2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639855 - 07/03/08 07:39 PM Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With gas prices headed the way theyre headed, I was once again thinking of how to better my gas mileage. I know this topic is beyond frequent on here and I know many of the standard solutions, but I was thinking of a new one that I had not seen discussed here. Has anyone tried reducing weight by removing stuff in their X and seen any difference in mileage? Its performance improvement at the most basic level. Im not talking about racing where you fill tires with nitrogen, make everything carbon fiber,etc. But maybe shedding a few hundred lbs by removing some stuff like the back seats, the tool kit tray, the floor mats, i dont know. Even the spare tire and jack (but thats a little risky obviously). Anyone done this or can anyong think of some more stuff that could be easily removed temporarily? I already removed the plastic roof crap a long time ago. I might give this a shot to see if I notice any improvement.

#639856 - 07/03/08 07:55 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

External stuff will help with wind drag, like the rack, airdam, step bars. Internal stuff has way less to do with fuel economy. Air the tires to the sidewall rating, and drive like you are paying ~$0.30 per mile.. Don't put your foot into it, and keep the top speed down..

#639857 - 07/03/08 07:58 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

well if you want to get nutz. Skid plates and step rails. The air damn will actually save gas unless you take off the whole rack. Keep your RPMs down and change your air filter, oil, and diff fluid.

#639858 - 07/03/08 08:11 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sway bar & mud flaps

laugh

#639859 - 08/03/08 07:28 AM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Imagine picking a girl (or anyone) up in your X. They ask you..where's your back seats? "Well I took them out to save gas." Then imagine the look you'll get. I read in last month's car and driver of a machine they installed in one of their cars. It lights up in LED's from red to green. As long as the LED's are in the green your driving as fuel efficent and possible. If the red LED's come on your either accelerating or braking too hard and your wasting fuel. I did a quick google search for it but didn't come up w/ anything. I'm sure if you were interested enough you could find one.

#639860 - 08/03/08 08:22 AM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
You won't find "a few hundred pounds" pulling out stuff like floor mats and the tool tray. My gear basket is off the roof for weight reasons but I understand it's probably not saving me enough to even be worth it. I seldom use it though so off it went. Removed my step rails and mudflaps too but that was because I like the look better.

Some have removed their spare tire to save weight. Not me...odds are it won't be needed, but if it is, it'll be needed bad. laugh

#639861 - 08/03/08 08:23 AM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
Imagine picking a girl up in your X. They ask you..where's your back seats? "Well I took them out to save gas." Then imagine the look you'll get.
Going to have to try that line

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
I read in last month's car and driver of a machine they installed in one of their cars. It lights up in LED's from red to green. As long as the LED's are in the green your driving as fuel efficent and possible. If the red LED's come on your either accelerating or braking too hard and your wasting fuel. I did a quick google search for it but didn't come up w/ anything. I'm sure if you were interested enough you could find one.
Interesting idea although I used to hate the shift indicator on my sis's old Jeep. A 4-banger pushing 33's and it wants me to shift into fifth??

**News Link** Found kinda what you were talking about. Looks like Nissan will be putting them in new models soon

I took my tire out from underneath and put it on top of the X so it wouldn't be so heavy on the frame.

#639862 - 08/03/08 10:18 AM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the Scangauge II monitors MPG live too right? I'm thinking about getting one, since it can be carried over to other vehicles as well, in case I sell my X.

#639863 - 08/03/08 05:20 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw that C&D article with the gas mileage LED thing. Believe me I already drive like a grandma. Try to keep the tach below 2k, 2.5k max and the brake pedal is used sparingly.

For those who have removed the step rails, about how much do they weigh? Im guessing not much since theyre aluminum.

#639864 - 08/03/08 06:58 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Skatchkins:
I took my tire out from underneath and put it on top of the X so it wouldn't be so heavy on the frame.
Is the entire truck not sitting on the frame?? Weight is weight... you just moved it's location, but the weight is still on the vehicle. By putting it on top I'd say you decreased your economy by adding more drag. If anything, put it inside.

#639865 - 08/03/08 08:43 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Wanna reduce the wieght in your X?

Go on a diet. laugh

#639866 - 09/03/08 12:54 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#639867 - 09/03/08 02:59 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Saw an article somewhere about a test, that for every extra 100 lbs you lose about 3% mpg. True or not who knows. I do know it affects it, load it up and take a drive.

#639868 - 09/03/08 03:29 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hm bru15, that sounds interesting.Thats pretty significant. 200 lbs is over 5% which is about 1 mpg for me. Hm.

About going on a diet... Im weighing in at a lean 175 right now. Actually trying to gain some weight. So thats not gonna happen. haha

#639869 - 09/03/08 03:52 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bru15:
Saw an article somewhere about a test, that for every extra 100 lbs you lose about 3% mpg. True or not who knows. I do know it affects it, load it up and take a drive.
Probably true. I know that every 100 lbs = 1/10 second slower 0-60.

#639870 - 09/03/08 04:05 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

whats the baseline motor for that Ebeauchea? im sure 100 pounds would affect a 4 cyl more than a v8..

#639871 - 09/03/08 04:54 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is time that America learn the art of drafting, Lance Armstrong does it, so does Jeff Gordon!

#639872 - 09/03/08 07:17 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by theunderseaclub:
It is time that America learn the art of drafting, Lance Armstrong does it, so does Jeff Gordon!
Yeah...I think it's called tail-gating, and in the real world it might work to save a little fuel, but there'd be a lot more road rage, and accidents, which would raise insurance prices, thus your minimal fuel savings would go to pay for higher insurance costs. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

#639873 - 09/03/08 07:31 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by trout lake tuna:
Quote:
[b]It is time that America learn the art of drafting, Lance Armstrong does it, so does Jeff Gordon!
Yeah...I think it's called tail-gating, and in the real world it might work to save a little fuel, but there'd be a lot more road rage, and accidents, which would raise insurance prices, thus your minimal fuel savings would go to pay for higher insurance costs. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.[/b]
Eh?

#639874 - 09/03/08 08:01 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewH:
whats the baseline motor for that Ebeauchea? im sure 100 pounds would affect a 4 cyl more than a v8..
Ebeauchea has a penchant for making stuff up.

By that I mean he's a liar. There are plenty of examples in threads of him Lying in one form or another.

I'm sure he'll post with some answer to your question, but it'll probably be as accurate as a blind bowler.

Although, I guarantee you the 0-60 time of the engine would definately be reduced if Ebeauchea shipped the engine somewhere.

#639875 - 10/03/08 01:40 AM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
Wanna reduce the wieght in your X?

Go on a diet. laugh
U beat me to the joke, was going to say
go on the atkin's [LOL]

#639876 - 10/03/08 06:06 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
Originally posted by trout lake tuna:
[b]
Quote:
[b]It is time that America learn the art of drafting, Lance Armstrong does it, so does Jeff Gordon!
Yeah...I think it's called tail-gating, and in the real world it might work to save a little fuel, but there'd be a lot more road rage, and accidents, which would raise insurance prices, thus your minimal fuel savings would go to pay for higher insurance costs. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.[/b]
Eh?

[/b]

....you sure are funny boy heehaa!

#639877 - 10/03/08 11:39 PM Re: Temporary Weight Reduction?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In drag racing, yes the all mighty power to weight ratio is king.. in the real world, it is drag vs fuel economy. The first gen xterra are about as aerodynamic as a shoe box. ANYTHING to help that will increas mpg's. As far as the weight thing, on flat ground an object in motion tends to want to stay in motion.. as in almost no difference. uphill, you are burning fuel to lift it up, and from a stop, you are burning fuel to get it moving.
Look at the space shuttle, lots of fuel to get it up there, and up to speed, then nada for millions of miles.. (about 17000 mph)

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal