shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#637467 - 01/05/06 08:16 PM Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

can anyone do a burnout in there X...

everytime i try to do it...my SLIP comes on..
do i need to turn off the VDC>..or wat...

i push the brake and then tap the gas...

#637468 - 01/05/06 08:34 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

I certainly think the X would be capable... though maybe not with an auto tranny... hell, my Dakota could do it (3.6L 5-speed)...

#637469 - 01/05/06 08:36 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

"do i need to turn off the VDC"

Probably - wanna try and report back? wink
However, even with VDC off, your ABLS will still kick in and maintain traction most likely.

#637470 - 01/05/06 08:41 PM Re: Burning Out
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
turn the VDC off hold brake hit gass and u can do a small burnout. Something kicks in though and stoops it wants u pass first gear

#637471 - 01/05/06 08:46 PM Re: Burning Out
bluztraveler Offline

Loc: Surrey , B.C. ,Canada
X's can do "brakestands" where you lightly apply the brakes and roll onto the throttle. Kindda like linelock on a dragster,it locks the front tiers so the racer can spine the rear tires.
FYI the X is NOT a dragster, but its kool to light em up!

#637472 - 01/05/06 08:47 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Something kicks in though and stoops it wants u pass first gear"

Hey Chia, could you try that again in English?
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

#637473 - 01/05/06 09:07 PM Re: Burning Out
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Even my 3.3 can do a standing burnout, which really doesn't need much power btw. I believe most stock vehicles have brake bias of 85% f to 15% rear or so.

With my hunbs unlocked and transfer case in 4-lo, burnouts are such a piece of cake laugh

#637474 - 01/05/06 09:26 PM Re: Burning Out
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
2005 and up have CAN-bus controlled throttle, the computer stops you from applying full power in a transmission range with the brakes applied.

Call it: Damage control!

#637475 - 01/05/06 09:39 PM Re: Burning Out
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco Pico:
Call it: Damage control!
[ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown]

Hate nannies. If I feel like getting a new set of rear pads/shoes, then it's none of my ECU's business.

#637476 - 02/05/06 07:48 AM Re: Burning Out
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Even my 3.3 can do a standing burnout, which really doesn't need much power btw. I believe most stock vehicles have brake bias of 85% f to 15% rear or so.

With my hunbs unlocked and transfer case in 4-lo, burnouts are such a piece of cake laugh
Wow.. you must have a stick shift. I'd have to park on oil to do a burnout shocked

#637477 - 02/05/06 08:15 AM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

My NA 3.3 on 33's and stock 4.636 gearing can light up the BFG M/T's w/o any more effort than just hitting the gas... I learned that after installing headers. Don't know real #'s, but I know I couldn't spin 'em easily (if at all) before.

#637478 - 02/05/06 11:17 AM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's better to burn out than to fade away [Smoking]

Ohh, you guys are talking about tires. My bad.

#637479 - 02/05/06 11:56 AM Re: Burning Out
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Porsche996, you fail to mention you have a Frontier. You can light up the tires on most any pickup.

Anyone care to move this to the performance section?

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#637480 - 02/05/06 12:26 PM Re: Burning Out
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't think I've ever even tried to do a burnout in the Xterra. For that matter, I don't remember trying it on any car since I passed the age of about 20! But then I never was interested in lighting up my tires... always preferred going fast through corners and stuff! laugh

RJ, I hope you're kidding about doing burnouts in 2WD with low range engaged! eek My understanding is it is not good to drive in low range in 2WD, so I can't imagine it would be any healthier to do burnouts. You're doubling your the torque to just the rear when you do that!

#637481 - 02/05/06 12:42 PM Re: Burning Out
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
RJ, I hope you're kidding about doing burnouts in 2WD with low range engaged! eek My understanding is it is not good to drive in low range in 2WD, so I can't imagine it would be any healthier to do burnouts. You're doubling your the torque to just the rear when you do that!
Theoretically, yes, 2-Lo has the potential to send double the torque and damage the axle.

But just think, no matter what, your torque here is limited by your traction. As long as you're just doing a burnout, I can put a 4:1 transfer case in 2Lo and still be safe.

Now if my rear tires are caught on something, like between rocks, or if I have drag slicks on, then we're talking snapped shafts and stripped ring gears.

#637482 - 02/05/06 12:46 PM Re: Burning Out
Smith Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Porsche996, you fail to mention you have a Frontier. You can light up the tires on most any pickup.

Anyone care to move this to the performance section?
Fuck no!
Only because my powers are weak in this section. :p

#637483 - 02/05/06 01:11 PM Re: Burning Out
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn. We were at the big smoldering split in the old highway at Centralia, PA after ECXC last year and I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#637484 - 02/05/06 01:27 PM Re: Burning Out
Smith Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.
Should have just started your chainsaw and hid it behind your tires to get the smoke effect. smile

#637485 - 02/05/06 01:31 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn. We were at the big smoldering split in the old highway at Centralia, PA after ECXC last year and I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.
yea, i was up there a few weeks ago. that pavement actually was hot, but it was also pretty cold out.
ive tried to chirp the tires, but i could only really spin them if i hit a puddle and stop and pull away. i wouldnt be doing it to much, my truck is in the shop right now for the 3rd torque converter,2nd one this year. im not sure how it keeps going, but im not hard on it. just watch out cause it cost me $2k to have mine rebuilt. now i have a warrantee for 2 yrs/24k miles.

#637486 - 02/05/06 02:05 PM Re: Burning Out
RJ Offline

Quote:
How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn.
Are you talking about a standing burnout or a rolling one? For the rolling one, it's not gonna happen with any x (even 2nd gen) - not enough power.

For standing burnouts, you're simply relying on the front brake bias to help you. The lower the gearing the better (well, up to a point), especially if you're using a stick-shift.

#637487 - 02/05/06 02:08 PM Re: Burning Out
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
i wouldnt be doing it to much, my truck is in the shop right now for the 3rd torque converter,2nd one this year. im not sure how it keeps going, but im not hard on it. just watch out cause it cost me $2k to have mine rebuilt. now i have a warrantee for 2 yrs/24k miles.
A proper burnout does not hurt the TC too much; your RPMs should be high enough anyway that your converter is locked. It IS hard on the rear shoes/pads and tires.

Damn, with all this burnout talk I feel like the official XOC ricer or something. laugh

#637488 - 02/05/06 02:44 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you talking about a standing burnout or a rolling one? For the rolling one, it's not gonna happen with any x (even 2nd gen) - not enough power.
There is plenty of power to do a *rolling* burnout when you have it in 2wd. I can do it without a problem in my gen1.

#637489 - 02/05/06 03:59 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Polak:
Quote:
There is plenty of power to do a *rolling* burnout when you have it in 2wd. I can do it without a problem in my gen1.
In 2 LO you can do a rolling burnout in your Gen 1?

#637490 - 02/05/06 04:07 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

2wd = 2 wheel drive = 2HI ... I'm not sure what 2LO is since I think I only have 2Hi N 4Hi 4Lo smile

#637491 - 02/05/06 05:04 PM Re: Burning Out
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rolling burnout in 1st Gen on dry pavement? Good luck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal