shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#640525 - 16/06/05 08:42 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

I work at an airport and some of the guys here at work take jet fuel (which is a diesel/kero. mix.) home to their farms and use it in their diesel tractors and farm trucks(i guess its a close mixture to dyed "offroad" diesel). so you could probably run a mixture like that (if you can get the percentages right) and save some money. im not sure how it would effect the motor in the long run tho.

#640526 - 16/06/05 10:00 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
datz510 Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I wouldnt worry about the 130hp rating on a diesel engine. If its a turbodiesel, you can gain anywhere from 50-100% power output just by installing a chip.. Diesels are a whole different animal to what most people are used to, because the power output is directly proportional to how much fuel (and air) you dump into it. Since diesel engines operate on a variable mixture ratio rather than stoichiometric (14.7:1 for gas engines), it makes it a whole lot easier to make gobs of power just by adding more fuel to the fire.

So, dont fret the power ratings.. chances are it'll blow away what you are driving now, right off the lot. Add a few simple performance upgrades and it'd be a monster making 2-3x the power output of your current engine.

For example, the 7.3L turbodiesel in my Ford F250 is rated for 225hp and about 490ftlb of torque. A $300 chip is all it takes to bump that up to ~320hp and ~700ftlb. Thats enough power to motivate my 4 ton (8,000+lb) truck from 0-60 in about 7-8 seconds, yet it gets 17-18mpg on the road. Try that with a gas engine!

smile

#640527 - 16/06/05 11:41 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

The other vehicle I was looking at before I bought my 2005 4x4 S was the Ram 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel (610 ftlbs and about 350hp). The engine is sweet.

Put a scaled down version of that engine in the XT, and I couldn't be happier.

-z

#640528 - 21/06/05 06:38 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by datz510:
For example, the 7.3L turbodiesel in my Ford F250 is rated for 225hp and about 490ftlb of torque. A $300 chip is all it takes to bump that up to ~320hp and ~700ftlb. Thats enough power to motivate my 4 ton (8,000+lb) truck from 0-60 in about 7-8 seconds, yet it gets 17-18mpg on the road. Try that with a gas engine!

smile
ditto, that's what i just got out of and it was rigged almost the exact same same way (BUT, the truck is only 6k {mine was a 4x4, 4dr, short box}. even the low won't push it much faster top end than now but the low end is STOUT. and upgrades are easy for power. just dump more fuel and air into it and get it out quicker. little adjusment on timing.

highway+headwind = no problem
highway+headwind+a/c = no problem
sluggish power and gear hunting w/ bigger tires and stock gears = no problem.

#640529 - 21/06/05 06:40 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

i know there is one in the last model but do they currently sell the 05 in a diesel somewhere ??

and more importantly, can it be brought over?

#640530 - 27/06/05 08:00 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I have insider info that they are doing gasket testing on a diesel engine for the Frontier right now

#640531 - 30/06/05 06:49 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
poe67 Offline

Loc: Bar Harbor, ME
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Quote:
Originally posted by switchinggears:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by Xterra Kid 2003:
I dont know about everywhere else but right now diesel is running about $2.50 gal and regular unleaded is about $2.08. Kinda negates buying a diesel to save on fuel costs. I'm still signing the patition though.
Not really, because you can run Diesels on Bio-Diesel or straight filtered Waste Vegatable oil (which is free).[/b]
say bye bye to your warrentty if you do that![/b]
True, just wait till your warranty is gone...or take the risk.

My dad has been doing it for 40,000 miles on a 1997 Passat and has had no problems.

I agree with Lincoln. I have 3 friends that are currently making bio-diesel at their homes. 1 of them has a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI. Biodiesel will not void his warranty. That was the first question he asked at the VW dealership.

The older cars and truck that my friends run have been converted with an additional tank to run straight grease. So now they have 2 tanks. They start there car on Biodiesel and then switch over to straight grease once the car is heated up.

I am in the process of looking for an 89 Jetta diesel to convert over to a grease system and would defenitely buy a new X if it comes with a diesel.

#640532 - 30/06/05 07:23 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Lincoln Offline

That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

If you are looking for a kit, ask me and I will hook you up with my dad.

#640533 - 30/06/05 07:34 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QUOTE]Nissan is bringing the Diesel to the Titan in the next year or so, why not the Xterra???
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink

#640534 - 30/06/05 09:02 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Lincoln Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink
I am with you, defiantly considering buying a Titan, but will wait till the Diesel.

#640535 - 30/06/05 09:38 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
yup, cause 34 signatures really don't amount to shit.

#640536 - 30/06/05 10:57 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
poe67 Offline

Quote:
That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks Lincoln. My friends are all running the Grease system from http://www.greasecar.com/ .

#640537 - 30/06/05 11:00 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual/specifications.asp

Here's a link to Nissan Australia. The Navara (Frontier) in Australia is avalable with a diesel engine. Now how come they get a cool rig like that and we dont? I have to say my dream rig is a small suv with a diesel engine, granny low first gear, and a solid front axle. (Keep dreaming I know)

I've wanted a diesel for year's. It seems like over seas they are reaping the benifits of diesel powered vehicles and have been for years. Lets face it you get more power and better gas milage. Even if diesel costs 25c more per gallon you are getting right back through your milage and then some.

Sign the petition and give it a chance, maby if all the members sighned the thing it would make some one at least consider it. If nissan is smart they will listen to their buyer's.

Remember: Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars.

#640538 - 30/06/05 11:04 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh and by the way, a snorkel is a factory option!

#640539 - 30/06/05 06:59 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

i guess they don't have the new body styles yet.

i tell you what, the Patrol is waaaay cool. screw the armada.

http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/

#640540 - 30/06/05 11:34 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
show me one single petition from petitiononline.com, that's actually changed anything. And then I'll go sign the silly thing...

It's a waste of time. Nissan isn't in a hurry to bring a diesel here; nomoreso than any other manufacturer? Why? 'Cause the public perception is horrible (thanks GM...), and our diesel emissions rules mean they have to design/build an entirely new engine, to meet it. Nissan's too small of a company, to build a seperate engine for such a small niche market. Cry all you want; it's just not gonna' happen anytime soon.
Funny.. you just wasted more time typing this than signing the petition. [Freak]

#640541 - 30/06/05 11:49 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]show me one single petition from petitiononline.com, that's actually changed anything. And then I'll go sign the silly thing...

It's a waste of time. Nissan isn't in a hurry to bring a diesel here; nomoreso than any other manufacturer? Why? 'Cause the public perception is horrible (thanks GM...), and our diesel emissions rules mean they have to design/build an entirely new engine, to meet it. Nissan's too small of a company, to build a seperate engine for such a small niche market. Cry all you want; it's just not gonna' happen anytime soon.
Funny.. you just wasted more time typing this than signing the petition. [Freak] [/b]
nope. i type fast.

#640542 - 01/07/05 10:31 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
poe67 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by waterman7474:
i guess they don't have the new body styles yet.

i tell you what, the Patrol is waaaay cool. screw the armada.

http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/
I drove an Patrol when I was in Australia 3 years ago at a 4X4 expo in Sydney. I WANT ONE!

#640543 - 01/07/05 10:58 AM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by poe67:
Quote:
[b]That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks Lincoln. My friends are all running the Grease system from http://www.greasecar.com/ .[/b]
A much better resource for SVO conversions is Greasel .

#640544 - 01/07/05 01:18 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by blue02:
Now how come they get a cool rig like that and we dont?
Our diesel has a shitload of sulfur compared to theirs. Will change next year (let the games begin!)

#640545 - 02/07/05 03:41 PM Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
They are working with International who makes the Power Strokes for Ford. Instead of starting with the Power Stroke block Nissan decided they wanted to have International start from scratch and build a more powerful diesel engine. Rumors are the 2006 Titan will have a diesel option during the production year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Quote:
[b][QUOTE]Nissan is bringing the Diesel to the Titan in the next year or so, why not the Xterra???
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink [/b]
EOE...Opening Soon!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal