shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#637242 - 30/01/05 01:10 AM Need muffler opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, some background.....Took my 2002 SE S/C to the dealer because of a rattling noise from under the the truck just behind the driver's seat. Only happens under hard accleration. Dealer told me that there is a baffle loose in the muffler and not to worry. They said I could drive it as long as I didn't mind the noise.

I'm not so sure, since I have noticed variances in the way the truck accelerates. Makes me wonder if may the loose "baffle" is restricing flow.

Anyway, my question is this....would you guys simply replace the factory muffler with a "normal" one or should I spend the extra bucks to get a more free-flowing muffler?

I am not familiar with aftrmarket mufflers, but since I have a supercharger I was wondering if there would be much of a difference in performance in spending the extra dollars.

If so, what would you guys recommend? I don't want something that will scare the neighbors and I am not after something that "sounds cool." However, if I am going to spend the money, I don't want to waste it.

#637243 - 30/01/05 03:46 PM Re: Need muffler opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have to say that you should probably get a Flowmasters 50 series. Reasons?

1. Cheaper than getting a stock one (with installation at most 130)
2. Less restrictive on the engine (not enough for you to notice, but you have a S/C so it'll help more than you think)

I could give you more reasons, but the reasons are based of how cool it sounds. I have a 40 series, and I love it. Also! Since you have a S/C, the S/C will drown the noise of the Flowmaster on hard acceleration.

#637244 - 30/01/05 04:51 PM Re: Need muffler opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

i also have the 40 series flowmaster, wasnt real impressed at first, but it seems to get a little louder every week, and for some reason sounds really awesome in 4wd going threw the mud????? but i would say get an aftermarket exhaust rather than a clogged up stock muffler

#637245 - 30/01/05 04:58 PM Re: Need muffler opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing that I do notice about my Flowmaster 40 is that the muffler makes probably 25% more noise in the cold than in the heat. I dunno how Indinapolis is doing with weather, but just to let you know, the muffler will be making more noise in the cold, until the engine heats the thing up. Once the muffler is heated up, the noise goes down to normal.

#637246 - 30/01/05 08:11 PM Re: Need muffler opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a Flowmaster 40 series, but it was too weak, so I took that off and put Glasspacks on, WHOA MOMMA, Loud, aggressive, and more power right off the bat!!!!!!!!!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal