shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#640708 - 08/03/06 10:32 AM Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont know which one to decide on..

a K&N Filter or a K&N Intakes...

i know i would get more HP from a Intake...
but hmm...dunno..becuz i can get about at least 5 to 10 on a filter...

so wat do yall have...
filter or intake...

#640709 - 08/03/06 02:09 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont waste your money with a intake. The K&N and the AirRaid filters just get the MAFS dirtier than normal. You wont notice a difference in performance, the only thing you will notice is how much more gas your using because your pressing on the pedal harder to hear the sound comming from the intake. I had an AirRaid intake on my 04. I was cleaning the MAFS more often than I should have. And yes it was oiled correctly. If you oil those filters too much, you will ruin the MAFS because the oil from the filter will get on the fine wires of the sensor.

#640710 - 08/03/06 06:40 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was wondering the same thing... i have not committed either way just yet but i am leaning towards the filter. it sounds like for the money it is the better choice. i like the intake for the look and sound... not sure there is much of a performance boost unless you install aftermarket exhaust.

#640711 - 08/03/06 07:11 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
I vote for filter, especially if you plan on doing any water crossings. You'll have the additional sealing of the stock airbox to help prevent water intrusion.

I've had a K&N for about 30k miles on my first Xterra, then cleaned and reoiled it and put it in my current truck, where it's been for almost another 20k miles. Never had a problem with the MAF sensor wires oiling up - and I check them regularly.

#640712 - 08/03/06 07:24 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Honestly, I ran a K&N in my X for nearly 10,000 miles. I took it off temorarily while K&N was awaiting to get cleaned and replaced with stock filter. I felt no difference.

I would not take the rist, I took out the K&N and decided to stick with regular filers. My engine is worth more to me, especially since I saw no difference in performance not mileage what so ever.

#640713 - 08/03/06 08:25 PM Re: Filter or Intake
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Honestly, I ran a K&N in my X for nearly 10,000 miles. I took it off temorarily while K&N was awaiting to get cleaned and replaced with stock filter. I felt no difference.

I would not take the rist, I took out the K&N and decided to stick with regular filers. My engine is worth more to me, especially since I saw no difference in performance not mileage what so ever.
Yea, same here. I have had mine for about 10k and I keep a close watch on mileage and no change. One thing I noticed living here in the South West is that a regular filter has allot more dirt on it after 10k than my K&N. I'm thinking it's letting too much dirt in. I'm thinking of going back to a regular also!

#640714 - 08/03/06 09:25 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

well thanks for everybodys help..

but i decided to go with a Filter..since if ever do any off roading and i get mud or water it wont hurt the filter...since is in the box...then a intake...

and dang...i had to Order dis filter...from AutoZone..then they dont carry dis..is special order...

#640715 - 10/03/06 03:15 PM Re: Filter or Intake
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:

That is interesting, I stopped on the way home from the dealership and purchased a drop in panel filter. The truck had less than 100 miles on it and I kept it under 3 grand throughout the breakin period so I never really knew if it made a difference. Truthfully, I can't see it freeing up more than a couple of horsepower on the X. But I add K&N filters to all my vehicles so why not the X to.
That is also a good point about having a K&N system in the Southwest with all the dust.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal