2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#638313 - 06/05/08 04:38 PM K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, so I just got my 2005 nisan Xterra a week ago and was hoping to put on a new air intake to make it sound a little better, help the gas a tiny bit, and give it a bit more horse power. I can't pick between the K&N or the nismo ait intake. Which one do you all think is better. I looked around on the forum but couldn't find anying about this. Thanks

#638314 - 06/05/08 05:17 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05xterragray:
hey, so I just got my 2005 nisan Xterra a week ago and was hoping to put on a new set of bigger tires to wheel with , help the offroad traction tiny bit, and give it a bit ground clearance with a lift. Thanks
^^fixed it for you^^

(sorry, couldn't help myself [Freak] )

#638315 - 06/05/08 06:28 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

haha how about we start with taking baby steps. I won't be able to afford bigger tires with the rate the gas is going! So how about those cold air intakes for starters.

#638316 - 07/05/08 02:04 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was helpful wasn't it?

Nismo and K&N would be pretty much the same just different pricing. You really should be debating over a K&N/Nismo style intake or an enclosed intake like a volant.

#638317 - 07/05/08 07:52 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I have the Nismo in my 05 and love it.. wink

#638318 - 07/05/08 07:17 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get a volant!

#638319 - 07/05/08 08:00 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

How would an Air raid intake stack up against the K&N, Volant and the Nismo set ups? I'm looking to do the same as "05Xterra" since I already have slightly bigger tires now (Nitto Terra Graplers) to go with the ARB bull bar...a few more ponies and a couple extra MPG's would be NICE. 3 inch lift kit on the way too. When does this addiction stop anyways?

#638320 - 09/05/08 06:43 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

How much more hp and increase in gas milage do you get with a Nismo or K&N intake? I been thinking about getting one or other.

alpine4

#638321 - 09/05/08 07:39 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to burst your bubble. You're stock intake will inhale more than enough air for the motor to properly manage. You really won't feel any HP from a Cold Air Intake (CAI). To receive any worthwhile gain it must be combined with lifters, cam, exhaust.

What you will experience with the CAI is more intake noise making you believe you've spent your money wisely achieving more HP. Noise never equals power, if it did my wife would be president of this known universe. Look at the CAI HP gain charts. The HP gain is near the very high end of the RPMs certainly not were sane folks drive their daily driver. Also, there's this Butt Dyno Syndrome, folks believe their butt can feel the difference. What they did was press the gas peddle further making the Xterra move out more smartly. D'uh!

As for gas mileage, nothing you'll notice truly. Too many variables to consider, ambient temperature, wind, road grade, how far in front of you is another vehicle, how fast you're now driving the list goes on. If CAI produced more HP and mileage auto manufactures would, with today's gas prices certainly include them. You'd hear them screaming their advantages over TV, radio, the web, etc. You want better mileage, slow down 5 MPH, make sure your tires are properly inflated, dump the extra weight, etc.. CAI won't help, it's wishful thinking with tons of hype.

It doesn't get any more simple than that. How do I know, been there done that got that tee shirt; waisted way too much money. Place your money someplace else more worthy such as a $35 Idler Arm Bracket (IAB). Nope, won't help neither HP nor mileage but, it will keep the weak IAB connected to your Xterra.

#638322 - 09/05/08 08:57 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the truth, that's all I needed to know.

#638323 - 09/05/08 10:48 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only reason I got one for my first gen was because the volant mates up perfectly with a snorkel (which is my next purchase). Since the second gens dont have a snorkel available yet I wouldnt spend the money on an intake.

#638324 - 10/05/08 12:17 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RicD:

Noise never equals power, if it did my wife would be president of this known universe.
Wow, I nominate that in the top ten list of awesome one-liners of xoc
[ThumbsUp]

#638325 - 10/05/08 09:23 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing to think about is that the nismo is not street legal. Come inspection time that wouldn't be too fun

#638326 - 10/05/08 11:26 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Oceancitysurf77:
One thing to think about is that the nismo is not street legal. Come inspection time that wouldn't be too fun
Why wouldnt it be? I think it might just be your state that it isn't legal cuz I have not heard of such things down here in NC.

#638327 - 11/05/08 07:55 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been around a few sites saying that it's for off road use only

Here is one example at 4x4parts.com

4x4

It says the same thing for both intakes no matter what year you have.

#638328 - 11/05/08 02:50 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

4x4

It probably says not for street use because there is a state or two that aftermarket intakes are illegal in. Why would NISMO, a nissan aftermarket company sell parts that are not legal on the streets?

#638329 - 15/05/08 11:22 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

IDK that's just what it says... I have a Volant which is currently not under the hood but is waiting.

#638330 - 16/05/08 11:30 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
IDK that's just what it says... I have a Volant which is currently not under the hood but is waiting.
Good Choice [ThumbsUp]

#638331 - 25/05/08 10:33 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ended up getting the nismo cold air intake and really like it! It sounds great

#638332 - 26/05/08 05:43 AM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake??
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:

4x4

I think they're saying that to protect their asses from people buying them and it not passing and trying to get the money back or sueing them.

I honestly have never heard of anyone failing an inspection for having an intake. I have one in both of my X's and pass with flying colors. wink

#638333 - 26/08/09 05:18 PM Re: K&N or Nismo cold air intake?? [Re: RI Xterra]
ryanmcrorie Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
I recently installed the K&N Cold Air Intake Filter, it definitely adds more power - I only wish I did it years ago. A throaty noise comes with it, but I am used to it now.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal