shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626143 - 16/01/06 06:24 AM Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
http://news.com.com/Jobs+suggests+Dell+should+eat+his+words/2100-1041_3-6027361.html?tag=nefd.top

So much for shutting the company down and returning the money to the shareholders...

#626144 - 16/01/06 09:55 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
helps that Intel imacs hit shelves over the weekend...

I can't want for my OSX/Windows machine in the summer.

#626145 - 16/01/06 10:02 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:

I wonder if people will run something like WINE/Cedaga for OSX.

I mean, other than games, I don't see a reason to even use Windows if osx is an option.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#626146 - 16/01/06 10:18 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Macs have been making money since the get go, have had a portion of market share anchored by a loyal following, and have been predicted to go out of business every year by every pundit since the '80's.

:rolleyes:

Its a healthy company with large cash reserves and resources...and yet, for some reason, the Win-Dozers seem to think its ALWAYS on its way out.

I think they just can't imagine that the regulation OS as per Gates is NOT the only option, and as Gates Ware has the largest market share, it must be able to wipe out its competition.

Actually, Gates probably COULD wipe out macs if he really wantd to...but, if he DID, then he's have a monopoly, and ALL sorts of shit would hit the fan legally...so, as long as there's competition, he can "Be Competative".

laugh

I use macs and evil Minion Soft machines for work...and the macs are simply better for anything to do with publishing or graphics, etc.....for word processing, I can't tell much difference....I can't type fast enough to out perform either's capability.

laugh

If we need to edit pics, movies, etc...the macs BLOW the rest away....including the Spark workstations.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#626147 - 17/01/06 02:30 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I'd take the company a bit more seriously if they didn't make all their hardware in that "translucent candy" style, but their OS is pretty swanky.

I'm not sure...is it iPods that are driving up their stock, or their desktop lines?

#626148 - 17/01/06 02:34 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Ipod is clearly driving up their stock.

They hold a 4% market share on desktops.

They might be bigger than Microsoft right now if they would have sold their OS seperatly instead of forcing you to buy overpriced, under supported (software wise) computers.

I come from a MAC family, and think that Mac's are great computers. If it wasn't for the IPOD, they would be in trouble right now. Hopefully they will wise up and release their OS now that they made the move to Intel.

#626149 - 17/01/06 02:48 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Quote:
[b]

I mean, other than games, I don't see a reason to even use Windows if osx is an option.[/b]
I've used both MACs and PCs for graphic design, web design, multimedia and 3D animation and I prefer the PC. There's no way in hell that I would go back to an Apple box.

#626150 - 17/01/06 03:03 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Anonymous
Unregistered

For all you MAC lovers....Oldie, but goodie

http://members.cox.net/clyqz/macs.html

#626151 - 17/01/06 03:04 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PDXterra:
I'm not sure...is it iPods that are driving up their stock, or their desktop lines?
The reason their stock is so high is because they just released the Intel based line of computers. You will see their stock lower and level out in the near future. As for now, this product has been widely anticipated and therefore, their stock prices reflect it.

Don't cash out your savings and put it into Apple stock because it would be a poor decision. You will see the PC market overtake Apple once the excitement of this Intel based computer fades. Apple always was and still is, a niche market computer that will never overtake the marketshare of the PC.

#626152 - 17/01/06 03:28 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
There are something like 8 products that marketers identify as having a cult following.

Mac users make up one of those groups.

I believe others were Volkswagen Beetle, Harley Davidson, WWE, Oprah, Unix.....

I know I'm forgetting some here.

It's a good thing Mac users don't own guns, otherwise they'd make the rest of us buy one!

Bottom line: products with a cult following will NEVER go out of business, unless they are destroyed from the inside out. The customer base will not only always be there, they'll be in every forum on the internet blah blah blahing about how much better their product is than the "competitors".

#626153 - 17/01/06 04:01 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Hopefully they will wise up and release their OS now that they made the move to Intel.
There's no way that Apple would allow a generic PC to run OSX. Apple has complete control over not only the software, but the hardware it's been designed to run on. It's what makes Macs easier and simpler to use. Apple sells an entire "system" not just hardware and software that happens to run on it. No driver-compatibility issues, registry hacks, missing DLLs, etc. etc.

Who would want to use an OSX PC if it were just as hard to configure and maintain as a Windows PC?

#626154 - 17/01/06 06:00 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
They might be bigger than Microsoft right now if they would have sold their OS seperatly instead of forcing you to buy overpriced, under supported (software wise) computers.
Bingo. Well said Lincoln. [ThumbsUp] I've been saying that all along. If Apple wouldn't hold everything to themselves, they'd be huge. Maybe they don't want to get huge, but recent trends show otherwise. :rolleyes: Oh well, when's Longhorn going to be released? laugh

#626155 - 17/01/06 10:43 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Quote:
[b]

I mean, other than games, I don't see a reason to even use Windows if osx is an option.[/b]
iis &.net

i also prefer macromedia products on pc

#626156 - 17/01/06 10:54 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Quote:
Originally posted by PDXterra:
[b]I'm not sure...is it iPods that are driving up their stock, or their desktop lines?
The reason their stock is so high is because they just released the Intel based line of computers. You will see their stock lower and level out in the near future. As for now, this product has been widely anticipated and therefore, their stock prices reflect it.

Don't cash out your savings and put it into Apple stock because it would be a poor decision. You will see the PC market overtake Apple once the excitement of this Intel based computer fades. Apple always was and still is, a niche market computer that will never overtake the marketshare of the PC.[/b]
Apple isn't forced into the market share comptition of PC manufacturers. Large distributors are having to constantly markdown superior products to compete in the same area while Apple is able to controll their pricing and market due to the benefit of customer loyalty. They built that loyalty by not comprimising their long terms goals and allowing their products to be controlled by outside entities.

Now, with the iPod and their iTunes store they are continuing to build the brand and attract more new customers while Dell, IBM, Toshiba, Gateway/eMachines, HP and the rest continue to watch their stock stagnate while they spend their R&D money reinventing the wheel at the mercy of Microsoft.

#626157 - 18/01/06 06:59 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
The reason their stock is so high is because they just released the Intel based line of computers.
Maybe it has given a few percentage points, but the real reason is because of the IPOD. Look at the stock trend over the last couple of years (before the intel decesion).

#626158 - 18/01/06 07:09 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]

iis &.net

i also prefer macromedia products on pc[/b]
Check out the Mono Project . Its a complete open-source .Net environment for many *NIX platforms. Having managed hundreds of IIS and Apache servers (all versions of each) over the last 8 years, I can't see why anyone would prefer IIS. Apache is a much more stable and easy to manage platform.

#626159 - 18/01/06 03:04 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The reason their stock is so high is because they just released the Intel based line of computers.
Maybe it has given a few percentage points, but the real reason is because of the IPOD. Look at the stock trend over the last couple of years (before the intel decesion).[/b]
I'm not talking about the steady rise in their stock prices. I'm talking about the spike that resulted from the release of the Intel based desktop. After the excitement wears off the stock prices will drop back down to where they were before the Intel computers were released.

#626160 - 18/01/06 03:34 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is great news. I'm a Win/AMD user myself but competition is always good for the consumer.

Dell's customer service has been getting pretty bad lately. The quality of their products, on the other hand, has downright plummeted. I have had nothing but problems with the Dell computers at my work and several of my friends, who bought high-end Dells as their personal computers, have had serious problems with their machines.

A little competition from Apple will force both Dell and Microsoft to put out better products.

#626161 - 18/01/06 04:36 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
I'm not talking about the steady rise in their stock prices. I'm talking about the spike that resulted from the release of the Intel based desktop. After the excitement wears off the stock prices will drop back down to where they were before the Intel computers were released.
Sorry, but no. It wasn't the intel Macs. They've been known to be coming out. The stock already reflected that.

The spike was due to record profits - due to the iPod.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#626162 - 18/01/06 04:38 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
I've used both MACs and PCs for graphic design, web design, multimedia and 3D animation and I prefer the PC. There's no way in hell that I would go back to an Apple box.
I think a lot of it depends on the software, too.

For video - I would never go back to PC.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#626163 - 18/01/06 06:12 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

iis &.net

Check out the Mono Project . Its a complete open-source .Net environment for many *NIX platforms. Having managed hundreds of IIS and Apache servers (all versions of each) over the last 8 years, I can't see why anyone would prefer IIS. Apache is a much more stable and easy to manage platform.
I gotta disagree. IIS6 is excellent, and MONO completely blows compared to .net, I'd bet that any other development platform blows compared to .net.

Really everything else aside, the MONO project sucks, it still doesn't have a tenth of the support and structure it needs to be really useful. It's another half baked linux project, this coming from someone who uses it.

#626164 - 18/01/06 06:18 PM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Oh well, when's Longhorn going to be released? laugh
Last I heard, Longhorn was scrapped for a Longhorn/XP combo...

#626165 - 19/01/06 06:34 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
http://news.com.com/Jobs+suggests+Dell+should+eat+his+words/2100-1041_3-6 027361.html?tag=nefd.top

So much for shutting the company down and returning the money to the shareholders...
Yeah. MAC had done very well for themselves, since Bill Gates dropped $140 million dollars into their stock in 1997...

[Finger]

#626166 - 19/01/06 06:43 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
You will see the PC market overtake Apple once the excitement of this Intel based computer fades.
I didn't realize Dell was the entire PC market.

#626167 - 19/01/06 06:45 AM Re: Hehe - Apple worth more than Dell (today anyway)
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:

iis &.net

I gotta disagree. IIS6 is excellent, and MONO completely blows compared to .net, I'd bet that any other development platform blows compared to .net.

Really everything else aside, the MONO project sucks, it still doesn't have a tenth of the support and structure it needs to be really useful. It's another half baked linux project, this coming from someone who uses it.

I'll take J2EE over .Net any day of the week.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal