shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643826 - 18/10/04 10:38 AM Re: Converting Nissan Xterra 3.3L V6 to Supercharged
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you get the 20 hp per lb of boost?
there is ~15 psi at sea level for 180 hp.
This puts the na motor at 12hp / lb.
The sc adds heat to the mix, so timing has to be retarded and premium burned..
Keep in mind, it takes hp to compress that much air / flow rate..
~5hp / lb isn't that bad for a 3.3 after the losses.
The heads are not designed for high hp, not smooth enough flow. The cams are designed more for torque then HP. Get a 5.0 mustang with other goodies, and you may make 30hp/lb..

#643827 - 18/10/04 03:36 PM Re: Converting Nissan Xterra 3.3L V6 to Supercharged
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
How do you get the 20 hp per lb of boost?
there is ~15 psi at sea level for 180 hp.
This puts the na motor at 12hp / lb.
The sc adds heat to the mix, so timing has to be retarded and premium burned..
Keep in mind, it takes hp to compress that much air / flow rate..
~5hp / lb isn't that bad for a 3.3 after the losses.
The heads are not designed for high hp, not smooth enough flow. The cams are designed more for torque then HP. Get a 5.0 mustang with other goodies, and you may make 30hp/lb..
I guess I didn't take in into account that the HP/lb of boost varies on several other things.

However, the 300ZXTT has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and runs 9.5 psi and produces 300 HP and 284 lb/tq. The N/A version makes 222 HP at 10.5:1 so we know the TT version makes CONSIDERABLE less all motor at 8.5:1.

I think this is a bit closer to my estimate of ~20 HP/ lb of boost but not 100% accurate.

#643828 - 18/10/04 08:26 PM Re: Converting Nissan Xterra 3.3L V6 to Supercharged
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FlawlezZ32:
I guess I didn't take in into account that the HP/lb of boost varies on several other things.

However, the 300ZXTT has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and runs 9.5 psi and produces 300 HP and 284 lb/tq. The N/A version makes 222 HP at 10.5:1 so we know the TT version makes CONSIDERABLE less all motor at 8.5:1.
Compare the torque curves.. The vg33 is almost flat. Good for towing a heavy truck around.
A small peak torque is almost useless for offroading.. look at the rps's for the peaks also. at 1200 the xterra is pulling quite hard (butt dino), by contrast my ninja doesn't do squat till 4k, around 6 to 7k you better be holding on tight, and don't forget to shift at around 11k.. that bike makes almost the same horsepower as my truck, (ok a little less, but still).Put that motor in the truck, and you will be chewing chutches like mad. Lots of horsepower, not really any useable torque at the low end.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal