or blue ray.

Hey spelling nazi...

It's technically:

Blu-ray Disc®

So if you're gonna' get on a rage, could you at least rage accurately?

[Finger] [/b]
fine...its a fucking Blu-ray Disc.
wink :p

either way, there's no e.

#626111 - 13/06/07 10:10 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

You left out the ® symbol...

[Too much XOC]

#626112 - 17/06/07 10:50 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA

#626113 - 17/06/07 03:18 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah... I wouldn't put much stock in that.

I like this line from the article you posted:

Quote:
One member observes that a particular photograph looks as if powdered cinnamon has been sprinkled on it.

#626114 - 18/06/07 04:18 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blockbuster favors blueray

Quote:
Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.

"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster, told The Associated Press.

#626115 - 18/06/07 09:15 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric P.:
[QB] Blockbuster favors blueray

WOOHOO!!! I've been waiting a while for them to roll out the HD movies in my area. Looks like they're rolling them out nationwide, soon. Schweet!!!

#626116 - 18/06/07 10:27 AM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

My walmart seems to stock more blu-ray than HD-DVD too.

Also, Best Buy has a really tempting HDTV+PS3+1 Game and 1 movie deals. They are offering a 40+ sony lcd package for about 100 bucks more than my Father paid for the Sony LCD alone (about 2 months ago).

Hopefully this link works:
http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy/new_user_entry.aspx?adref=header

#626117 - 18/06/07 12:26 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
My walmart seems to stock more blu-ray than HD-DVD too.

Also, Best Buy has a really tempting HDTV+PS3+1 Game and 1 movie deals. They are offering a 40+ sony lcd package for about 100 bucks more than my Father paid for the Sony LCD alone (about 2 months ago).

Hopefully this link works:
http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy/new_user_entry.aspx?adref=header
If you like movies and/or sports, don't get an LCD TV.

#626118 - 18/06/07 01:12 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Blockbuster favors blueray
The most interesting part of that article was learning that people still go to Blockbuster.

#626119 - 18/06/07 01:14 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Blockbuster favors blueray
The most interesting part of that article was learning that people still go to Blockbuster.[/b]
Yeah - Netflix is way better, if nothing else due to the extremely robust ratings/recomendations database. I've seen lots of great movies that I never even would have heard of without Netflix.

#626120 - 18/06/07 03:03 PM Re: HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Blockbuster favors blueray
The most interesting part of that article was learning that people still go to Blockbuster.[/b]
BB also supported VHS over DVD - anyone remember how long it took them to start carrying DVDs?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal