shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#643847 - 28/06/05 09:47 PM headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

after buying an exhaust and intake i am looking into buying the SLR headers. i have searched in past post but not all my questions have been answered completely. my first question is will it work with my supercharged model, 2nd is are there any reason not to get it (i.e. will it hurt my engine in the long run) and 3rd will it be a pain in the ass to install/ will all the O2 sensers work and other misc things. Keep in mind that i have all the tools, i have a rubicon i can drive while im working on it, and i dont really care about emitions standards and taking of the cat converters

#643848 - 29/06/05 06:19 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

i can tell you for certain it will hurt your engine over time. anyhting aftyermraket going on or in your engine puts more stress on it and makes it wear quicker...not noticable at first but will wear it down faster than it should be.

#643849 - 29/06/05 10:09 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

today i decided to call slr and answer my question if the headers will work with a supercharged engine and the guy said that it should not be a problem. also he said that they have worked out the problems that they had with there being too many holes or whtever the past posts said before. i am still needing input from anyone that has them to see if they are having any problems with them.

#643850 - 29/06/05 02:58 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cobain913:
i can tell you for certain it will hurt your engine over time. anyhting aftyermraket going on or in your engine puts more stress on it and makes it wear quicker...not noticable at first but will wear it down faster than it should be.
so intake and exhaust are bad also.?

-Robb-

#643851 - 29/06/05 06:13 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same type of upgrades, and have searched everywhere to find headers. where did you find them or where is the best place to get them?

#643852 - 29/06/05 07:02 PM Re: headers
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
I'd like to see some proof of this. confused

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#643853 - 29/06/05 08:40 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

fastburn, the only place i have found is slr-- wwwspencerlowracing.com

#643854 - 30/06/05 07:44 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmm......
what about clear tail lights??

sorry to post whore but....

#643855 - 30/06/05 08:58 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

the opinion that aftermarket parts will ruin your engine is just that. an opinion from a conservative person who doesn't like change. i can tell you that i will be getting intake and exhaust, and will do a before and after dyno to compare. after i check out the jet ecu reflash out some more. i think that the jet reflash, intake and exhaust will be a good increase.

#643856 - 30/06/05 09:26 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want headers!!! I skeerd of what the dealer might say.. They might void my ext warranty and regular warranty..

#643857 - 27/07/05 06:25 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, so I just had to register to get a reply into this one. To make it short headers WILL NOT damage your engine. In fact headers actually HELP with engine longevity due to the release of backpressure. They increase HP, lower torque, and increase gas mileage. As far as factory warranties are concerned the headers will void your warrenty, so not a good idea for newer vehicles. I used to be a 240 fanatic, and did extensive modification, so please do not tell me I have no idea what I am talking about. To the original poster: If you can afford headers and want to do it I say go for it. Probably won't make quite the power gains you are looking for, but definately an interesting mod on an SUV

#643858 - 27/07/05 06:34 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by sanmiam:
OK, so I just had to register to get a reply into this one. To make it short headers WILL NOT damage your engine. In fact headers actually HELP with engine longevity due to the release of backpressure. They increase HP, lower torque, and increase gas mileage. As far as factory warranties are concerned the headers will void your warrenty, so not a good idea for newer vehicles. I used to be a 240 fanatic, and did extensive modification, so please do not tell me I have no idea what I am talking about. To the original poster: If you can afford headers and want to do it I say go for it. Probably won't make quite the power gains you are looking for, but definately an interesting mod on an SUV
Greetings and welcome - I totally agree with your assesment. I used to be a hot rodder in high school and put headers on both my '65 El Camino and my '70 GTO. It only makes the exhaust flow more efficient. How is that going to hurt the engine - it doesn't. BUT, if the engine is under warranty - I would hesitate ONLY because the dealer could use it as an out if your engine needed repairs. They can be very underhanded - some of them anyway.

#643859 - 27/07/05 07:14 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NYCe_XTerra:
Quote:
[b]i can tell you for certain it will hurt your engine over time. anyhting aftyermraket going on or in your engine puts more stress on it and makes it wear quicker...not noticable at first but will wear it down faster than it should be.

-Robb-[/b]
that's not so bad but things liek headers and superchargers make the engine work harder. higher rpms and such make it go quicker. i mean i would hope you arent putting headers on an offroad X. you would lose a considerable amount of torque for the gain of more hp which is worthless for most of us

#643860 - 27/07/05 08:25 PM Re: headers
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
that's not so bad but things liek headers and superchargers make the engine work harder. higher rpms and such make it go quicker. i mean i would hope you arent putting headers on an offroad X. you would lose a considerable amount of torque for the gain of more hp which is worthless for most of us
Your engine only works harder if YOU make it to. Headers alone does not make the engine work "harder" in any way; it only enhances combustion efficiency (though at higher rpms).

The onlything that can really hurt your engine is adding forced induction (turbo, blower, nitrous) on engines not designed for it.

#643861 - 28/07/05 10:43 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now you're just making stuff up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by NYCe_XTerra:
[b]
Quote:
[b]i can tell you for certain it will hurt your engine over time. anyhting aftyermraket going on or in your engine puts more stress on it and makes it wear quicker...not noticable at first but will wear it down faster than it should be.

-Robb-[/b]
that's not so bad but things liek headers and superchargers make the engine work harder. higher rpms and such make it go quicker. i mean i would hope you arent putting headers on an offroad X. you would lose a considerable amount of torque for the gain of more hp which is worthless for most of us[/b]

#643862 - 29/07/05 10:44 AM Re: headers
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Quote:
Please explain, other than increased horsepower makes you step on the gas harder, how incresing engine flow will damage the engine faster???

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#643863 - 22/02/06 06:00 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

any pics of headers installed in an Xterra? laugh

#643864 - 22/02/06 01:55 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although this is old(Jul '05) I wanted to weigh in. A supercharger or a bottle might wear an engine down but I can't see how headers could hurt anything. In fact, we will most likely have to replace our factory headers because of the factory heat shields that are in place. The shields act as header rap (which can be found in a racing shop) to keep the created heat away from the engine compartment. Less heat equals more performance but at a price. The heat will eat holes in the headers, so if you need to replace them, why not go aftermarket?
The only concern is not to expect much horsepower in return. A number of years ago a Mustang Mag dynoed aftermarket hearders on a 5.0 and the swap neted only 1 additional horsepower on a 225 horse motor. So without an intake, or cat back system, please don't look for much. Headers were all the rage for choked 1970's performance cars, but the 2003 and up X's have a pretty decent factory exhaust. If anything, the Y pipe after the headers needs the help.

#643865 - 22/02/06 07:28 PM Re: headers
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Thats the most assenine thing i have ever heard in my life. and i am the master of useless posts.

#643866 - 22/02/06 08:11 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow.. I had to wade waste high in BS to find anything informational.

Still didn't.

#643867 - 22/02/06 10:02 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen Brother!!!!

#643868 - 22/02/06 10:05 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Set of Coated Headers and a catback will reduce back pressure and inturn Reduce under hood temperatures.

#643869 - 22/02/06 10:46 PM Re: headers
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by J.D.M.:
The only concern is not to expect much horsepower in return. A number of years ago a Mustang Mag dynoed aftermarket hearders on a 5.0 and the swap neted only 1 additional horsepower on a 225 horse motor. So without an intake, or cat back system, please don't look for much. Headers were all the rage for choked 1970's performance cars, but the 2003 and up X's have a pretty decent factory exhaust. If anything, the Y pipe after the headers needs the help.
Don't know about the X, but the 5.0 example is an extreme one. Most 5.0s with catbacks will dyno about 10 - 15 on shorty headers and 20 hp on full lengths.

Age is really not an indication of header potential. The LS1 Camaros routinely dyno 30+ from long tubes. The LS7 Z06 dynoed 50 hp higher from only long tube headers, exhaust, and K&N.

How long are these SLR headers btw?

#643870 - 23/02/06 06:23 AM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

i wouldnt mind puttin headers on mind

#643871 - 23/02/06 04:07 PM Re: headers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Quote:
Originally posted by J.D.M.:
[b]The only concern is not to expect much horsepower in return. A number of years ago a Mustang Mag dynoed aftermarket hearders on a 5.0 and the swap neted only 1 additional horsepower on a 225 horse motor. So without an intake, or cat back system, please don't look for much. Headers were all the rage for choked 1970's performance cars, but the 2003 and up X's have a pretty decent factory exhaust. If anything, the Y pipe after the headers needs the help.
Don't know about the X, but the 5.0 example is an extreme one. Most 5.0s with catbacks will dyno about 10 - 15 on shorty headers and 20 hp on full lengths.

Age is really not an indication of header potential. The LS1 Camaros routinely dyno 30+ from long tubes. The LS7 Z06 dynoed 50 hp higher from only long tube headers, exhaust, and K&N.

How long are these SLR headers btw?[/b]
Sorry, got to defend my post, the article I was talking about dynoed the headers on a bone stock 5.0 without a cat-back system. On the other hand GM cars have always landed huge power gains when the exhaust was opened up. They traditionally have some of the most restrictive exhaust systems. You make a good point, a person probably could get some serious numbers on GMs. I just don't want someone to purchase headers thinking that it will solve all the ills of the Xterra's pre '05 power issues. Nissan's own web site credits their $600 cat-back system with 3.7 additional horsepower, not a lot of bang for the buck if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal