shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#637651 - 29/08/05 04:43 PM I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Team,
I'm Looking for more power out of my 03 SC. Ya I know I've got more than naturally asperated engines, but I'm hungry for more. Anyone know what an ECM Recalibration can do? How about any super chips out there? I know the normal methods of air intake, Borla exhaust. What about real meat performance. Has anyone ever Blown a X's engine. Can It even be done? Know that I've been searching the web and links all over the place. I want more POWER!!!!!!

#637652 - 29/08/05 04:47 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trade up for an '05...did you not test drive your '03 before you bought it?

#637653 - 29/08/05 04:55 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya 05 rocks with power. Drove it, loved it. My 03 was bought brand new. It's also payed for. Hate to start on payments again.

#637654 - 29/08/05 05:42 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty X:
Team,
I'm Looking for more power out of my 03 SC... Has anyone ever Blown a X's engine. Can It even be done? Know that I've been searching the web and links all over the place. I want more POWER!!!!!!
Can it be blown? What do you think a SC is?
You want more power, go buy a Corvette!

#637655 - 29/08/05 11:22 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

POWER!!!!!![/qb][/QUOTE]Can it be blown? What do you think a SC is?
You want more power, go buy a Corvette![/QB][/QUOTE]

This is the attitude that disturbs me. First, not being rude or on the defensive but i think he meant actually blowng the motor (that thing common caused by detonation on a sc model laugh ) Why does everyone say "if you want more power then why'd you buy an x?" IDIOTS MAN! Part of the fun of having any vehicle is taking it to as many extremes as possible. I recently talked with a guy that had the same attitude about lifting his X and the limitations that the IFS coupled with what aftermarket companies offer. BUILD YOUR OWN SHIT. MAKE IT FASTER, MAKE IT BIGGER. You don't need an aftermarket company to make stuff for you, that's what makes it different than everyone else (see the previous vehicles i have built). What if i already own 2 corvettes, one with a 400hp NA 383 and one with a 650hp 383 with a D1 blower on it? Am in the wrong for wanting to boost the power on my X? I enjoy beating down on ricers in my X for the fun of it cool

To answer your questions, first, search this forum, lots of good info here but you won't find many folks that want to add power. A lot of what 4x4 folks ahve in mind is to better their off-road and crawling experience, god forbid they actually add power to crawl the rocks rather than put 5.17 gears in the damned thing.... confused

I would check out a pulley setup from pulleyboys since you ahve the sc, intake to complement the pulley, and of course exhaust. make sure you get a boost gauge to monitor that beast along with an a\f gauge. You can do all of this for roughly $600.

#637656 - 30/08/05 08:55 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

oba-j
Member # 12612 posted August 30, 2005 12:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POWER!!!!!![/qb][/QUOTE]Can it be blown? What do you think a SC is?
You want more power, go buy a Corvette![/QB][/QUOTE]

This is the attitude that disturbs me. First, not being rude or on the defensive but i think he meant actually blowng the motor (that thing common caused by detonation on a sc model ) Why does everyone say "if you want more power then why'd you buy an x?" IDIOTS MAN! Part of the fun of having any vehicle is taking it to as many extremes as possible. I recently talked with a guy that had the same attitude about lifting his X and the limitations that the IFS coupled with what aftermarket companies offer. BUILD YOUR OWN SHIT. MAKE IT FASTER, MAKE IT BIGGER. You don't need an aftermarket company to make stuff for you, that's what makes it different than everyone else (see the previous vehicles i have built). What if i already own 2 corvettes, one with a 400hp NA 383 and one with a 650hp 383 with a D1 blower on it? Am in the wrong for wanting to boost the power on my X? I enjoy beating down on ricers in my X for the fun of it

To answer your questions, first, search this forum, lots of good info here but you won't find many folks that want to add power. A lot of what 4x4 folks ahve in mind is to better their off-road and crawling experience, god forbid they actually add power to crawl the rocks rather than put 5.17 gears in the damned thing....

I would check out a pulley setup from pulleyboys since you ahve the sc, intake to complement the pulley, and of course exhaust. make sure you get a boost gauge to monitor that beast along with an a\f gauge. You can do all of this for roughly $600.
Now that is what I'm talking about! A gear head and power hugery. I think the SC 210-HP 3.3-L can push allot more power. I looked at an 05 EVO and just about crapped myself on how much more power you can push out of the stock, but really a far cry from the stock Lancer. The Mit EVO comes stock with a 2.0-L intercooled turbo with 276-HPs. I have looked at bolt on 22PSI turbo's and they were getting that little 2.0-L up in the 500 HPs. So I know that my 3.3-L can do much better than 210 HPs. oba-j, I will check out those ideas. I do appreciate constructive ideas. Are we not in the performance posts anyway? I want to find and build my 03 X into the biggest baddest 03 SC that anyone has seen on these posts. Short of putting my X on a Vett Chassis. It's X owners like us that build what other people want in their own X's. Thanks again for the post and I know other X's out there are looking forward to more post like yours. I know I am.

#637657 - 30/08/05 10:19 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

it would take considerably more than any bolt-on turbo to get 500 hp out of the evo, trust me i just traded my 03 evo for my 05 X. your looking at an investment upwards of 12,000 - 15,000 to take the evo to 500+ hp. It's an awesome car, and capable of almost unlimited performace, but it is extremely expensive, as a reference the FQ 430 model (available only in the UK - FQ stands for F*&^%$# Quick) has 430 Hp and costs over $90,000. Moral here, you can do almost anything to any engine if you have the bank. Where there is a will, there is a way (to spend).

#637658 - 30/08/05 11:52 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

THANK YOU.

You are absolutely correct Sox, where there is a will, there is a way.

I bought my X because i like the vehicle, not the power. I bought the SC model because i can do some minor mods and pump it up a bit. I don't plan on driving 100mph every where i go, but i do some towing in the hills, like to cruis about 85 to 90 on my way to Wyoming and such. I like power and for all the nay sayers... STFU! smile

#637659 - 30/08/05 12:03 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was going to suggest a smaller pulley to up the boost, but that was already covered. What about the air intake, cam, rockers, etc.?

I don't know much about performance on these engines. Now give me a LS1 and I can steer you in the right direction. Hmmm....How about an engine swap? Wonder if a 5.7L LS1 would fit? wink

#637660 - 30/08/05 12:12 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

that might be the coolest thing ever posted.

imagine the possibilities?

oh well, back to reality.

#637661 - 30/08/05 12:18 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Naw, stay nissan in a nissan. put in a 350Z motor, TT it and run like 20psi of boost. laugh

besides, if you put in an LS1 make it a 427cid sb chevy wink Gotta love them blocks man. Wish the LT1 could do it.

#637662 - 30/08/05 12:53 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I was you I would focus on suspension mods instead of engine mods. Reason being there are very limited engine mods available where as there are a quite a few suspension mods available for the 2000-04 X's. I just flat out think it's a waste of time and money to try to make the X go faster. Now as far as suspension mods go, you can build a pretty nice rig with what's available.

BTW if your into "tuning" you should know you always address the suspension first before the performance/cosmetics side. Although every Ricer in town feels just the opposite. :rolleyes:

#637663 - 30/08/05 01:04 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that is a matter of opinion. I say performance before suspension for at least one reason i can think of off the top of my head - if you don't provide an ample foundation for the power you are screwed, however, you don't know what is wrong until you try to put the power to the ground..

i get 1.7 60ft times in my vette, you might choose not to argue on this one...

however, of course the only thing that really matters is that when the project is complete there are no conflicting issues, in other words, every mod complements another... So, build in any manner you would like as long as you end up with your ultimate goal being completed.

Also, there are 2wd X's out there correct? if i were to build a pre-runner i would go for power as well as suspension for sure... not everyone is here to rock crawl, please remember that. and also, please respect other people's opinions on the matters at hand, we appreciate input but negative criticism is a waste of mine and your time.

#637664 - 30/08/05 04:06 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
FWIW...

Blown up engine here: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000610

I did go back with the 2.3" pulley, and did this:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000658

good luck.

#637665 - 30/08/05 05:51 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Look at it this way, Xterras get pretty good gas milage compared to other Trucks. My buddies Siilverado lifted on big tires and all that can't even make it to 10 Mpg. Do u want to pay that kind of gas milage, especially these days with gas prices sky rocketing up? I sure as hell wouldn't! all said and done, The Xterra has a powerful enough engine to go wheelin and have a good time in. I have seen some of the craziest things done offroad by Xterras.

#637666 - 30/08/05 06:34 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by oba-j:
I think that is a matter of opinion. I say performance before suspension for at least one reason i can think of off the top of my head - if you don't provide an ample foundation for the power you are screwed, however, you don't know what is wrong until you try to put the power to the ground..

i get 1.7 60ft times in my vette, you might choose not to argue on this one...

however, of course the only thing that really matters is that when the project is complete there are no conflicting issues, in other words, every mod complements another... So, build in any manner you would like as long as you end up with your ultimate goal being completed.

Also, there are 2wd X's out there correct? if i were to build a pre-runner i would go for power as well as suspension for sure... not everyone is here to rock crawl, please remember that. and also, please respect other people's opinions on the matters at hand, we appreciate input but negative criticism is a waste of mine and your time.
Hey man you don't have to take my post personally. I'm just stating a FACT that there ain't too many bolt on's for the X much less internals available. Hence IMO it's a waste of time trying to make the X fast, pffh I mean quick, it will never be fast and guess what, that's just fine with about 90% of the owners here.

Carry on cool

#637667 - 30/08/05 06:35 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrarob04:
Look at it this way, Xterras get pretty good gas milage compared to other Trucks. My buddies Siilverado lifted on big tires and all that can't even make it to 10 Mpg. Do u want to pay that kind of gas milage, especially these days with gas prices sky rocketing up? I sure as hell wouldn't! all said and done, The Xterra has a powerful enough engine to go wheelin and have a good time in. I have seen some of the craziest things done offroad by Xterras.
Agreed. But some of us just have that itch, ya know?

#637668 - 30/08/05 06:44 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by oba-j:
Agreed. But some of us just have that itch, ya know?[/QB]
I know what you mean. laugh

#637669 - 30/08/05 07:12 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by IamThFEAR:
Hey man you don't have to take my post personally. I'm just stating a FACT that there ain't too many bolt on's for the X much less internals available. Hence IMO it's a waste of time trying to make the X fast, pffh I mean quick, it will never be fast and guess what, that's just fine with about 90% of the owners here.

Carry on cool [/QB]
Sorry if it seemed that i was taking your post personally. I actually was not wink However, it does seem that some folks on here forget that this is a place for ALL TYPES of Xterra enthusiasts. We all ahve our passions, our goals, and of course our reality.

Any engine can be built if you tear it apart, i am sure that you can find pistons and rockers and valves and all of the other internals to make the motor beefier. I feel like that is the challenge, anyone can go buy the parts (if they can afford them) to build a 383 SBC, a sick ass MKIV, or any other car. But how many people have taken the challenge of building a VG33E(R)?

#637670 - 31/08/05 07:57 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

oba-j, Paco Pico, black_ws6
You X owners know what I'm looking for. Lets push the limits on these 3.3's. Hopefully not blowing them up. Bad hit on your engine Paco Pico. On the upgrade of valve train and pistons and heads. That would be a great option on a salvaged SC 3.3-L. I may just do that. Build it up internally while still enjoying my stock SC 3.3-L and when I get all done drop in some more ponys. Aslo great specs Paco Pico. They sure will come in Handy!

#637671 - 31/08/05 08:12 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty X:
oba-j, Paco Pico, black_ws6
You X owners know what I'm looking for. Lets push the limits on these 3.3's. Hopefully not blowing them up. Bad hit on your engine Paco Pico. On the upgrade of valve train and pistons and heads. That would be a great option on a salvaged SC 3.3-L. I may just do that. Build it up internally while still enjoying my stock SC 3.3-L and when I get all done drop in some more ponys. Aslo great specs Paco Pico. They sure will come in Handy!
Good luck with the power upgrades. I probably won't be doing anything engine wise to the X. One project is enough for me. I am trying to get the TA into the 11's before winter. I hope to someday lift the X and get some good off road tires and try out some trails. I've never done off roading before, so I'll be learning a lot.

#637672 - 02/09/05 02:41 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone noticing loss of power occasionally on their SC X? if so, here's why. when nissan installed a SC on their trucks (frontier, xterra) they calibrated the knock sensor in with the byapss valve on the super charger. big deal right; if the engine starts knocking don't you want the boost to be bypassed? Absolutely, what they don't tell you is that if your engine knocks for some reason even once (bad gas, on it too hard, etc), the bypass valve will open, disabling the super charger. And, it will never close until you actually shut off the engine and restart. sucks i know, but it's true.

#637673 - 06/09/05 03:23 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

unless you, like me, have removed the bypass from the loop... [Wave]

#637674 - 03/10/05 10:38 AM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just add NO2? Use the 75 HP "pill". Should be a good kick in the pants, and still relatively safe for the motor. Cheapest 75 HP you can add. Affects nothing when not in use, takes only a couple of hours to install.

#637675 - 06/10/05 12:04 PM Re: I want more POWER!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sellin my X soon, trading it for an RX 8.

In my opinion I think the S/C owners could get 300 hp if they kow correctly how to remake the exhaust, up the psi, and fix the ecu. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, I don't think people need to be messing around with internals, look at your headers and think about the 9psi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal