shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626608 - 26/06/06 08:44 PM Stupid Photoshop Questions
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Hey All,

I just started playing with Photoshop 7 for the first time (with any version of Photoshop). I'm having a tough time with the user interface and am hoping you guys can give me a head start since you've done such a good job with similar questions I've had.

Question 1:

How do I reduce the "blueness" of this underwater shot I took while recently on vacation? Just the generalities of it would do (Tools/Colors/blah blah/blah blah).

Secondly, what free online Photoshop tutorials do you recommend?

Thanks for any assistance,

Kevin

#626609 - 27/06/06 07:49 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Color Balance = Ctrl + B

Or just press Shift + Ctrl + L and see what kinda job the Auto Levels option will do for ya.

#626610 - 27/06/06 09:15 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Hey All,

I just started playing with Photoshop 7 for the first time (with any version of Photoshop). I'm having a tough time with the user interface and am hoping you guys can give me a head start since you've done such a good job with similar questions I've had.

Question 1:

How do I reduce the "blueness" of this underwater shot I took while recently on vacation? Just the generalities of it would do (Tools/Colors/blah blah/blah blah).

Secondly, what free online Photoshop tutorials do you recommend?

Thanks for any assistance,

Kevin
this is an awesome tutorial site..

http://www.pixel2life.com/

#626611 - 27/06/06 10:15 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
You can get rid of colors and change the image in PS, but you should start off with learning from the image and applying it to future UW shots.

Quick tips - not from a pro UW phtographer, but I have some experience...

- Get an external flash for your camera.
- Find out what the focus range is for the lens and then...
- Get closer to your subject(s). Then when you think you are close enough, get closer. (within the focal range)
- Don't aim down when shooting, unless doing macro work with a flash.

That may help you with future images.

#626612 - 27/06/06 10:46 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
I did a quick import into Photoshop Elements 2 and did an auto color correction. This is the result:

In regular Photoshop, I would suppose you could either use the curves tool and tone down the blue, or do a similar feat using Levels. That's something I've never been really good at.

Also, to help prevent having to do such activities on the computer, you might see if your camera offers a manual white balance option. Though underwater, there might not be much available to set the white balance with (usually use a grey or white object). Alternatively, you could try selecting either "Shade" or "Cloudy" white balance and see if that warms things up a bit.

#626613 - 27/06/06 10:49 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Is that photo from your Optio W10? Did you use the "Underwater" mode?

I just bought one of those based on your recommendation in the Kayak & Canoe forum. So far, its a great camera! I took it down to the local lake last weekend (Lake of the Ozarks) and out for some watersports (boating/tubing/skiing). I wasn't brave enough to submerge it yet, or risk losing it on the jet-ski (although I could have gotten some great action shots).

Sadly, I didn't bother reading the instruction book before the trip (to figure out the different modes). Here's a couple shots from the trip:

"Sport" mode:

"Food" mode:

#626614 - 30/06/06 08:17 AM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

love photoshop =)

#626615 - 03/07/06 05:13 PM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Thanks for the help with photoshop! I'll run the rest of the underwater shots through photoshop as well and see how they turn out.

That picture was taken with the Optio W10. It's a great camera no doubt, I just need to figure out the nuances.

The camera does have a manual white balance mode, but you lost me on the next step. I'll peruse the manual and figure it out.

I did run into some erratic pictures during my vacation, so I'll be sending it back to Pentax for repair or another unit. It happens infrequently enough to where I don't have to return it immediately. I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about when I hook up the external HD again.

edited to add goofy pictures the camera sometimes gets stuck taking, no matter what mode I put it in or setting I switch to, then it goes away as quickly as it came. Anybody know what causes this, so I don't have to return it?

There are also bars that, for some reason, don't show on this picture even though it shows on the raw image that I resized to this. The overexposure and goofy bars are weird in that it comes and goes. It's not a setting thing where it's too bright outside.

#626616 - 03/07/06 05:55 PM Re: Stupid Photoshop Questions
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
Is that photo from your Optio W10? Did you use the "Underwater" mode?

I just bought one of those based on your recommendation in the Kayak & Canoe forum. So far, its a great camera! I took it down to the local lake last weekend (Lake of the Ozarks) and out for some watersports (boating/tubing/skiing). I wasn't brave enough to submerge it yet, or risk losing it on the jet-ski (although I could have gotten some great action shots).

Those are some great pictures, Chris. I know what you mean by being brave the first time you submerge it. I literally had to force my hand into the river the first time I used it. It felt like I was tossing my wife's iPod into the water.

I took one of those common boat key chains that has the float on one end of it where you can pop the top and put boat registration, money, etc. and attached that to the camera. It still doesn't float, but it doesn't sink like a rock to the bottom either.

I don't know why Pentax isn't advertising this camera more. I swear I've sold more with my fishing report posts than Pentax has with their entire advertising budget (if they have one for this camera). Even if you don't do underwater shots, it still gives you the flexability to take shots like this without worry:

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal