shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#640218 - 21/05/03 01:10 AM Rear Brake Upgrade
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ran a search with no results found...

Has anyone swapped out those nasty drums for some quality rear disc brakes? If so what company did you go with? Thanks in advance

#640219 - 21/05/03 01:20 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Stillen makes some for $1300 or so. You would also have to upgrade your 15" wheels to 16" wheels and buy new tires..

Rear disks will do little to increase stopping performance. The Xterra ranked very high in SUV's for stopping ability in stock form.

#640220 - 21/05/03 07:59 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yup, 130 feet is better than quite a few passenger cars and some sports cars. Waste of $ and all you'll really gain is self-cleaning brakes.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#640221 - 21/05/03 08:23 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info... Come to think of it when I tested the brakes the other day she did want to stand straight up on her nose. Atleast that's how she felt to me and the 2 guys in the truck at the time.

#640222 - 21/05/03 11:54 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Agreed, the rear disc brake option won't really help you. There is a kit out there for cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads though that would probally help you out more. I remember reading about it on here some where but don't remember where.

#640223 - 21/05/03 11:57 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedin Z32:

Thanks for the info... Come to think of it when I tested the brakes the other day she did want to stand straight up on her nose. Atleast that's how she felt to me and the 2 guys in the truck at the time.
That sounds like crappy stock shocks to me. My truck nose dived during hard braking even when new. Things are OK now after installing Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#640224 - 21/05/03 01:53 PM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Mine dives with Bilstiens, CALMINI shocks or stock shocks since shocks aren't the issue... spring rate is.

#640225 - 21/05/03 03:07 PM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Agreed, the rear disc brake option won't really help you. There is a kit out there for cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads though that would probally help you out more. I remember reading about it on here some where but don't remember where.
ChuckH has done that. We never officially did a breaking test, but I know the brake pedal is firmer and the truck stops better.

-Rick

#640226 - 22/05/03 09:14 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
speedfreak Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Gotta give t5hanks to cost-cutting on this one. My old '93 Pathfinder had 4 wheel disc brakes but the '01 Pathfinder and '03X have rear drums. Backwards engineering od cost-cutting or both?!?!?! Maybe a cost effective conversion would be to use '93 Pathfinder parts.....15" wheels were standard then.

#640227 - 22/05/03 10:06 AM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Most old Pathfinders had drums, the discs were on the SE models.

Drums do the job just fine, thank you. Why should Nissan spend the extra $ on discs?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#640228 - 22/05/03 01:27 PM Re: Rear Brake Upgrade
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
I have cross-drilled rotors and carbon fiber pads up front on my Frontier along with AC's stainless steel brake lines and my pedal feel is a lot better and i have less fade than before. Never really had a way to measure before and after stopping distances tho.
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal