2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#638190 - 30/05/03 05:49 PM Boost Upgrades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone ever hooked up a SC X with the smaller 2.4, 2.3 pulley to a wideband o2 sensor to see if it is running lean at all?

Also any dyno proof of gains by doing this upgrade?

Has anyone done an intercooler or water injection?

I am coming from the FI world of sports cars, and just throwing on a smaller pulley without at least a wideband test seems insane.

Thanks,
Sean

#638191 - 30/05/03 06:17 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
The intercooler would be a great solution. But, being a roots type blower, how would you adapt it?

#638192 - 30/05/03 06:25 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
ok not being much of an S/C wiz, I can tell you what I have read here and know from other applications.

Has anyone ever hooked up a SC X with the smaller 2.4, 2.3 pulley to a wideband o2 sensor to see if it is running lean at all?

not that i know of, but you bring up a good point... I imagine it is indeed running lean, unless of coarse the ECM is sophisticated enough to adjust mixture, which is possible.

Also any dyno proof of gains by doing this upgrade?

I seem to recal someone dyno-ing their truck with the pulley upgrade. I can not remember who. maybe it Pacopico.

Has anyone done an intercooler or water injection?

I think Water injection is on a lot of peoples "To do" list, I don't recall anyone doing it to an Xterra yet, but I do believe there is at least on Frontier running H2O Injection.

I don't believe an intercooler would work, i seem to recal something about a lack of space.

#638193 - 31/05/03 11:03 AM Re: Boost Upgrades
JayzX Offline

Loc: Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
Why not hook up an OBDII datalogger and see what the O2 sensor is telling the computer? It would be a lot easier then hooking the X up to a dyno.

You could ask the Pulley maker what numbers they saw during their R&D period.

As far as making the X lean, I'd say it's leaner, but I doubt it's too lean for it's own good. I have not read about anyone's S/C X blowing an engine from detonation.

"What are you gonna make me do? Wack a guy? Off a guy? Wack-off a guy? Cuz I'm married!" - Peter (The Family Guy)

#638194 - 31/05/03 04:49 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
perna Offline

pulleys and water injection has been discused alot on TUNFS, a couple people just put in the water injection kits. Seems like there were alot of mixed reviews about it, but you can go there and check for yourself.

#638195 - 01/06/03 01:51 AM Re: Boost Upgrades
JayzX Offline

Loc: Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
Could you post links to the discussions on that board? I would like to read the discussions, just don't want to spend the time searching another Board. Not lazy, just trying to manage my time online so I can still be a real-time Dad to my kids. smile

"What are you gonna make me do? Wack a guy? Off a guy? Wack-off a guy? Cuz I'm married!" - Peter (The Family Guy)

#638196 - 01/06/03 05:39 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
[QB]I seem to recal someone dyno-ing their truck with the pulley upgrade. I can not remember who. maybe it Pacopico.[QB]
Must have been someone else...I haven't yet, but I do have a friend with a Electro-magnetic chassis dyno, that even can calculate 1/4 mile times @ speed...I'll have to get over there one day!

#638197 - 01/06/03 07:35 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
ayellowone Offline

Loc: PA
I purchased a SC pulley but haven't installed it yet. I suppose I could hook up my wideband meter and check out the air fuel before and after I perform the install... smile

#638198 - 01/06/03 09:10 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I read on a previous post that you can still use the stock belt with the smaller pulley, is this true?

#638199 - 02/06/03 05:40 AM Re: Boost Upgrades
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ayellowone,

If you would be willing to do a wideband log before and after, this would be a huge benefit to the whole X community in my option. If you do, please post the results.

For my part I plan on doing a baseline dyno, and a intake/exhaust dyno once I get the money up to do it. I am convinced that the SC-X has allot more power at stock boost levels, I think it is just badly restricted by the exhaust pluming.

Now if only a real company would make a set of headers.
:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Sean

#638200 - 02/06/03 08:56 AM Re: Boost Upgrades
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
The stock belt will work down to a 2.3" pulley (at least)

#638201 - 02/06/03 09:16 AM Re: Boost Upgrades
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know some other aftermarket SC kits for other cars see ~1 PSI boost by going to Gatorback belts because they grip so much better.

I wonder if this would be the case here. Hmm, need to get a boost gauge installed. laugh

Sean

#638202 - 03/06/03 05:24 PM Re: Boost Upgrades
justblueX Offline

Loc: Yuma
I put the 2.3 pulley and a Calmini Cat-back. I noticed crappy milage and black soot on tailpipe, indicative of running rich. I do enjoy the performance gains (I get 10PSI at 6500rpm), (seat of the pants dyno). I would like to hook mine up to a wideband O2 (and dyno) and am considering an HKS S-AFC to adjust the fuel mixture. There isn't any tuner shops in my area and a wideband sensor with readouts (and logging) are $700 and up, not including laptop. Any ideas? I'm sure with proper fuel mixture I'd get a little more performance and better mileage.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal