2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#627662 - 01/01/08 11:10 AM Home Theatre Advice
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Just got a 52" Samsung LCD HDTV along with a Sony Blue-Ray Player....Ok, with that in mind...I am looking for a Good Decent Home Theatre System ($500-$600 Range)...since I already have the Blue ray Player.. I would think that I could just get a Nice Surround Sound Receiver with a 5.1 Speaker Setup, Correct ?...I wouldn't think I would need a "Theatre in a Box"...since those Packages already have a DVD Player in them...any Recommendations and Advice would be Great...Thanks

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#627663 - 01/01/08 01:05 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

In that price range, I'd shoot for something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8504692&type=product&id=1186004964722

Yamaha is the best out of the beginner/consumer grade brands (sony, yamaha, samsung, etc.).

If you try piecing together a system, for that price range, you're going to run out of money in a hurry, and most likely will end up with speakers that don't match each other very well, get overpowered by the sub, etc.

Then for a future upgrade, a high quality center channel speaker will make the most noticeable difference in any home theater setup, as most of the dialog of a movie comes through the center channel. The clearer/crisper that speaker is, the better everything will sound to ya'!

Whatever you do, don't get a cheap speaker system, a cheap receiver, and a high-powered sub...that's what a lot of people do, 'cause they think they'll get the most bang for the buck w/ a big sub, and just "make do" with cheap speakers... That's a good way to get some really shitty sound in movies... The bass has to be huge when appropriate, but low and clear sound, too. If the speakers can't overpower the sub for dialog scenes, you end up with an annoying low rumble all the time that can't ever be matched...you end up not hearing the rest of the movie!

#627664 - 01/01/08 01:38 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put together an amazing system for around $1000 last year, but $550 of that was for the receiver. So if you go with a slightly lesser receiver than the Onkyo TX-SR804 that I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J40PMK

It's certainly do-able.

I suggest going the Mail Order route from Amazon. I am an authorized dealer for Pinnacle, JBL, Acoustic Research, NXG Technology, Phoenix Gold, Bic and a few other brands.

My speaker system is composed of:

Bic V-1220 430W Sub - $159.99
Bic DV-62CLRS 2 way 175w Center - $86.99
Bic DV-62SIB 2 way 150w Front Channels - $96.99/pair
Discontinued Bic Rears, but similar in spec to the Bic DV-32W - 2 way 125w - $45.99/pair

So total cost of that speaker package is: $389.96

Bic is made by Klipsch Audio Technologies who make some serious high end gear. Bic being pretty much entry level - but a highly awarded brand in itself.

The above prices are wholesale excluding shipping. If you want a more detailed quote or have your eye on speakers from any of the manufacturers I listed then let me know.

Or for the simple option - $380 buys you a nice JBL 5.1 set: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-CS480BG-Comple...99223434&sr=8-6

Combined with something like the Onkyo TX-505 for $250 and you are just over budget.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR505-Cha...99223434&sr=8-6

#627665 - 01/01/08 10:07 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Rickster43 Offline

I really like that Yamaha Home System...Sounds like a lot for the Price....
It's probably a Toss up between these 2...Which one is the better system ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8504692&type=product&id=1186004964722

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-HT-...roductDetail.do

#627666 - 02/01/08 06:09 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it was sheerly on brand I'd go with the Onkyo. But as they are at stores, go and take a listen to each display - maybe take one of your favorite action movies along or something or a CD, so you can hear the same part of a movie or music on each system.

Always found that Bestbuy is way over priced, so if you like the system there - see if you can find it on Amazon or somewhere online cheaper!

#627667 - 02/01/08 07:04 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't see any mention of it, but Don't forget the Cables.

You'll need to see what is going to work best for you and buy your amp with the appropriate cable hookups for your TV and DVD player. Most amps use the TV as a Monitor and manage all the devices hooked up to them.

For example: I have a TV with Composite inputs, that mates with my Amp's Composite Outputs. Utilizing the Composite out on the DVD player, to the amp, made a huge difference in image quality.

Now for the DVD player Audio, I initially had a Digital Coax and gave that one to my Mom and bought one with Optical out to the AMP. This allowed me to hook up my Cable Digital Coax out to the Amp. (I only had one Digital Coax connection on the AMP, but have two Opticals.)

The cable box had no High resolution Video so it just uses the Analog video to the AMP. VCR is the same way, no high quality stuff there and just have it hooked up to the basic stuff.

To hook up this stuff requires some forethought on what cables you'll be using and if your AMP is compatible with them. They can be really pricey so shop around. Strangely enough Lowes and Home Depot have a good selection of them at a decent price.

BTW - I'm waiting for a JBL Powered Sub that I ordered from AMAZON, it should compliment my system nicely as my AMP has the LFE Sub connection and with the THX decoder, it should sound awesome. I've read though at higher volumes the Sub is turned off, but there's thousands of opinions. Experimentation will tell.

My AMP came with a Microphone that it uses to auto tune itself to the speakers. This makes setup much easier and adding the little tweeks to personalize it is easier. You might want to consider that in your purchase.

You can always spend more on the Amp to begin with and buy better speakers later.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

My favorite Surround movies that I own and just like to throw in now and then are SWAT, Triple X, Bond Die another day, etc. The Helos in Swat flying around with the Gun battles are awesome in surround!

#627668 - 02/01/08 08:35 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
When you're ready to buy cables/wires for your home theater, try monoprice.com . I have purchased several cables there, including optical, DVI, HDMI, and component, and the price/quality ratio can't be beat.

#627669 - 02/01/08 12:04 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

"For example: I have a TV with Composite inputs, that mates with my Amp's Composite Outputs."

I hope you mean Component Inputs/Outputs, not Composite!

#627670 - 02/01/08 12:30 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
I really like that Yamaha Home System...Sounds like a lot for the Price....
It's probably a Toss up between these 2...Which one is the better system ?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-HT-...roductDetail.do
I didn't check the links, so I don't know the price comparisons. But, if the Onkyo is in your price range, then I'd go with it over the Yamaha, simply because it's a better quality product, generally speaking. Onkyo is the lower/mid end of the next tier of quality; basically a decent step up from sony/magnavox/etc. Yamaha's equipment is sort of between sony/magnavox/etc. and Onkyo.

#627671 - 02/01/08 01:48 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
"For example: I have a TV with Composite inputs, that mates with my Amp's Composite Outputs."

I hope you mean Component Inputs/Outputs, not Composite!
laugh Got ME! OOps!
Quality first down to functionable:
Video:
HDMI / DMI
Component
S-Video
Analog (RCA)

Audio:
Optical
Digital Coax
Analog (RCA)

I was confused as to if the HDMI cable supported sound and I think it does not, but I could be corrected, not that that has happened before. [Argue]

Good luck, and I like Onkyo, they've been around a while, but I don't have any of thier stuff. Mostly all Sony (AMP,VCR,TapeDeck) Samsung HD-DVD, Cox Digital Cable Box, Dual 12" MTX Speakers (A-Channel), With Acoustic Cheapy 12" loudspeakers (B-Channel, Surround Back [center]) and sub (Non-powered) with satellites that I use for the Left/Right Rears. Center front is a 12" Peavy Loudspeaker if I remember right. Pretty soon the JBL 12" Powered Sub. Future upgrades will be better Rear/Left/Right Speakers and mounted on the walls.

#627672 - 02/01/08 01:54 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just thought; If you are a console gamer and want the best experience possible, you'll want your Amp to have a High Quaility connection on the front. I only have RCA Analog jacks on the front, so I hook the PS2 with a Component cable and Optical cable to the back of the AMP instead.

#627673 - 02/01/08 02:24 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:

I was confused as to if the HDMI cable supported sound and I think it does not, but I could be corrected, not that that has happened before. [Argue]
The HDMI standard does carry audio, but not all sources support it. Most HDMI sources are capable of multi-channel audio (5.1/AC3) output. Some are only capable of stereo (2.0) output. Some SACD/DVD-Audio players are also capable of outputting full-bitstream, non-encoded multi-channel PCM over HDMI for the highest quality digital audio signal possible.

My personal opinion is that you are really cheaping out on the audio side of things. You spent some serious bank on that TV and Blu-Ray player, and you will be missing out on a LOT of audio quality by sticking to your price range. You haven't mentioned whether or not you have speakers already, but to keep things on the same playing field, I'd be looking for a receiver in the $1k (or more range), plus at least another $1k for your 5 surround channels, and at least another $500 for a decent sub. Right now, what you're looking at right now on the audio side is WAY out of line with your video components.

Perhaps you live in an apartment, and can't crank it, and don't really care. However, you did ask for "Home Theatre Advice", not "big-azz TV and crappy little stereo advice". laugh

That's my 2c worth,
Chris

#627674 - 02/01/08 02:24 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:

Oh it does

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#627675 - 02/01/08 02:35 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Quote:
[b]
Oh it does [/b]
HDMI itself does - yes. But some lower end receivers with HDMI inputs only use it to throughput the video and do not use it for sound. Hence why you may still need Audio with an HDMI input - even on some mid-range Onkyo receivers.

#627676 - 02/01/08 07:58 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Rickster43 Offline

Ok...I think I found a Great Package over at Best Buy....Here it is:

The Speaker System

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...9#productdetail

The Subwoofer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...1#productdetail

The Reciever

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1169512520938

It's a Package They have called "The Better Bundle"....All for $899 (Plus Tax)....
If Buying the Klipsch Speakers and Sub Woofer alone, will cost around $950.....The Thing is That Yamaha Reciever does not Have HDMI Outputs or Inputs....So, I will try see if they can Upgrade to another Yamaha Reciever that has HDMI Hookups....I would think I would need HDMI Hookups for the Blue-ray Player, Correct ?

#627677 - 02/01/08 08:12 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

No. You do NOT need HDMI inputs into the receiver.

Basically, if you have multiple items you'll be plugging into your TV, then it *can* be nice to use the reciever as the switch. However, it's not necessary, and in a lot of cases on the lower end receivers, you'll do more harm than good by using their HDMI switches...in a lot of cases, they bungle it up by decoding then re-encoding the signal before it gets sent to the TV. You don't want multiple things decoding/encoding the signal...

So run an HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray to the TV for your picture. Run a digital cable (either optical or coax) to the receiver for sound. You'll get the best quality audio and video doing it this way.

Plus, you don't end up spending a lot of money for a receiver that has HDMI switching when you don't really need it in the first place. It's a gimmick, unless you particularly need to plug in more HDMI sources than your TV has inputs for.

I don't run my video sources through my receiver. I don't like intermediate connections between components and the TV. All my sound goes directly to the receiver; all my video goes directly to the TV. And I have a nice Harmony 880 remote control so I hit 1 button for "TV" and everything turns on and switches to the right inputs. Same for "DVD" and for "Play Game".

#627678 - 02/01/08 08:43 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Rickster43 Offline

Thanks porsche996...That is good to know...and Thanks for everybody's input, recommendations and Ideas...I have Learned alot from yoos Guys....

#627679 - 02/01/08 09:56 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

True if you are going to use a cheap receiver that does not just pass the HDMI signal thru don't buy it. But there are some great receivers like the Onkyo txsr605 that just pass the signal thru without changing anything. Here is the real important thing you want to think about. You have a high definition Blu ray player and HD TV why wouldn't you want the best sound you could get? With HDMI you get TrueHD, DD+, and DTS-HD you cannot with the optical cable. Here is great web site to do some research on home theaters. Check out the forums section. www.avsforum.com

#627680 - 02/01/08 10:07 PM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

porsche996

"Plus, you don't end up spending a lot of money for a receiver that has HDMI switching when you don't really need it in the first place. It's a gimmick, unless you particularly need to plug in more HDMI sources than your TV has inputs for."

If it is a gimmick there allot of professional audio/video people fooled. I can tell the difference between optical and hdmi output. Plus the Blu ray outputs sounds that only can be passed thru HDMI are they selling a gimmick too? Just asking. I think it would be a shame to buy equipment that is already outdated. Ever listen to a movie in 7.1? It is something you cannot do without hdmi.

#627681 - 03/01/08 07:16 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

See, Told ya I could be corrected.

Magma
Quote:
Ever listen to a movie in 7.1?
I haven't seen any DVD's with anything more than 5.1 or THX.

Is this something that only is on HD-DVD's as I have yet to buy any? I have the HD player, but only have a regular TV, with Component inputs.

I believe my AMP is capable of more than 5.1, I'd swear it said 6.1 or 7.1 in the manual (Don't know where it is.) and like I said above, I haven't seen a DVD that supports a higher standard.

Rickster, Glad to see your expanding your price range as I believe you'll enjoy the experience of you Home Theatre ten fold with improved audio equipment. [ThumbsUp]

#627682 - 03/01/08 07:39 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry if I sounded like I was correcting anyone just trying to help. Yes HD DVD's have better sound qualities than regular dvd's.

Conundrum:
"Is this something that only is on HD-DVD's as I have yet to buy any? I have the HD player, but only have a regular TV, with Component inputs."

Are you planning on buying a HD TV? If so start with The Transformers on HD. Great sound and picture. Like I said before check out www.avsforum.com I have learned alot from them.

#627683 - 03/01/08 09:43 AM Re: Home Theatre Advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MAGMA:
Sorry if I sounded like I was correcting anyone just trying to help. Yes HD DVD's have better sound qualities than regular dvd's.

Conundrum:
"Is this something that only is on HD-DVD's as I have yet to buy any? I have the HD player, but only have a regular TV, with Component inputs."

Are you planning on buying a HD TV? If so start with The Transformers on HD. Great sound and picture. Like I said before check out www.avsforum.com I have learned alot from them.
This is XOC no apology needed.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll check out the movie, but I was afraid it would taint my fond memories of the Actual Transformers.

HD-TV, hell no, I ain't paying the prices they want for them and with my small house, I don't need a gigantic TV. I have a new TV that I got to replace the one I lost in the Fire of my house and it does me just fine. I have Digital Cable so I don't have to worry about the Tuner not working after Feb '09, so in reality I don't need an upgrade at this point.

I will definately agree that the quality is out of this world on the HD sets and maybe someday I'll find a deal I can't pass up, but not anytime soon.

I'll check out the site you referenced when I get more time.

Thanks!!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal